Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2020, 07:36 AM   #81
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hard to figure out what the role of Backlund is going to be on the team longterm if Lindholm is a center and the Flames continue to try to develop him into a Bergeron type offensive 70 point center who is a yearly contender for the selke and Ryan is your backup defensive center. Backlund does not have the offensive ability to be a scoring winger and he is too expensive for the 4th line.

Would be nice if BT was able to get something for Backlund and use the space for a legitimate longterm scoring option to play with Monahan and gaudreau. Not sure what the market would be like for Backlund but he is a guy who almost certainly is using cap space that could be used more efficiently elsewhere in the lineup given the makeup of this team.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 07:52 AM   #82
Steve Bozek
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Turned it off after a period and a half. The Flames looked flat, and they were beaten to the puck consistently, and badly outshot while I was watching. The worrisome thing to me is that although they’re not a great team, the Canadiens are fast, and the Flames seem to have trouble against fast teams - e.g. the Avs, Canucks.
Steve Bozek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 08:23 AM   #83
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I felt like it was an easy shutout for Price
Old 01-14-2020, 08:30 AM   #84
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Flames fan View Post
I felt like it was an easy shutout for Price
Maybe two or three difficult saves, that's it. In fact, the best chances turned out to be non-shots. Mangiapane had a couple bounce over his stick, for example.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2020, 02:43 PM   #85
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bozek View Post
Turned it off after a period and a half. The Flames looked flat, and they were beaten to the puck consistently, and badly outshot while I was watching. The worrisome thing to me is that although they’re not a great team, the Canadiens are fast, and the Flames seem to have trouble against fast teams - e.g. the Avs, Canucks.
They beat the Canucks 3-0 and then lost one largely due to bad goal tending
Old 01-14-2020, 03:10 PM   #86
Steve Bozek
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
They beat the Canucks 3-0 and then lost one largely due to bad goal tending
I thought the Canuck loss was more than bad goaltending - maybe we just don't see it the same way. I still think they have particular trouble dealing with teams that emphasize speed and forecheck.
Old 01-14-2020, 03:19 PM   #87
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I would put this loss down to jet lag and the team still celebrating the win over the Oilers. They simply were not “in” the game emotionally. In an 82 game regular season it often comes down to who wants the game more.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 05:13 PM   #88
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Maybe two or three difficult saves, that's it. In fact, the best chances turned out to be non-shots. Mangiapane had a couple bounce over his stick, for example.
Does anyone have concern that Mangiapane may not be ready for the role he is being given? Outside of that 3 point game against the lowly Oilers, he is not accomplishing all that much in terms of scoring and seems to get knocked down a lot. The effort seems to be greater than the production
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 07:37 AM   #89
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am irritated.
When the Flames beat the Oilers in first meeting of the season they proceeded to lose 2 straight and give the advantage gained back.
They follow up the hoopla around Tkachuk and another big win over the Oilers thing with another egg layed.

Yeah, I know they had just won 5 in a row. Maybe I make too much of this. I dunno.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 07:40 AM   #90
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

You aren't making too much of this at all. It actually tells us all we really need to know about the team and what needs to change. I don't envy Treliving but I'm fascinated to watch.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 07:47 AM   #91
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bozek View Post
I thought the Canuck loss was more than bad goaltending - maybe we just don't see it the same way.
They had a bad start but with Talbot in net or atleast Rittich playing average I think they get out of the first down 1-0 at the most and have a good shot at winning the game.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 07:59 AM   #92
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Does anyone have concern that Mangiapane may not be ready for the role he is being given? Outside of that 3 point game against the lowly Oilers, he is not accomplishing all that much in terms of scoring and seems to get knocked down a lot. The effort seems to be greater than the production
I think he's the best they can put there unless they think Dube is ready for a shot (and I think Dube is going to be better than Mangiapane eventually).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 08:08 AM   #93
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The frustrating thing is that it's not like anybody didn't see the Montreal game coming. All the media guys traveling with the team were harping on that last let down after beating the Oilers the first time and theres no way the coach wasn't speaking up about the same thing in the room.

It kind of falls on the top players/leaders for needing to ensure that they don't come out with a completely limp first period after that big game, yet still they had possibly one of their worst in the past couple seasons. And not even against a strong opponent - Habs were 8-10 going in at home! Truly ripe for the picking for any road team. But I think they gave them a ton of confidence in the first several minutes with the endless giveaways and they just carried the momentum from there.

The peaks and valleys have been rather extreme which is perplexing. Saturday was one of the most complete games from a 60 minute standpoint to getting contributions and consistent effort from everyone.

Maybe a letdown is inevitable but it just can't be that night and day from the last one. The top guys have to mitigate that a bit at least.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2020, 09:33 AM   #94
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Unpopular opinion time - Maybe Gio is a great lead by example guy so far as off ice training and overall conduct is concerned. But perhaps he isn't as much a light a fire under his teammates guy.

I mean, when you look at the team, how many guys do you think express how much they hate losing in that room?
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 09:35 AM   #95
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Unpopular opinion time - Maybe Gio is a great lead by example guy so far as off ice training and overall conduct is concerned. But perhaps he isn't as much a light a fire under his teammates guy.

I mean, when you look at the team, how many guys do you think express how much they hate losing in that room?
I think you are correct. Terrific at leading by example. But when the guys need the emotional boost or a fire lit under them, he doesn't come across as that guy.

I see Tkachuk being that guy one day soon. Although Monahan has had a letter for 5 years or so, maybe he's a great motivational locker room guy, who knows.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 09:46 AM   #96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
I am irritated.
When the Flames beat the Oilers in first meeting of the season they proceeded to lose 2 straight and give the advantage gained back.
They follow up the hoopla around Tkachuk and another big win over the Oilers thing with another egg layed.

Yeah, I know they had just won 5 in a row. Maybe I make too much of this. I dunno.
They may have won 5 in a row but they weren’t playing particularly well. This team still isn’t very good. It feels like the Second year of Gulutzan. Play poorly all year, get on a hot streak and makes everything look fine but then continue to be inconsistent and end up missing the playoffs.

The rest of the Pacific playoff contenders are not falling off. Vegas is Vegas, a real good team. Coyotes have been consistently good for a good year now. Oilers and Canucks are not falling off like past years.

With how inconsistent the Flames have been this year, it’s a real possibility that they miss.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:51 AM   #97
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I think you are correct. Terrific at leading by example. But when the guys need the emotional boost or a fire lit under them, he doesn't come across as that guy.

I see Tkachuk being that guy one day soon. Although Monahan has had a letter for 5 years or so, maybe he's a great motivational locker room guy, who knows.
While i think this is true, maybe there are too many players that need to be led on this team.

But here's another thing. It's one thing to come up flat consistently throughout the regular season. That speaks to effort and work ethic and yes, maybe leadership..

But in the playoffs, I presume these guys were actually trying and they got steamrolled. What if they are a middle of the pack team roster wise and where they sit in the standings is about where they should be?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 09:53 AM   #98
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Yeah I just don't like this team.

I don't feel that they play all that well even when they win (emotional games aside like Saturday). Something is just missing.

They have the skill to come back, and the skill to win some games that they shouldn't, but they just don't seem to have the mettle to bring consistent results game in and game out (realizing that no team can be "on" every evening).

Is that an NHL wide phenomenon though? Parity and a cap certainly levels the playing field, and maybe each fan base has to be less myopic in how they view their teams.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2020, 09:54 AM   #99
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
While i think this is true, maybe there are too many players that need to be led on this team.

But here's another thing. It's one thing to come up flat consistently throughout the regular season. That speaks to effort and work ethic and yes, maybe leadership..

But in the playoffs, I presume these guys were actually trying and they got steamrolled. What if they are a middle of the pack team roster wise and where they sit in the standings is about where they should be?
Or skilled, not that mentally tough, and when the chips were down they just didn't have it in them to stick to their structure and play the game the way they did all year.

They panicked.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:05 AM   #100
Steve Bozek
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post

I suspect Gio and Iginla have/had similar approaches to being a captain. Sometimes the followers need more than a quiet demonstration of how to do it.