Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-13-2020, 03:49 PM   #1
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Learning guitar?

So with the lack of sports I have amped up my guitar learning journey? I started 2 weeks ago and am using the Justin Guitar app (Tried Fender Play, didn't like it). Anyone want to share stories about when they first started and any tips for progression? What guitar do you have? I am starting on a Squier. Btw I am a lefty and found out fast LH guitars are more expensive. Yes, I was suggested by a friend to try and learn right but I don't want to, would rather play left.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 04:15 PM   #2
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I think you are in Ontario, but for locals - my boys and myself have enjoyed lessons here:

http://avenuemusic.ca/

They are local musicians and radio DJs.

It is an easy shortcut to learn with tabs or youtube videos, but I really wished I learned some music theory much earlier. I would have progressed much faster.

Last edited by troutman; 03-17-2020 at 07:40 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2020, 04:52 PM   #3
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've played guitar for a long time but actually wasn't playing much for the last few years. Around November I started playing regularly again and totally fell in love with the instrument again, and I've actually been able to improve my playing considerably in a short period of time.

There is simply an abundance of resources online. I think they key is not to bounce around from one website/youtube channel/app to another all the time. Find a few that you like and try to key in on some lessons there. The other thing is, do the lessons, and then practice in a focused manner, not just messing around while you watch tv. Giving a technique your full attention will help you make strides on that technique much faster. Try to be playing at least a little bit every day.
One of the better youtube channels I've found is "Your Guitar Sage". I also bought a cheap fingerstyle course on Udemy that has been pretty good for acoustic playing.

The other thing that really helps is learn songs that you love. You already know them so once you start putting the pieces together you will gain confidence. Grab some tabs online and focus in on learning them part by part, and then you'll have a repertoire of songs you can always just play and keep practicing to sound good.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994

Last edited by Igottago; 03-13-2020 at 04:59 PM.
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Igottago For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2020, 05:58 PM   #4
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I enjoyed learning from this guy:

Old 03-13-2020, 09:01 PM   #5
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty2hotty View Post
I enjoyed learning from this guy:

This guy is the ####ing man. He’s how I learned. That and a combination of looking up guitar tabs of songs I love. Didn’t matter how hard they were, I found it was easier for me to bust my ass on an impossible song I really really liked, rather than learning in an structured way. That’s probably not the way to do it, but it worked for me.

Good luck.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2020, 07:36 AM   #6
rbochan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If you begin lessons with someone, other than some rudimentary stuff at your first session, your teacher should inspect your instrument to make sure it's set up properly. If they can't do it, they should be able to recommend someone for the service. If they don't, get another teacher.

If you opt for the no-teacher method, take your instrument to someone reputable (i.e. NOT guitar center or other 'mall shop') to have it setup _properly_. DO NOT rely on factory/kijiji setup, I can't stress this enough. A poorly setup instrument makes it so difficult to play - when your ear can hear it, hands can feel it, but the instrument doesn't respond well, it's incredibly frustrating.

Other than that, start learning things that you enjoy listening to. Learn all the parts, not just guitar parts or the melody. Soul and passion will always win out over virtuosity. Even difficult sounding things can be learned by slowing them down to a speed you can handle and working your way up as the muscle memory kicks in. Practice. Alot.

Oh, and never ever ever ever ever ever play Stairway in a music store.
rbochan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rbochan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2020, 01:24 PM   #7
sec304
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am also a beginner. I started taking lessons on my own as well as with lessons since 2020 started. I read the first 4 chapters of "guitar for dummies" and have been practising the major CAGED chords.

I also downloaded the "Tabs" app, although everything there seems too hard for me to try yet.

I will check out the link above to Marty Music.

Any easy songs you beginners like to practice???
sec304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 01:30 PM   #8
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

You are well on your way with Justin Guitar, his site is probably the #1 online resource for starting out — and he has so many beginner songs to work on which is great.

Honestly wish the kind of online resources we have now existed when I was learning in high school.

Biggest thing is to be patient and KEEP AT IT. Learning to play guitar is a lifelong journey so enjoy the ride!
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2020, 02:30 PM   #9
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Some things I had problems with the first year or two of playing:
-Was using too much pressure with my fret hand, causing unwanted finger noise.

-Noodled too much, better to practice scales and parts with a metronome. Although noodling can help develop your 'lick bank', it doesn't improve your skills much.

-Didn't listen enough. I was hitting an extra string or bending notes off key and didn't really notice. You have to really listen to what you're playing.

-My rhythm was spotty at times because I didn't practice with a metronome.

Offhand but I've been trying to learn a second language for the past four months and I find it a million times harder than learning an instrument. I don't know how the Europeans do it. An hour or two a day almost every day for four months and I just barely passed a B1 test.
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Magnum PEI For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2020, 03:09 PM   #10
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum PEI View Post

-Didn't listen enough. I was hitting an extra string or bending notes off key and didn't really notice. You have to really listen to what you're playing.

-My rhythm was spotty at times because I didn't practice with a metronome.
For these I highly, highly recommend that beginners and intermediate players record yourself playing some riffs or chord progressions/songs on your phone and then listen back. It's really eye opening in a bad way, lol.

But it makes you think harder about timing, rhythm and missed/extra notes. It's a hundred times harder to play things in time than out of it and arguably the most important skill to acquire early on.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2020, 03:13 PM   #11
missdpuck
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Learning guitar?

I’m trying to learn ‘Angel’s Son’ by Sevendust. Trying is the word here.

A bit OT but earlier today I caught a really good EZDrummer class on CreativeLive.com.

Their live and rebroadcast classes are free. Check
it out. They’ve got everything from photography to managing a creative business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by missdpuck; 03-16-2020 at 03:17 PM.
missdpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to missdpuck For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2020, 09:56 PM   #12
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sec304 View Post
I am also a beginner. I started taking lessons on my own as well as with lessons since 2020 started. I read the first 4 chapters of "guitar for dummies" and have been practising the major CAGED chords.

I also downloaded the "Tabs" app, although everything there seems too hard for me to try yet.

I will check out the link above to Marty Music.

Any easy songs you beginners like to practice???
I started with I can't get no satisfaction, just the opening riff. Also the opening riff to come as you are by Nirvana is pretty simple. For the major chords I found A and E really simple to get used to but D was a struggle at first. G was not too bad but I hate C. F U C-chord! I think part of it might be because I got smoked by a drunk driver back in 99 and my upper right bone compound fractured and literally came out of my arm, my arm was attached by tendons. So they put a big metal rod in there and a plate and some screws but the radial nerve was severely damaged. I had no movement in my right hand for over a year, had to wear a glove with elastics on the fingers to try and get them to move. I recovered but not fully so it makes it hard to reach some things on the fret board. I think if I work at it enough I can train my fingers to react better, kind of good therapy actually.
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2020, 11:59 PM   #13
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

The first song I learned on guitar was Let Me Be the One by Blessid Union of Souls.. it was for a girl I liked.

It didn't work.

I hate the guitar now. J/k, but please don't learn that song, it's terrible.
Old 03-17-2020, 09:47 AM   #14
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Been playing for well over 25 years myself.

#1 thing, and its been said.

Play songs YOU like. Learning songs you like will keep you motivated, and once you nail that one chord or riff its like a drug.

My first song ever was Come As You Are by Nirvana.

Also, learning to read tablature is good, but learning the basic chords (DAGCE) would be even better IMO.

Have fun!
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 8sPOT For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2020, 12:58 PM   #15
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
For these I highly, highly recommend that beginners and intermediate players record yourself playing some riffs or chord progressions/songs on your phone and then listen back. It's really eye opening in a bad way, lol.

But it makes you think harder about timing, rhythm and missed/extra notes. It's a hundred times harder to play things in time than out of it and arguably the most important skill to acquire early on.

I think the best learning tool for a guitarist is a looper pedal, it forces you to confront sloppiness in your playing, but also encourages you to experiment with your playing and tones. The day after I bough a looper, I dusted off my my metronome and have used it consistently since.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2020, 02:25 PM   #16
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting, I wasn't the only one that started off with Nirvana songs! Relatively easy to play and sound awesome. Great place to start if you were ever into that band.

A couple of other things I've found really helpful in my recent resurgence as a player -- definitely play with a metronome as mentioned above, and learn the notes on the fretboard. The latter isn't as difficult as it seems and it unlocks the language of the instrument for you.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994

Last edited by Igottago; 03-17-2020 at 02:30 PM.
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Igottago For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2020, 04:25 PM   #17
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was || close to getting into learning how to play guitar... then a new video game came out and I forgot about it, repeat for about 2yrs.

I feel like it's something I might still pick up at some point though.

Any suggestions on where to get a first guitar, how much to spend, what other things to buy day1, etc? I feel like if I took the plunge I'd really get into it.
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 04:52 PM   #18
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I started with I can't get no satisfaction, just the opening riff. Also the opening riff to come as you are by Nirvana is pretty simple. For the major chords I found A and E really simple to get used to but D was a struggle at first. G was not too bad but I hate C. F U C-chord! I think part of it might be because I got smoked by a drunk driver back in 99 and my upper right bone compound fractured and literally came out of my arm, my arm was attached by tendons. So they put a big metal rod in there and a plate and some screws but the radial nerve was severely damaged. I had no movement in my right hand for over a year, had to wear a glove with elastics on the fingers to try and get them to move. I recovered but not fully so it makes it hard to reach some things on the fret board. I think if I work at it enough I can train my fingers to react better, kind of good therapy actually.
Here is a cheat to play some common chords all from one basic position, IIRC:

G (320033) C (X32033) A (X02233) D (XX0233)

You are only moving your two big fingers around.

And a kind of F (13X033) - Use your thumb for the 1.

Em (022033)

using these forms you got:

Small Town: G D C - capo 3rd fret
I Apologize: G D C D
I Will Dare: G A Em A
Atlantic City: Em G C G - capo 3rd fret

Last edited by troutman; 04-03-2020 at 03:42 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2020, 06:25 PM   #19
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon View Post
I was || close to getting into learning how to play guitar... then a new video game came out and I forgot about it, repeat for about 2yrs.

I feel like it's something I might still pick up at some point though.

Any suggestions on where to get a first guitar, how much to spend, what other things to buy day1, etc? I feel like if I took the plunge I'd really get into it.
You could look for a used guitar on Kijiji or other used places but you don't know what it has gone though. Fender Squier is a good beginner guitar, it is what I have. They are a great bang for your buck and if you are a righty you are looking at the $200 range. As for where to get you can't go wrong with Long and McQuade, they are fantastic helping you out with any questions and have been around for years.

https://www.long-mcquade.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2020, 06:32 PM   #20
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

My advice is tune your guitar everytime before you play. It makes a world of difference in how you sound.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post: