Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2020, 10:21 PM   #1421
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
The problem isn't the movies themselves, its the fact that as adults we don't want to grow up, we have the attention span of hamsters and cant watch anything serious for 2 hours without something blowing up and some toy to collect.
100%, though I more blame super-hero movies. I was saying on Twitter last week when reading a lot of tweets about The Irishman being "too long" and "boring", that the genre takeover of Hollywood has resulted in an audience with zero attention span who just want 'splosions and one-liners. It feels like all the decent storytelling and dramas have moved to T.V./Netflix, and theatre-going is now just for fanboy stuff; super-hero movies, Star Wars, e.t.c. Its disappointing.

I also feel some of the negativity on social media regarding The Irishman being "boring" is also due to fans of Marvel movies not liking Scorsese's comment that "Marvel movies aren't cinema", and simply bashing his film in return.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 10:44 PM   #1422
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I agree that some Marvel movies lack depth and are poorly-written. Some are great, some are painfully shallow. But we can't change that they have an audience.

However, I don't think it's at all ridiculous to say The Irishman is overlong and drags.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 11:22 PM   #1423
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood was actually pretty good.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 01:54 AM   #1424
sl888
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnarpy View Post
My wife and I went to Parasite on Friday night, I was perplexed as to all the accolades it has received. The writing was well done, as was the acting but I really was left wanting more. As in, it needed more oomph.

My wife watches alot of Korean films and when there is a good one, I watch them with her. IMO, there is much better out there.
It is not the first time I have heard Parasite needing more oomph. I believe there is plenty of oomph when you start to dig. This film will be dissected for years to come. Bong masterfully crafted each scene.

What other Korean films would you recommend?
sl888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 11:00 AM   #1425
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

This one is a couple years old but I watched the Current War - with Beneflick Crumblebutt and Michael Shannon, covering the war between Edison and Westinghouse over what system would become the standard for electricity delivery.
I completely missed it when it came out in 2017 but really enjoyed it. Shannon, in particular, is fantastic.
Tom Holland and the dude who plays Beast in Xmen are also in it.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 12:33 PM   #1426
Bankai
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl888 View Post
It is not the first time I have heard Parasite needing more oomph. I believe there is plenty of oomph when you start to dig. This film will be dissected for years to come. Bong masterfully crafted each scene.

Some of my favourites:

Memories of Murder
Oldboy
Friend
Bankai is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bankai For This Useful Post:
AC
Old 02-17-2020, 01:14 PM   #1427
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bankai View Post
Some of my favourites:

Memories of Murder
Oldboy
Friend
The Handmaiden.

It made my tops of the decade list for ALL film, regardless of origin nation.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
AC, Itse
Old 02-17-2020, 01:23 PM   #1428
Bankai
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
The Handmaiden.

It made my tops of the decade list for ALL film, regardless of origin nation.
Another great one
Bankai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 01:43 PM   #1429
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

I'd also recommend:

A Bittersweet Life
I Saw the Devil
Mother (another Bong Joon-ho)
The Chaser
The Man From Nowhere
The Wailing
The Yellow Sea
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 02:26 PM   #1430
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I agree that some Marvel movies lack depth and are poorly-written. Some are great, some are painfully shallow. But we can't change that they have an audience.

However, I don't think it's at all ridiculous to say The Irishman is overlong and drags.
I would say that the majority of Marvel movies lack significant depth. But that the whole series delivers on some great character depth if you want to invest in it. It just can show up in surprising places.
Old 02-17-2020, 02:30 PM   #1431
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bankai View Post
Some of my favourites:

Memories of Murder
Oldboy
Friend
The Good, the Bad, and the Weird.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2020, 08:23 AM   #1432
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Recently watched a movie from 2018 called Bad Times at the El Royale, and it was quite enjoyable. I remember it coming out in theatres briefly, but for whatever reason it slipped through the cracks and I never got around to seeing it until now. I'm glad I finally watched it. Fun movie.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 08:42 AM   #1433
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl888 View Post
Train to Busan is great. You'd think a combination of horror, action, comedy, and social commentary wouldn't work. But it's great fun.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 02-18-2020 at 08:47 AM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2020, 08:47 AM   #1434
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Caught Shadow (Zhang Yimou) on Netflix over the weekend. Highly recommend. Slow and confusing for the first half hour, with interwoven plots and deceptions that are only revealed gradually. Then it turns into a wildly imaginative action film. Then a Shakespearean tragedy. And it's all shot in a stunning near black and white. Not like anything else I've ever seen.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2020, 09:03 AM   #1435
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Caught Shadow (Zhang Yimou) on Netflix over the weekend. Highly recommend. Slow and confusing for the first half hour, with interwoven plots and deceptions that are only revealed gradually. Then it turns into a wildly imaginative action film. Then a Shakespearean tragedy. And it's all shot in a stunning near black and white. Not like anything else I've ever seen.
Thanks. I had missed this release by one of my favourite directors (despite the odd misstep). Going to watch it tonight.
Old 02-18-2020, 12:02 PM   #1436
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
I'd also recommend:

A Bittersweet Life
I Saw the Devil
Mother (another Bong Joon-ho)
The Chaser
The Man From Nowhere
The Wailing
The Yellow Sea
Don't forget Oldboy. That and I Saw the Devil are two of the better films I have seen period.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 03:23 PM   #1437
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Don't forget Oldboy. That and I Saw the Devil are two of the better films I have seen period.
Yeah, Bankai mentioned Oldboy above.

The whole Vengeance trilogy is great.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 09:40 PM   #1438
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I watched Midway tonight, I'm a sucker for movies, especially the ones based around historical battles, and Midway has always been fascinating to me. It was the battle that turned WW2 around for the Americans, and realistically the American's should have pounded badly in this battle but a lot of fortunate bounces went their way. However the narrative that the Japanese Imperial Navy was crippled by Midway is a bit of a misnomer they still had a powerful navy and edge, however Midway shocked the IJN and made them hesitate which gave the American's a chance to catch up to the Japanese in terms of ships and quality of planes.

This wasn't a bad movie by any stretch. It did fall into the same trap that Pearl fell into where they tried to cover too many things in a shortened movie. Frankly they didn't need to redo Pearl Harbor though it was exceptionally well shot, they didn't need to cover the Doolittle raid either, there's enough stuff that happens in Midway to make it its own movie.

I did like a lot of elements, against the film is well shot, and for the most part carried by strong performances by most of the actors with Randy Quaid feeling like he was Bull Halsey.

They got a lot of things right in this movie historical wise. They touched on the fatal flaw in Japanese Aircraft Carrier design, specifically around damage control and the design of the hanger deck which really didn't have good ventilation. They also touched on a nice piece of analysis from years later that the Japanese had placed a bomb storage locker under the great big rising sun on the deck.

Where I got frustrated is what they lacked. They could have touched more on Ray Spruance who had a great battle, but the rest of his war was underwhelming. They also could have touched on the Japanese counter strike and the death of Yorkton, which left the American's with one active fleet character in the pacific and was a story onto itself.

Overall it isn't a bad movie, and its a nice watch. But if you want a great movie on Midway you have to go back to the 1976 movie which was outstanding, focused a lot more on the history of the battle and really gave great coverage to all of the personal that took place in that battle.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2020, 12:35 PM   #1439
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I started listening to How Did This Get Made? podcast. Reviews of bad movies are one of my favorite things.

Ex. Master of Disguise. The Hottie and the Nottie.

Last edited by troutman; 02-20-2020 at 09:16 AM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 12:42 PM   #1440
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I started listening to How Did That Get Made? podcast. Reviews of bad movies are one of my favorite things.

Ex. Master of Disguise. The Hottie and the Nottie.
If they're reviewing bad movies, why would they review Master of Disguise?

That film is a masterpiece and anyone who says differently is obviously not turtley enough for the turtle club.