Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2019, 08:13 PM   #541
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I have some -7C sleeping bags currently, but they're more of a car camping weight and and size. They don't compress much for backpacking. I remember using them in mid-June during a trip to Yellowstone when there was still snow on the ground and it was tolerable, but not what I would call comfortable. Kind of wondering what would be worthwhile to invest in. Definitely not doing any intentional camping in winter or in sustained sub-freezing temperatures.

Trying to outfit a whole family is expensive.
I would look for 650 full weight down seeping bags that are properly EN rated for 0C for the gender of the person. So that is the EN Limit for men and En comfort for women. I find the 650 down is a good compromise between weight and cost. You end up with about a 2 lb or so bag that compresses to about 8L.

I bought two of these for my wife and daughter

https://www.sportchek.ca/product/331...5712=331845721

I think I stacked a bunch of coupon codes and got them under $200 each.

The other option is you can get compression sacks to reduce the volume of a car camping bag and suck up the weight. If it could be a one time thing than that might be a better choice.

I use a sleeping quilt for myself, they cut out more weight but aren’t for everyone. https://ugqoutdoor.com/custom-made-top-quilts/
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2019, 08:58 PM   #542
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJolg View Post
Great pic! Makes me wish my pup was young again so we could get back out shed hunting

Aw. Let me know if you want a couple of Mitch's sheds. Maybe you could hide them around the yard. Or take them on walks. There's a small moose shed that would be really fun to hide and find.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 10:38 PM   #543
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Trying to outfit a whole family is expensive.
https://www.mec.ca/en/gearswap/

Also of course kijiji. Spirit West used to sell used/consignment gear - they probably still do, but I haven't been in years (never to their new location). Pretty good consignment store in Canmore, and I've heard there's a good one in Cochrane (never been though).

Another good thing to remember re: sleeping bags is that the actual temp at your campsite is likely at least a few degrees colder than whatever the nearest forecast location said. Also, sleeping alone is a lot colder than with an adjacent meat bag (cold sleepers/crappy sleeping bags in the middle). And, ventilation is your friend (especially with lots of people in the tent) - keeping everything sealed up will feel a few degrees warmer as you go to bed, but the 90% humidity a few hours later will chill you to the bone.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 10:41 PM   #544
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
https://www.mec.ca/en/gearswap/and I've heard there's a good one in Cochrane (never been though).
Decent selection, prices are a bit out to lunch on some stuff though.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 04:50 AM   #545
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

-7 - -9 is a good range for camping in the Rockies. Definitely down if you want somethign that is compressible and lightweight.

A sleeping bag liner isn't a bad idea as well - it helps add a couple degrees of warmth and keeps your bag cleaner....the silk ones are pretty luxurious.

And of course, a sleeping pad is pretty much a requirement as well, both for comfort and the insulation they provide from the ground. Thermarest makes some good products - I like the NeoAir as it's way more comfortable than the ProLite I had before. If budget is an issue you can survive with a foam pad but the Thermarests are much more comfortable.

Last edited by Torture; 04-28-2019 at 04:53 AM.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 10:57 AM   #546
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a spring-time moderate level hike? It's far too early in the season for any of my go to hikes but I am looking for something around 2-3 hours in length and I was thinking even Drumheller. Not sure what's out that way though. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 11:50 AM   #547
billybob123
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
... I was thinking even Drumheller. Not sure what's out that way though. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Horsethief Canyon is pretty easy to get to and has some amazing colours. Can also potentially see fossils. You can go as far or short as you want.
billybob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to billybob123 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2019, 12:18 PM   #548
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
Does anyone have a recommendation for a spring-time moderate level hike? It's far too early in the season for any of my go to hikes but I am looking for something around 2-3 hours in length and I was thinking even Drumheller. Not sure what's out that way though. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Prairie mountain is in shape year round, don’t even need micro spikes anymore pending yesterday’s storm. Moose Mountain opens May 15th and usually you can get to the false summit without snow and then you can posthole to the true summit or turn around.

My favourite early season hike is Nahahi Canyon. Once the road to elbow falls opens up May 15th it is usually accessible. You take the little elbow trail for about 5k. Then hike up beside a drainage. Then there is a short slot canyon to navigate until you get cut off by a huge cliff. If water is flowing through the drainage you probably don’t want to do it but usually Mid May it’s accessible.

All of these are down the highway 66 out past Bragg Creek.

They might be a little longer than 2-3 hrs though

Lake Minnewanka / Stewart Canyon in Bannf should be in shape by now just muddy. Tunnel Mountain and Sulphur mountain are likely close as well. It looks like they have closed the backside of Sulphur mountain this year to do tree thinning. That’s unfortunate as it is a great wide open view hike up the backside of Sulphur and because it’s west facing melts out early. It’s much better than the trail on the Gondola side.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2019, 07:23 PM   #549
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn't be able to compress my current sleeping bags, they're the flannel type and I can barely get them into their mssive packs now without forcibly squeezing it between my legs

Yeah, I think I will head over to MEC during the spring gear swap event and see is there are any deals to be had for some sleeping bags. Would like to keep it under $150/each. I assume kids don't really need a special sized sleeping bag, right?

Received the Papa Hubba today and set it up in my basement. I was amazed by how small it compacts. Also pretty intuitive to set up and remarkably I didn't need to finesse it too much to get it back into its little sack. I was going to wait until the rest of my family was home to see how we al fit, but the cat was pacing around with a look in its eyes that it wanted to scratch something. I don't now if the nylon is scratch resistant, so I quickly took it down and put it away.

I had originally thought we might only take the tent to Iceland, but if we can get some 4 sleeping bags here and stuff everything into a duffel bag for the flight that would be ideal, instead of renting sleeping bags there for what it would cost to buy them here.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 12:20 PM   #550
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Looking for a recommendation around Calgary for hikes. Preferably around Canmore. Nothing requiring snowshoes. No spikes would be nice too. I know that severely limits options but that’s ok. I can rent/buy spikes if absolutely necessary. I’ve done Grotto but only in the summer.

Haven’t been to Canmore in a long time and I know there’s lots of trails around town. Wondering if there’s anything more around town than inside it.

Someone recommended going to the Nordic Centre as they have some groomed trails.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 01:23 PM   #551
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Looking for a recommendation around Calgary for hikes. Preferably around Canmore. Nothing requiring snowshoes. No spikes would be nice too. I know that severely limits options but that’s ok. I can rent/buy spikes if absolutely necessary. I’ve done Grotto but only in the summer.

Haven’t been to Canmore in a long time and I know there’s lots of trails around town. Wondering if there’s anything more around town than inside it.

Someone recommended going to the Nordic Centre as they have some groomed trails.
Oh my god don't walk on a x country ski trail. Those skinny dweebs will kill you. Like it's pretty much the worst offence out there now that people aren't covering their cars in honey and parking on the side of the highway all summer. Seriously though it's actually a fine this year if they catch you walking on a groomed trail. The nordic center has one snowshoe loop that I think you can walk on but it's only a couple boring kilometers.

This is a link to some trails close by...

https://albertaparks.ca/parks/kanana...naskis-trails/

Grassi lake is the go to close to canmore hike in the winter. Ha Ling, EEOR and Lady Mac are the spike required uphill walks. A great flat no special stuff required walk is crescent lake at the base of yamnuska. Just be super duper careful about parking at trail heads in the Bow Valley. So many break ins.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2019, 02:10 PM   #552
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's not Canmore, but about the same distance from Calgary.

Barrier Lake (K Country) has some nice and relatively flat trails.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2019, 02:15 PM   #553
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you want to go a bit farther in Chester Lake is supposed to be well packed. Definitely skip the Nordic Centre. I don't think anything around town has that deep of snow. Lots of walking trails there, depends how far you want to go.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 02:33 PM   #554
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Yeah Chester lake is a bit far. An hour or so from home would be ideal.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 03:16 PM   #555
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Yeah Chester lake is a bit far. An hour or so from home would be ideal.

Yeah I might give this a whirl...

https://kananaskistrails.com/below-yamnuska/2011/

I take my dog there all the time. He's a golden retriever and wont hurt you unless I give him the command.
Old 03-21-2020, 03:06 PM   #556
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone been out this containment week?

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 03:12 PM   #557
BowRiverBruinsRule
Backup Goalie

Exp:

It was sort of getting out of Calgary but after a busy day went to Big Hill Springs with my gal and three dogs. Parking lot full. Everyone happy. It was real nice and normal. Outside is good. Maybe go further next time.
BowRiverBruinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 03:26 PM   #558
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Drove out to Elbow Falls just to get out of the house, was busier than I've ever seen. We didn't get out of the car, but it was packed to the point it felt like a viral breeding ground.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 04:01 PM   #559
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Drove out to Elbow Falls just to get out of the house, was busier than I've ever seen. We didn't get out of the car, but it was packed to the point it felt like a viral breeding ground.
Yeah, that's pretty predictable.

First place people will think of/ will come up on Google for a family day out close to town.

However if you get down below the falls along the river bank beyond the falls it's usually way quieter there.

You'll have to drive a bit further to escape the crowds, more so now.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 05:42 PM   #560
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Anybody gone out since the reopening of provincial parks?

I'm not in a rush since I figure the larger animals might be hanging out closer to trails since they've been deserted. Going to wait for human traffic to pick up again to hit some of the more remote ones.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backcountry , backpacking , hiking , tenting , wilderness