Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-29-2020, 03:23 PM   #1
YYC in LAX
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Moving Modem in House

Hey guys,

I would like to move my modem into the basement which I'm pretty sure is the main entry point from my outside the house (electrical panel, ethernet panel thing) and where the ethernet cables run throughout the rest of the house. The Telus guy installed the modem and router on the main level to help with good coverage of WiFi, but I have extenders so that's not a problem.

Main reason I want to move it is so I can take advatange of all the wiring throughout the house. Do I need Telus for this or should I just try moving the modem and hoping for a connection?

Anything else I need to be aware of?

Thank you

Last edited by YYC in LAX; 03-29-2020 at 03:26 PM.
YYC in LAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 06:35 PM   #2
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

PM'd
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 03:19 PM   #3
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC in LAX View Post
Main reason I want to move it is so I can take advatange of all the wiring throughout the house.
Sweet Jesus that would be nice. That would be one of the first things I'd be doing in a house wired like that, setting up the local wired network....
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoinAllTheWay For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2020, 10:50 AM   #4
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Sweet Jesus that would be nice. That would be one of the first things I'd be doing in a house wired like that, setting up the local wired network....
That was my first order of business after we got all the boxes unpacked at our house; take an inventory of all the CAT5 wiring in the house terminated with RJ-11 and buy RJ-45 wall plates and a patch panel.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2020, 11:36 AM   #5
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
That was my first order of business after we got all the boxes unpacked at our house; take an inventory of all the CAT5 wiring in the house terminated with RJ-11 and buy RJ-45 wall plates and a patch panel.
Yeah, I had Cat 6A pulled to several locations in my new place after I took possession. My townhouse had Cat 6 pulled to every room in the whole unit With terminations in the utility room. It was great. I have Cat 6A pulled to the family room, master bedroom and the office in my new place.

Moving a modem shouldn't be hard at all. Worst case scenario, take everything back to where it was before and it should work fine until you can get a tech to come in and do it proper. Right?

Last edited by DoubleF; 04-01-2020 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Cat 6A, not 6e
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 11:39 AM   #6
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

How difficult do you figure it would be to have Cat6 run through a finished house? I assume there are companies that do this?

I simply can't not have this and it's unlikely we would move into a newer community that's likely to have this done when the home was built.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 11:49 AM   #7
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
How difficult do you figure it would be to have Cat6 run through a finished house? I assume there are companies that do this?

I simply can't not have this and it's unlikely we would move into a newer community that's likely to have this done when the home was built.
Depends whether or not there is a conduit installed. Conduit = much easier.

Otherwise, if the home is like mine with no conduit, I paid an electrician for his time to fish cables for like 5-6 hours for 4 cables (3x 2nd floor to basement, 1x main floor to basement) plus terminating them. I'm sure you can do this yourself for way cheaper than hiring a guy if you want. Or do both, and hire a guy to do the main lines and the optional/non-urgent lines you can buy a kit and figure it out over a weekend or something.

Without conduits, some homes are easy to fish cables, others are straight up nightmares. You don't know until you start fishing the cable.
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2020, 12:55 PM   #8
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

The easiest thing is to look for where plumbing or heat ducts run. The guys running the ducts when the house is being built will usually do a rough opening, with plenty of room to run cables through the opening.

Yes, up until this week I never thought that I had a need for a network drop in the dining room.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 09:21 PM   #9
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Where is the best place to get a box of CAT6 cable these days.

Local or online ?

I need to run a copper connection from the basement to my sons bedroom through the attic.
Old 04-23-2020, 12:06 AM   #10
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
Where is the best place to get a box of CAT6 cable these days.

Local or online ?

I need to run a copper connection from the basement to my sons bedroom through the attic.
I bought through Primecables website. It was cheaper than most of the other places I was looking at and seemed more reputable too. They sell on Amazon as well if you don't want to go through their website, but I think the website was cheaper than Amazon.
Old 04-23-2020, 07:29 AM   #11
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks.

For relatively short runs would you go with 5e or 6 ?

Approx 45 - 50 feet.

I would like a little more flexibility when it drops into his room so a cored CAT6 may not be ideal. Its gotta route around beds, desks corners etc...
Old 04-23-2020, 08:03 AM   #12
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.amazon.ca/Ethernet-Inter...d_i=3341311011

This will be the most flexible type.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 12:21 AM   #13
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks.

For relatively short runs would you go with 5e or 6 ?

Approx 45 - 50 feet.

I would like a little more flexibility when it drops into his room so a cored CAT6 may not be ideal. Its gotta route around beds, desks corners etc...
I'd definitely do 6 due to it being 10 gigabit capable vs 1 gigabit in the 5e. But I'm a little confused about what you're saying you're trying to do. Shouldn't you be dropping a line into your son's room, then terminate it into a RJ 45 plate in the wall? Afterwards, you can grab an extra long cable like what Fuzz linked and route it to the device. 50 ft seems like overkill though. You could probably wrap around all 4 walls of a small room with a cable that length.

Otherwise, I'm curious why you're trying to pull a long ethernet cable towards his room when it would be far easier to go with a power line adapter or beefing up your wireless signal strength with mesh network setup with power line built in like the Deco P9.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 04-29-2020, 10:13 AM   #14
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tried the powerline adapters and the thru put / speed wasn't great.

House is 40 + years old so dropping into an existing wall is not ideal.

I'm gonna try a bunch of things but obviously a h/w connection is ideal when gaming / streaming etc...

Just trying to collect information for when / if the other options don't work.
Old 04-29-2020, 03:19 PM   #15
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Tried the powerline adapters and the thru put / speed wasn't great.

House is 40 + years old so dropping into an existing wall is not ideal.

I'm gonna try a bunch of things but obviously a h/w connection is ideal when gaming / streaming etc...

Just trying to collect information for when / if the other options don't work.
It's your call, but in a 40+ year old house, pulling a line to a RJ45 plate in the wall isn't a problem that I am aware of. If anything, it will help to ensure that any regular movement of the cable doesn't cause crimping and damage of a pulled cable, which would be a bit of a pain to replace. By doing so, if the cable is damaged by your son, you just unplug from the wall plate and replace it. It also means that the cable you pull and the cable in his room can be different types with different properties such as flexibility/durability. It also looks way cleaner.