Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-19-2019, 01:10 PM   #1861
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Anyone else baptize their kids 'just because' and feel like a total fraud in church? That was me LOL
The opposite. Didn't get them baptized and every so often get a subtle dig. I figured I'd rather let the kids think for themselves and if they really want to do it they're welcome to explore that.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chedder For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2019, 01:15 PM   #1862
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I was baptized a few days after being born, as I was very sick and the doctors weren't sure I would make it. My parents weren't particularly religious, but my mom hated the idea that a little baby might end up in purgatory just because it didn't have a little water splashed upon it. It is just such nonsense. My folks had enough to worry about, and with the additional burden of Christian guilt tacked on, it is just wrong on so many levels.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fighting Banana Slug For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2019, 01:17 PM   #1863
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Anyone else baptize their kids 'just because' and feel like a total fraud in church? That was me LOL
My sister in law made a huge show of this with both her kids, stripped them naked and fully submerged them in the pool.

Those kids ain't ever been back inside a church since that day.

Just stupid

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2019, 02:51 PM   #1864
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't you need to be baptized to go to a Catholic school? That's what my wife says. She wants to keep her options open.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 03:07 PM   #1865
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Don't you need to be baptized to go to a Catholic school? That's what my wife says. She wants to keep her options open.
Exactly why we did it. It's also closer to our house than the public school. Haha
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 03:18 PM   #1866
Underdog
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Only 1 parent needs to be baptized. Not a requirement for the kid.
Old 12-19-2019, 04:58 PM   #1867
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Only 1 parent needs to be baptized. Not a requirement for the kid.
Right it was potential grand kids she was worried about!
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 05:07 PM   #1868
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
A baptized parent will be given a spot for their child ahead of a heathen. But if there is room in a school it doesn’t matter.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 05:58 PM   #1869
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

I was baptised at birth and then again in my early 20's. If you look up the definition of a sucker born every minute, you'll see my picture.
Old 12-19-2019, 06:33 PM   #1870
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Exactly why we did it. It's also closer to our house than the public school. Haha
I find this more offensive than most of the BS religious people spout.

I went to a catholic school in Calgary (based on my Grandpas baptism certificate). I don't even have that much against catholic schools, and I am generally annoyed by complaints about how governments spends money, but it annoys the hell out of my that taxes are supporting this stupid parallel system, and that come grade five my kids will probably spend 40 minutes a day on the bus, while there is a catholic K-9 2 blocks from my house.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2019, 06:35 PM   #1871
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
I find this more offensive than most of the BS religious people spout.

I went to a catholic school in Calgary (based on my Grandpas baptism certificate). I don't even have that much against catholic schools, and I am generally annoyed by complaints about how governments spends money, but it annoys the hell out of my that taxes are supporting this stupid parallel system, and that come grade five my kids will probably spend 40 minutes a day on the bus, while there is a catholic K-9 2 blocks from my house.
Is it full? Just send your kid and ignore the religious stuff

The thing with Calgary is that the CCSD is better run than the CBE. Smaller class sizes and as an example this year were able to handle the budget cut with previous surpluses.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 07:04 PM   #1872
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Is it full? Just send your kid and ignore the religious stuff

The thing with Calgary is that the CCSD is better run than the CBE. Smaller class sizes and as an example this year were able to handle the budget cut with previous surpluses.
I've gone to CCSD, my sister went to CBE, and I have been a parent in the CBE, and I would bolch at the idea that there is a discernible difference. As for sending my kids, I think my parents were the type to have just never consider the religion question one way or the other, they certainly never provided me with any influence or opinion on the mater. But I am more actively atheist, I don't think I am capable not engage with the obviously problems feeding children religious propaganda.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2019, 07:47 PM   #1873
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No you don’t

But you do need at least one parent to be a Baptized Catholic

Quote:
Old 12-27-2019, 04:13 PM   #1874
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

The creators of a Netflix gay Jesus special was firebombed on Christmas Eve

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...-attack-report
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 04:17 PM   #1875
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
The creators of a Netflix gay Jesus special was firebombed on Christmas Eve

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...-attack-report
#religionofpeace

Quote:
Old 12-30-2019, 07:29 AM   #1876
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

so, there's this...

Quote:
Link between religious fundamentalism and brain damage established by scientists
Quote:
A study published in the journal Neuropsychologia has shown that religious fundamentalism is, in part, the result of a functional impairment in a brain region known as the prefrontal cortex. The findings suggest that damage to particular areas of the prefrontal cortex indirectly promotes religious fundamentalism by diminishing cognitive flexibility and openness—a psychology term that describes a personality trait which involves dimensions like curiosity, creativity, and open-mindedness.
Quote:
Religious beliefs differ from empirical beliefs, which are based on how the world appears to be and are updated as new evidence accumulates or when new theories with better predictive power emerge. On the other hand, religious beliefs are not usually updated in response to new evidence or scientific explanations, and are therefore strongly associated with conservatism. They are fixed and rigid, which helps promote predictability and coherence to the rules of society among individuals within the group.
Quote:
Religious fundamentalism refers to an ideology that emphasizes traditional religious texts and rituals and discourages progressive thinking about religion and social issues. Fundamentalist groups generally oppose anything that questions or challenges their beliefs or way of life. For this reason, they are often aggressive towards anyone who does not share their specific set of supernatural beliefs, and towards science, as these things are seen as existential threats to their entire worldview.
https://www.rawstory.com/2019/12/lin...by-scientists/
Old 12-30-2019, 11:32 AM   #1877
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

I learned recently (can't remember where...perhaps a Ted Talk) that they have identified a certain group of monkeys that have much more flexible brains than humans. If given a better way of performing a certain task, they latch on to it immediately, giving up their traditional way of doing things. Whereas humans, in general, are very resistant to change, which accounts for their various prejudices.

As far as religion is concerned, I am a believer that the spiritual world is much more important to our well being that many of us are willing to admit.
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 01:43 PM   #1878
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfever View Post
I learned recently (can't remember where...perhaps a Ted Talk) that they have identified a certain group of monkeys that have much more flexible brains than humans. If given a better way of performing a certain task, they latch on to it immediately, giving up their traditional way of doing things. Whereas humans, in general, are very resistant to change, which accounts for their various prejudices.

As far as religion is concerned, I am a believer that the spiritual world is much more important to our well being that many of us are willing to admit.
Which spiritual world? the one you made up that is only in your imagination?

I don't believe in, so not important to my well being.
Old 12-30-2019, 02:08 PM   #1879
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, define 'spiritual'.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 02:14 PM   #1880
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

You do not need religion for spirituality.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote