Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2020, 06:22 PM   #421
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
They passed on Stone because they couldnt afford a 9.5M contract (probably more than $10M in Calgary). Stone doesn’t change the playoff result from last year.
I don’t think people remember how close some of those games were. With someone like stone, probably the best 2 way RW in the game playing in our top 6, the series definitely could have swung the other way.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2020, 06:31 PM   #422
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
They passed on Stone because they couldnt afford a 9.5M contract (probably more than $10M in Calgary). Stone doesn’t change the playoff result from last year.
That's absurd to claim an elite, two way scoring forward in no uncertain terms wouldn't change a playoff series. If that's the case then no team should acquire any single player to attempt to become more of a threat.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2020, 08:22 PM   #423
BigRed
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
I don’t think people remember how close some of those games were. With someone like stone, probably the best 2 way RW in the game playing in our top 6, the series definitely could have swung the other way.
The scores were close but those games weren't remotely close. The Flames were thrashed. Men vs boys.
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 08:49 PM   #424
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed View Post
The scores were close but those games weren't remotely close. The Flames were thrashed. Men vs boys.
False. The Flames were outplayed in Games 3 & 5 and they were better than Colorado in Game 1. The play in Games 2 & 4 was very even.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 09:20 PM   #425
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
False. The Flames were outplayed in Games 3 & 5
The Flames were not outplayed in game 5. When Gio-Brodie or Valimaki-Andersson were out there we were the better team. Smith was no good and neither were Hanifin-Hamonic, but the Flames on a whole were better in game 5 than any other game in the series despite the score.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2020, 10:22 PM   #426
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Nite View Post
Did Forbort replace Regher, in LA? He has looked good, big guy doesn't smash heads, but still can move players, and was seen good enough to be a 1st rounder. Gustaffson not to impressive, he is suppose to be the offensive guy but I think Forbort is out shooting him 6 to 2.
Bort was riding shotgun with Doughty before he got hurt last year-shows he's more than just a depth guy. Hope we can keep him long term, he seems very useful. Big, strong, physical, good at clearing the crease, and moves well for a big man.
Gus has been what Hawks fans said he was-a headache in the D zone, not the greatest skater, scary pinches, scary passes. Supposed to be pretty good on the PP though......
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 10:34 PM   #427
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It does look like Forbort is the one they'll try to keep beyond the season.

However, way too soon to write off Gustafsson, I think he has yet to shine, does have a couple big assists already and it's worth considering that some players take a little time to settle in on the new team.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2020, 10:43 PM   #428
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
Bort was riding shotgun with Doughty before he got hurt last year-shows he's more than just a depth guy. Hope we can keep him long term, he seems very useful. Big, strong, physical, good at clearing the crease, and moves well for a big man.
Gus has been what Hawks fans said he was-a headache in the D zone, not the greatest skater, scary pinches, scary passes. Supposed to be pretty good on the PP though......
From most Kings fans and media, it sounds like the kings were forcing Forbort on Doughty, not necessarily that he was the best partner for Doughty. Think Chris Butler Calgary era.

I think Forbort is decent and I’d like a player like that in the lineup but it can’t be more than on the third pairing and the cap hit can’t be more than $1.5 million. You can’t pay third pairing guys $2 million or more.
Old 03-05-2020, 10:45 PM   #429
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I think Forbort is alright as a Deryk Engelland-type but these Flames can't afford to give out another Deryk Engelland contract.

After this year, it's time to give Yelesin and Valimaki a chance to shine on the third pairing. Get that third pairing done for around $1.5 million if possible.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2020, 12:28 AM   #430
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
From most Kings fans and media, it sounds like the kings were forcing Forbort on Doughty, not necessarily that he was the best partner for Doughty. Think Chris Butler Calgary era.

I think Forbort is decent and I’d like a player like that in the lineup but it can’t be more than on the third pairing and the cap hit can’t be more than $1.5 million. You can’t pay third pairing guys $2 million or more.
Oh yeah, for sure-my point wasn't that Forbort should be put on any team's top pairing by any means, just that he can be more than a depth guy. His mobility and competency with passing means he can ride shotgun for the guys in your top-4. Perhaps he was aquired to be a cheap replacement for Hamonic? I know it's been rumored that Tre wants to re-sign Hammer, but perhaps this is a contingency?
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 05:58 AM   #431
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
It does look like Forbort is the one they'll try to keep beyond the season.

However, way too soon to write off Gustafsson, I think he has yet to shine, does have a couple big assists already and it's worth considering that some players take a little time to settle in on the new team.

For a d-man advertised as all offence, he has just 2 shots on goal in 5 games, plus 1 missed shot. Besides being pretty non-existent defensively, he really hasn’t been as advertised.

But it’s 5 games. Frobert has looked every bit as advertised.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 07:11 AM   #432
BigRed
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I think Forbort is alright as a Deryk Engelland-type but these Flames can't afford to give out another Deryk Engelland contract.

After this year, it's time to give Yelesin and Valimaki a chance to shine on the third pairing. Get that third pairing done for around $1.5 million if possible.
Agreed. But I think we need to keep Brodie for that to be a reasonable possibility.

I also remain a fan of Kyllington who was just starting to get his legs going good before the deadline Nobody seems to have much confidence in him though for some reason, which I guess has to tell you something.

Pairs for next year IMO that would be good:

Gio-Brodie
Hanifin-Anderson
Valimaki-Kyllington/Forbort

Yelesin

I don't think there's much chance we keep Gus, even if we want to.
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 08:20 AM   #433
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

This passing up on Stone thing is weird to me. Maybe I’m in the minority, but sounds like it was pretty clear Stone wasn’t going to sign here. So when evaluating the assets we would have parted with, it’s not a comparison point to what Vegas did because they knew Stone wanted to be there.

Stone rejected Calgary as a long term destination which rightfully so dictated a far more cautious approach from BT on assets like Valimaki. (I obviously don’t know this to be fact, but seems to be the consensus from insiders like Friedman that Stone was very focused on Vegas as his long term landing spot).
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2020, 08:50 AM   #434
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
That's absurd to claim an elite, two way scoring forward in no uncertain terms wouldn't change a playoff series. If that's the case then no team should acquire any single player to attempt to become more of a threat.
I am talking about a specific playoff series not any playoff series. I am talking about the absolute abuse the Flames took in round one and were dominated in 4 straight games after winning the first game.

Does Mark Stone turn last years 5 game kick in the teeth into a series or cup win?
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 09:01 AM   #435
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
This passing up on Stone thing is weird to me. Maybe I’m in the minority, but sounds like it was pretty clear Stone wasn’t going to sign here. So when evaluating the assets we would have parted with, it’s not a comparison point to what Vegas did because they knew Stone wanted to be there.

Stone rejected Calgary as a long term destination which rightfully so dictated a far more cautious approach from BT on assets like Valimaki. (I obviously don’t know this to be fact, but seems to be the consensus from insiders like Friedman that Stone was very focused on Vegas as his long term landing spot).
This. Calgary could have paid the same price as Vegas (or maybe more just to be sure) and landed Stone for a 1/4 season and a playoff round or two. Then they lose Stone.

A couple years ago the Jets paid a pretty big price to get Stastny. And they enjoyed moderate PO success. Then he fled. I suspect in hindsight they’d rather have kept the pick (and whose to say they don’t get the same rough result in that PO)?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 09:09 AM   #436
BrennyBaller
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I've personally been pleasantly surprised with Forbort, and quite underwhelmed with Gustafsson.

Forbort has made some great plays on 2 on 1 and 3 on 1. Has a good stick, and uses his body well.

Gustafsson has made some bad passes, and seems to not handle the puck well for a guy who is offensively gifted. 3 times already hes bobbled a puck thats lead to a loss in possession in the O zone. He's also lethargic in the D zone.

It's a small sample size, but so far when Hammer is back, I'd probably take out Gus.
BrennyBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BrennyBaller For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2020, 09:34 AM   #437
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
For a d-man advertised as all offence, he has just 2 shots on goal in 5 games, plus 1 missed shot. Besides being pretty non-existent defensively, he really hasn’t been as advertised.
IMO Gustafsson has been a downgrade on Kylington. I would love to see Kylington get a chance opposite Forbort.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2020, 10:06 AM   #438
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

I always thought the best part of Gustafsson's game was his shot, and we have not seen it nearly enough since he arrived.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 11:03 AM   #439
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post

Was it clear Stone was not going to sign?

The only thing I saw was that Stone gave no indication of his intentions to sign post trade, and it was a bit of a surprise that he did sign right away in Vegas.

Either way, it's obviously a hindsight argument, to state Calgary should have thrown a bunch of large assets at Stone. However, I do think it makes a difference as to how the Flames are perceived in future negotiations with upcoming UFAs.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 11:45 AM   #440
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Was it clear Stone was not going to sign?

The only thing I saw was that Stone gave no indication of his intentions to sign post trade, and it was a bit of a surprise that he did sign right away in Vegas.

Either way, it's obviously a hindsight argument, to state Calgary should have thrown a bunch of large assets at Stone. However, I do think it makes a difference as to how the Flames are perceived in future negotiations with upcoming UFAs.
for some of us on this board it's not a hindsight argument.

The biggest hindsight argument/fabrication is that the flames wouldn't have been able to sign him or that the had expressed interest in signing only with Vegas.

If that was the case then the flames wouldn't have been in on him so hard.

The difference was Vegas kept the salary open to add at the deadline and the flames wasted it on neal. Vegas could do a deal without sending salary to the cheapest franchise in the league and the flames had to move salary to complete the transaction.

The price to move salary was a heck of a lot more expensive than the deal that didn't involve salary, so he ended up in Vegas.

There is not some big mystery when it comes to signing elite players.

If the flames were in on stone until the 11th hour it's because they expected to keep him.

I would have moved Andersson and valimaki plus the 2 firsts to grab stone and get out from under Neal. Considering what the flames ended up having to do to move Neal, I consider that a bargain.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post: