Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2019, 03:25 PM   #3981
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Does WestJet play the same game with their 15% promos?
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 08:56 PM   #3982
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had a 40% off coupon good for four tickets that worked out well. Actually saved $400 on flights and went direct instead of a layover.

Now they haven’t gotten to screw me again yet but the coupon was actually valuable.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 06:52 PM   #3983
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I had a 40% off coupon good for four tickets that worked out well. Actually saved $400 on flights and went direct instead of a layover.

Now they haven’t gotten to screw me again yet but the coupon was actually valuable.
I am sure there are some situations where it works out. I just haven't found anything where the promo code was anybody because of how the carrier surcharge / base fare work. It's like the airlines can do whatever they want based on some pedantics.

"Ah, we're losing too much money on promo codes and air mile problems, lets make the base fare $1, and make up a new charge".
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 10:56 AM   #3984
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Flying to Mexico tomorrow morning. List of priorities:

1. The flight departs
2. It departs somewhat close to the departure time
3. No drunk, stupid people sitting next to me or near me.

On my flight back from Caifornia in November, a lady put a huge blanket over her head for the entire flight, which made her look like a red ghost, or red lampshade. Not bad, just strange.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 11:37 AM   #3985
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's probably because people are annoying.

Spoiler!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 02:01 PM   #3986
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post

1. The flight departs

On my flight back from Caifornia in November, a lady put a huge blanket over her head for the entire flight, which made her look like a red ghost, or red lampshade. Not bad, just strange.
4. Not being ripped off by cheating customs agents.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2020, 11:37 AM   #3987
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone have a suggestion on what type of car to rent in Scotland for 2 adults and 2 golf bags and other luggage?

Also any suggestions on which site to book through? Pickup and drop off will be in Glasgow.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 11:49 AM   #3988
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got an incredible deal through https://www.autoeurope.ca. It was ~$450 for ~3 weeks.

I will say it did not go 100% smoothly, but that is becuase Europcar was staffed by morons, and our 3 hour delay mucked stuff up. Be prepared for a long wait at Glasgow, no matter who you rent from. All the companies had lots of customers waiting for eternity. If you go Europcar there is a non-obvious screen to enter your info which gets you a place in line. If you can pre-register ahead of time, I highly recommend doing that, but their site didn't work for us.

If you want to use your credit card insurance, make sure you have a print out, or it saved on your phone. The moron would not let me decline it until he saw proof I had coverage, which meant running back to the main terminal to get wifi and downloading it.

Maybe look at a Skoda wagon for a rental. We had a Fusion but I'm not sure you could get 2 golf bags in.

Last edited by Fuzz; 02-18-2020 at 11:51 AM.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2020, 11:54 AM   #3989
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I got an incredible deal through https://www.autoeurope.ca. It was ~$450 for ~3 weeks.

I will say it did not go 100% smoothly, but that is becuase Europcar was staffed by morons, and our 3 hour delay mucked stuff up. Be prepared for a long wait at Glasgow, no matter who you rent from. All the companies had lots of customers waiting for eternity. If you go Europcar there is a non-obvious screen to enter your info which gets you a place in line. If you can pre-register ahead of time, I highly recommend doing that, but their site didn't work for us.

If you want to use your credit card insurance, make sure you have a print out, or it saved on your phone. The moron would not let me decline it until he saw proof I had coverage, which meant running back to the main terminal to get wifi and downloading it.

Maybe look at a Skoda wagon for a rental. We had a Fusion but I'm not sure you could get 2 golf bags in.
Thanks for the info. Were flying in late on friday night so was going to just crash in a hotel for a bit than grab the car in the morning. Maybe it won't be as busy then.
Old 02-18-2020, 03:33 PM   #3990
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

1. The flight departs

Update: things couldn't have gone smoother. Left at 6am and was checked into the resort by noon.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 03:35 PM   #3991
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Update: things couldn't have gone smoother. Left at 6am and was checked into the resort by noon.
I always find mexico flights to be pain free. But I book the early flights - you seem to miss out on hooligans generally.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2020, 02:00 PM   #3992
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Those flights to Japan are amazing, but what are accommodations going to be lie during the summer around the Olympics? Should it matter?
Old 02-27-2020, 02:11 PM   #3993
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Those flights to Japan are amazing, but what are accommodations going to be lie during the summer around the Olympics? Should it matter?
Well, there might not be any Olympics...

Or alternatively if there is, if you stay somewhere other than Tokyo you'd be fine.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 09:47 PM   #3994
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anybody flown on Flair?

I just did an online check in for flight, and suddenly my return flight is now showing a completely different departure and arrival destinations. Instead of Kelowna to Calgary, its Vancouver to Prince George. The other weird thing is the flight number is the same for both flights. That doesn’t seem normal. I suppose I have a decent amount of time to take it up with Flair, but starting to have second thoughts about flying with them.
Old 10-25-2020, 05:21 AM   #3995
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

^My mother in law used Flair last year. About a week before her flight they changed the actual flight without notifying her. Same destination but the departure changed by 3 hours. She just happened to be on the line with them about something else unrelated. The flight went fine when she took it - no delays, no frills of course for a very cheap price but still seems like a lack of customer service. I would make sure to verify your flights one week out and then even a couple days before
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 10:06 AM   #3996
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Anybody flown on Flair?

I just did an online check in for flight, and suddenly my return flight is now showing a completely different departure and arrival destinations. Instead of Kelowna to Calgary, its Vancouver to Prince George. The other weird thing is the flight number is the same for both flights. That doesn’t seem normal. I suppose I have a decent amount of time to take it up with Flair, but starting to have second thoughts about flying with them.
My friend is a pilot who knows the industry quite well.

He has advised his friends to NOT fly Flair
(I cannot recall specifics, or only vague details, so won't elaborate further. He was convincing enough that I remembered to not ever consider flying with them)
Old 10-25-2020, 10:33 AM   #3997
RogerWilco
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
^My mother in law used Flair last year. About a week before her flight they changed the actual flight without notifying her. Same destination but the departure changed by 3 hours. She just happened to be on the line with them about something else unrelated. The flight went fine when she took it - no delays, no frills of course for a very cheap price but still seems like a lack of customer service. I would make sure to verify your flights one week out and then even a couple days before
Meh, the big guys do it too. Aircanada changed a return flight last Christmas on us by 6 Hours without even informing us. We ere to be back home at 6pm on Christmas day and ended up back home at 1am boxing day. This wasn't a delay either, they literally canceled an entire flight and didn't tell us. We found out when we were checking in.
RogerWilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 11:31 AM   #3998
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I find it really disconcerting to find this on a first flight with them. It’s this kind of stuff that puts me off of ever using them again.

How does their system change the entire return itinerary just because I checked in? I still have my original booking confirmation.
Old 10-25-2020, 11:42 AM   #3999
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I find it really disconcerting to find this on a first flight with them. It’s this kind of stuff that puts me off of ever using them again.

How does their system change the entire return itinerary just because I checked in? I still have my original booking confirmation.
Does the correct flight and time still exist if you do a new booking search?
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 12:08 PM   #4000
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Does the correct flight and time still exist if you do a new booking search?

Yeah, it’s still there. The only similarities are the date and the flight number. I am assuming a glitch in their system put me on the first leg that plane takes that day, which happens to be YVR-YXS, that then goes YXS-YLW, and then YLW-YYC. Having the same flight number for different flights seems kind of odd.