Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2020, 11:32 AM   #1681
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Those were deleted scenes from The Peanut Butter Falcon, right?
Yeah, Shia LeBeouf was pissed because Jake didn't read the script properly for this segment. Archer also went into business for himself and was actually beating up the production crew.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2020, 10:24 PM   #1682
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
Hey Capt, thanks for bringing attention to that smoking skull sessions with Bret Hart as the guest. I finally got around to watching it based on your suggestion.

While I knew Austin appreciated Hart putting him over, I never knew how far that respect went and the amount of credit Austin had for Hart for the birth of SCSA

And holy crap...that burial of Goldberg. I had this playing while I was washing dishes and when Bret said “Goldberg to me was one of the most unprofessional wrestlers there ever was in the business. For Bill Goldberg to be in the Hall of Fame... he hurt everybody he worked with”, My jaw just dropped in shock from what he said. I couldn’t believe that actually made it past the editing and aired, especially with Goldberg being an active wrestler and headlining WM as universal champ.

I also liked how Austin and Hart watched their match in detail and explained everything through. I always figure his interviews were just based on the guest’s careers but getting to see some insight from the wrestlers’ POV was interesting

Hopefully they’ll have Bret on the show again

Where they showed Bret helping Austin bleed in that fight was an example of the artistry of what Bret could do. That promo that he did where he dropped all of the swearing bombs was brilliant.

Bret gets seriously under rated for his work on the mic. That promo, the reunion of the Hart Foundation, Pittsburgh is a toilet were all great promos.

I know in several interviews that Goldberg has expressed extreme regret for the mule kick. But the fact of the matter is that he was rushed through the performance center and into the ring way before he was ready and was never worked with to improve his work.

But if you want to see a damning testimony about Goldberg, it was in Jericho's book where he talked about his feud with Goldberg where he stated that Bill didn't understand the business, believed his own BS and actually didn't care for the business and demanded an end to the angle between him and Jericho because nobody would believe that Jericho could beat Bill. In otherwords Goldberg was a huge Mark for himself.

I know that Goldberg has changed a bit, but he's still sloppy in the ring to the point where he damned near killed himself and Undertaker in Saudi Arabia.

That whole Bret interview was exceptional, especially how he described his encounter with Vince in Montreal where he thought about attacking Vince while he was naked and then decided not to because it would be way to absurd.

The biggest take away, and its been known for a while is that Austin really has a lot of respect for Bret and believes that Bret made him and propelled him into the stratosphere career wise.

I also believe that Bret is not only one of the best workers in the business, but one of the best story tellers that's ever existed in the business. While I admire what Michael's can do in the ring and a lot of his character stuff, Bret was just plain better, not as flashy but better, Sean though was better on the mic.

Oh and there's this narration that Bret didn't draw as a champion. He certainly drew well in Europe and Canada. The question is did he draw in the US. The answer that he didn't draw that well in the states, however he was the face of the WWE during the start of the Monday Night Wars when audiences were split and the WWE overall was at a low point all over the map. But he did open markets that the WWE didn't have at the time.

Sean Michael's didn't draw that well during the Monday Night Wars, nor did Diesel. The guys that did draw like Stone Cold did because they were new and fresh and a generational change from the tried and true heel face formula.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 10:02 AM   #1683
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
I've been enjoying the Old School Wrestling Reviews on youtube. I started off just checking out the big PPVs from when I was a kid, but started to really like the format and am going to start from the beginning. You can see most of the big spots, but cuts down on a lot of the dull content or cover it with more interesting converstion. Really well edited for a 2 hour show. It's so nice when you find a youtube channel you like with 5 years of content.

I've since crushed the OSW series and it might be my favourite wrestling thing ever. I'm doing a shameless self bump as many people are starting to exhaust their regular entertainment options.

They do a bunch episodes covering different era's of wrestling, some of the era's done so far: Hulkamania, Rise and Fall of ECW, Rise and Fall of TNA, Death of Nitro, The Dungeon of Doom, etc. and they are currently working through my favourite era: The Lex Express.

They also seem to have some sort of deal with the WWE , they have to get episode approval from the WWE and aren't monetized on youtube (as all their content is pretty much stolen), but they get to keep all Patreon money. They must have some fans in Titan Tower to be getting such soft treatment.

Last edited by Matata; 03-24-2020 at 10:10 AM.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 10:37 PM   #1684
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1242666935713579008

Old 03-26-2020, 08:56 AM   #1685
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thought the Matt Hardy/Jericho segment that closed Dynamite last night was just okay. The teleportation bits is the type of goofy #### I love about wrestling. The in-ring promos weren't great.

That said, Jericho cutting a promo on a freaking drone (Vanguard 1) and it being absolutely hilarious is another example of why he's the GOAT.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2020, 10:05 AM   #1686
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the mistake that was made with Hardy was aligning him with the Elite against the Inner Circle.

That feels like a weird intro for a character who's supposed to be this supernatural wild card.

If they needed a 5th team member for the Blood and Guts match then I'm surprised they didn't just make it Moxley, who is already entangled in the fued with the Inner Circle anyways.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2020, 10:16 AM   #1687
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Matt Hardy would have been better used throwing a plot wrench into the Dark Order plans at the same time Brodie Lee was introduced. I think most people expect his weird character to clash with the Dark Order's weirdness, and it would have put a more efficient highlight on two new guys (including Brodie Lee) to continue evolving the Dark Order story. Evil Uno is also very underrated at creating some drama in the mid-card balance, and would have been a good foil for Hardy.

Some sort of triple threat dance between Brodie Lee / Matt Hardy / Chris Daniels would have been a great PPV match.

You gotta get some traction with the Broken character before he takes on the Inner Circle. The character needs a slow build to be done right.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2020, 03:11 PM   #1688
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agreed, especially since the mid-card is where they could use some help.

I like that AEW is bringing something different, but there are times when the booking decisions feel very WCW.

Matt Hardy being forced into the Elite vs Inner Circle drama for his debut was one of those times. That was right of the WCW playbook of pushing all new names right into the NWO drama instead of giving them their own build.

The other thing that I've struggled with is the booking of Kenny Omega. He's the most talented guy on that roster, and I feel like he's just lost behind Cody and Jericho in this Elite vs Inner circle fued.

He isn't getting much mic time, his matches have been just okay, and then they've done stuff like last night where it felt like he was destroyed by Guevara for the whole match only to sneak out a victory at the end. Just feels like weird deployment of a guy who should be the biggest star in the company.
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2020, 04:19 PM   #1689
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post

He isn't getting much mic time, his matches have been just okay, and then they've done stuff like last night where it felt like he was destroyed by Guevara for the whole match only to sneak out a victory at the end. Just feels like weird deployment of a guy who should be the biggest star in the company.
I think they're trying to go the route of "elevate everybody" at once, which is noble (this is why the Elite lose matches), and give guys like Darby Allin and Guevara a chance to shine. That said, only guys like Jericho and Dustin Runnels should be doing that right now. Guys like the Bucks and Omega need to be elevated too.

On Omega specifically - I don't know why they haven't established him and Moxley as their aces. Omega seems to be in this mid-card churn, when he should be main-eventing matches. He is supremely talented - and he's had matches that demonstrate it on Dynamite. He's in his prime and his style of wrestling is likely going to only last for another 3-5 years before he drops pace, so the time to pull the trigger on him is now.

Also, I don't know why Hangman Page is so popular. I don't get the appeal. Average wrestler with an average character.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:45 PM   #1690
takeyourvitamins
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
I've since crushed the OSW series and it might be my favourite wrestling thing ever. I'm doing a shameless self bump as many people are starting to exhaust their regular entertainment options.

They do a bunch episodes covering different era's of wrestling, some of the era's done so far: Hulkamania, Rise and Fall of ECW, Rise and Fall of TNA, Death of Nitro, The Dungeon of Doom, etc. and they are currently working through my favourite era: The Lex Express.

They also seem to have some sort of deal with the WWE , they have to get episode approval from the WWE and aren't monetized on youtube (as all their content is pretty much stolen), but they get to keep all Patreon money. They must have some fans in Titan Tower to be getting such soft treatment.
Happy days are here again!

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
takeyourvitamins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 03:13 AM   #1691
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Thought the Matt Hardy/Jericho segment that closed Dynamite last night was just okay. The teleportation bits is the type of goofy #### I love about wrestling. The in-ring promos weren't great.

That said, Jericho cutting a promo on a freaking drone (Vanguard 1) and it being absolutely hilarious is another example of why he's the GOAT.
Was only half watching but went back and restarted that once I realized what he was doing, so good

The goofy stuff is great too while they are in this situation
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 03:21 AM   #1692
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really hope they lean into the goofy stuff for the taped wrestlemania

Have the undertaker shoot lightning at styles

Just run wild with the fiend vs cena match

I know reigns pulled out, thank god with his health issues hes in the group most at risk, but have someone wrestle goldberg in a mocap suit and have them cgi roman in

I really hope they use this opportunity to be super creative
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 07:16 AM   #1693
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yup. They should be doing lots of random locations too, if it’s going to be pre-filmed with no fans then you might as well do lots of falls count anywhere type of matches.

With Roman our of WM they should give that spot to Daniel Bryan and have him take down Goldberg Probably too risky for Goldberg to hurt him though
Old 03-27-2020, 09:12 AM   #1694
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I would be surprised if Bryan does anything suppossedly he has a autoimmune condition according to his wife.

They're doing the falls count anywhere concept with Chiampa and Gargano in two weeks.

Old 03-27-2020, 10:10 AM   #1695
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Also, I don't know why Hangman Page is so popular. I don't get the appeal. Average wrestler with an average character.
Disagree on Hangman. I think he's done a fantastic job of getting himself over since the start of the year and his matches have been much better. He's been the most entertaining member of The Elite for me in 2020.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 10:45 AM   #1696
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

To each their own. I change the channel whenever he's on.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:06 AM   #1697
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I would be surprised if Bryan does anything suppossedly he has a autoimmune condition according to his wife.
He has vitiligo, which is a loss of pigmentation of the skin. It's an autoimmune disease. I have the same thing.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 07:34 PM   #1698
The Familia
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ummm just scanned past Smackdown and the Firefly Funhouse was on....dear God, how is this #### still on? That was so cringeworthy.
William Jennings Trophy - 2006
The Familia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 12:26 AM   #1699
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

WrestleMania 36 is going to go down as one of the most spectacular disasters in modern history.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 05:50 PM   #1700
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eh. It's not even a blip on the radar in terms of how weird things are generally right now. It will stand out among other PPVs for obvious reasons. But I believe in pro-wrestling's ability to put out bigger, more disastrous trainwrecks going forward.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post: