Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2020, 07:11 AM   #3481
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
If it begins to rise further south, how do you handle the entrance to Barclay Parade, the residential parkade entrance and the uproar from the Parkside residents now looking out to an elevated concrete structure.
Right now Anthem is selling the last two phases in the development, and I think they are rolling them out as the premiere units in the two low rise buildings right along the pathway on the north end. This bridge will absolutely ruin some/a lot of the view from them. I wonder if they will see an immediate slow down in interest in them as a result?

Ninja edit: Found the page for it, Landmark by Anthem. Not selling yet but coming soon.

https://anthemproperties.com/propert...at-waterfront/
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 08:21 AM   #3482
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

At this point, is there much reason to not just run it down Centre Street?
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 08:53 AM   #3483
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceUppercut View Post
As a SE resident, If I'm at Ogden road and Deerfoot, I'm just driving the rest of the way to downtown. I would not waste my time parking and taking a BRT at that point.
You'd already be on the bus, right from your own community. That's the beauty of BRT infrastructure...the vehicles can go off the dedicated routes.

What I'm envisioning is a Green MAX line (following the full route all the way down to South Health) running all day, AND express service busses for each community at rush hours (loop the main community drive, 1 stop along the 'green line', then straight to downtown).

Many different routes using the same time saving infrastructure.

The current train line has 7 additional trunk line stops compared to the express concept. I think a train will actually be a bit slower door to door, and a lot less convenient for most rush hour commuters. Green train will be far less functional (despite being more operationally expensive) for other users for the rest of the day.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 01-30-2020, 10:21 AM   #3484
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
I’m not sure I understand your point then. Now you’re saying no tunnel downtown, so why were you talking about tunnel at all? You’re just saying Max BRT the whole route.
What ever would make sense within the budget of the project and deliver good service. I don’t know enough of how a downtown tunnel would be used in a BRT environment. It might be essential in which case build it it might not be in which case it could be deferred. That decision could be based on demand though rather than maintenance requirements. I think Seattle’s bus tunnel shows some of the advantages of tunneling even for buses.

I definitely think you need to go across the Bow and get to center on a dedicated line so you need a new bridge. Maybe with the cost savings you could be underground to 16th like the original plan.

But in general build BRT that is designed in future to be upgraded to LRT as capacity dictates.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 10:34 AM   #3485
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I almost wonder if a single lane elevated busway through downtown would save a lot of money, and not affect the pedestrian environment to negatively. Bonus is exiting into the +15's. You would just separate the north and south to different streets to minimize the impact.

You would still have to deal with the stupid CPR tracks though...

Last edited by Fuzz; 01-30-2020 at 10:36 AM.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 06:18 PM   #3486
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
But 16th Avenue crossing has to be grade separated. I do feel that road, and the pedestrian realm potential of that intersection would have a ton of lost potential and negative repercussions if you have to deal with train crossing arms.
The section for Centre Street N at https://engage.calgary.ca/greenline suggests it will not be grade-separated.

Quote:
The key change for Centre Street N include a surface alignment up the middle of Centre Street with a surface station south of 16 Avenue N.
I doubt there's enough space to go from surface to underpass if the station is anywhere close the 16th Ave. The old Option E which was very similar to this new alignment specifically had a tunnel and underground station under 16th Ave to avoid the problem.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to accord1999 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2020, 12:29 AM   #3487
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
The section for Centre Street N at https://engage.calgary.ca/greenline suggests it will not be grade-separated.

I doubt there's enough space to go from surface to underpass if the station is anywhere close the 16th Ave. The old Option E which was very similar to this new alignment specifically had a tunnel and underground station under 16th Ave to avoid the problem.
It's implied in that and the report that it's at grade, and I feel that's a mistake. At first I didn't mind, but now I believe that they should take this as an opportunity to improve traffic for 16th ave there by having at least trenching the line there so 16 Ave traffic doesn't interact with the LRT, and theoretically have longer light sequences during rush hour since traffic lanes on centre should be reduced.

The major crossing roadways further up the line at McKnight, 96 Ave, and Country Hills have the train going under those intersections to avoid traffic. So 16th has enough traffic that it should be the same. However I could see them not caring about this and why they have compromised in letting 16th be at grade is that road already has a billion traffic lights each block. So they figure the train wouldn't make things worse.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 07:10 AM   #3488
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is it out there yet that the bridge alignment plans to run the line through the houses just west of the Shaw house? This is gonna get ugly.
Old 01-31-2020, 07:43 AM   #3489
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good little Q&A here.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...446991?cmp=rss

Good news, we don't need to worry about a level crossing at 16th. They aren't even building it past there. I thought all the tradeoffs were so there would be a useful north segment? So now they've gotten rid of all the expensive tunneling, but it is still worthless to the north? Well done.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2020, 07:47 AM   #3490
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think I remember them deciding because they were tunneling under the river, even if they couldn't get the NW section past 16th, it still made sense to do it all as one segment, which totally makes sense. But now that they've given up on the north, why even bother with the bridge?

I hate that they've given up like this, but it seems worse than pointless to destroy centre st just to run a mostly useless section of track. Why not just wait until there is enough money to do it properly?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2020, 08:34 AM   #3491
moncton golden flames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

going north to 16th ave does provide a connection to the crosstown brt route which is nice.

moncton golden flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 10:08 AM   #3492
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post

But in general build BRT that is designed in future to be upgraded to LRT as capacity dictates.
Or upgraded to very light rail for the best of both worlds!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Is it out there yet that the bridge alignment plans to run the line through the houses just west of the Shaw house? This is gonna get ugly.
West of? Or north of? Would the Shaw house get cut off and not have any neighbours? It would be like a castle on top of a hill!

https://calgaryherald.com/business/r...up-for-auction

Did it end up selling?

According to the Q&A article, they don't "know" (but perhaps they just aren't telling)
Spoiler!

I understand the idea of a psychological barrier of getting across the river. I just don't see how 16th Ave doesn't pose the same kind of barrier.

It's about 1.2 km to get from the Bow River hillside to the far side of 16th Ave.
Old 01-31-2020, 10:16 AM   #3493
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
West of? Or north of? Would the Shaw house get cut off and not have any neighbours? It would be like a castle on top of a hill!

https://calgaryherald.com/business/r...up-for-auction

Did it end up selling?

According to the Q&A article, they don't "know" (but perhaps they just aren't telling)
Spoiler!

I understand the idea of a psychological barrier of getting across the river. I just don't see how 16th Ave doesn't pose the same kind of barrier.

It's about 1.2 km to get from the Bow River hillside to the far side of 16th Ave.
Yeah, NW of the Shaw house and those other properties that are there are going to be affected.
Old 01-31-2020, 10:36 AM   #3494
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I think I remember them deciding because they were tunneling under the river, even if they couldn't get the NW section past 16th, it still made sense to do it all as one segment, which totally makes sense. But now that they've given up on the north, why even bother with the bridge?

I hate that they've given up like this, but it seems worse than pointless to destroy centre st just to run a mostly useless section of track. Why not just wait until there is enough money to do it properly?
I think the point is that the river crossing is big money - they have a (comparatively) large amount of money now, so by getting to the north side of the river, even if barely across, it makes it much more feasilble to build an extension further north in smaller stages with smaller pots of money.
sleepingmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 10:36 AM   #3495
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Yeah, NW of the Shaw house and those other properties that are there are going to be affected.
Awesome. Those are all multi-million dollar lots (only 1 old cheap house left there)

Old 01-31-2020, 10:40 AM   #3496
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

I imagine the people that live in those houses are the types that have access to their own gaggle of lawyers. That shouldn't drag things out at all.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 10:43 AM   #3497
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seems like a much more difficult route to go Center A St than just going further south down Center and off the bluff at a lower elevation.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 10:55 AM   #3498
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingmoose View Post
I think the point is that the river crossing is big money - they have a (comparatively) large amount of money now, so by getting to the north side of the river, even if barely across, it makes it much more feasilble to build an extension further north in smaller stages with smaller pots of money.
It's just bonkers, because one of the reasons to go LRT in the north is to remove buses, since that corridor is pretty much at capacity. So now you add an LRT line and lose traffic lanes, but still will require all the buses you had previously. So you have just made more congestion with no tangible benefit. I mean, I guess if you wan the bridge now, build the bridge, but there isn't much point in disrupting centre. You could even use the bridge as a busway in the meantime, which would actually be useful. An LRT up to 16th is worse than useless, it's disruptive.
Old 01-31-2020, 11:02 AM   #3499
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
It's just bonkers, because one of the reasons to go LRT in the north is to remove buses, since that corridor is pretty much at capacity. So now you add an LRT line and lose traffic lanes, but still will require all the buses you had previously. So you have just made more congestion with no tangible benefit. I mean, I guess if you wan the bridge now, build the bridge, but there isn't much point in disrupting centre. You could even use the bridge as a busway in the meantime, which would actually be useful. An LRT up to 16th is worse than useless, it's disruptive.
No matter what they build, the south LRT and the north BRT have to have a shared station. Either at 16th Ave, route the BRT over to Eau Claire, or 2nd St & 7th Ave.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 11:37 AM   #3500
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
But 16th Avenue crossing has to be grade separated. I do feel that road, and the pedestrian realm potential of that intersection would have a ton of lost potential and negative repercussions if you have to deal with train crossing arms.
I don't think 16th Avenue would have crossing arms. Wouldn't a low-floor LRT just use signals like other vehicles? Obviously it would get a transit priority signal, but it's just a signal.

Looking at other low-floor LRTs out there, I can't say this looks any worse than how ugly Centre Street already is. It certainly isn't going to "destroy" Centre Street like the existing higher LRTs would have done.
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.45850...7i16384!8i8192
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
c-train , calgary transit , information , lrt , renderings