Franchise Player

Exp:

zarley/ac ok thanks, have to rewatch it now
Old 12-14-2019, 05:45 PM   #62
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Here is the rule:

83.3 Delayed Off-side – A situation where an attacking player (or players) has preceded the puck across the attacking blue line, but the defending team is in a position to bring the puck back out of its defending zone without any delay or contact with an attacking player, or, the attacking players are in the process of clearing the attacking zone.
If an off-side call is delayed, the Linesman shall drop his arm to nullify the off-side violation and allow play to continue if:
(i) All players of the offending team clear the zone at the same instant (skate contact with the blue line) permitting the attacking players to re-enter the attacking zone, or
(ii) The defending team passes or carries the puck into the neutral zone.
If, during the course of the delayed off-side, any member of the attacking team touches the puck, attempts to gain possession of a loose puck, forces the defending puck carrier further back into his own zone, or who is about to make physical contact with the defending puck carrier, the Linesman shall stop play for the off-side violation.

The bolded is arguable in this case. He dumped it in and the question is: did he attempt to retrieve it before the zone cleared?

Edit: bolded text didn’t copy. Last para of the quoted rule

Last edited by Duffalufagus; 12-14-2019 at 05:54 PM.
Duffalufagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 05:56 PM   #63
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
If, during the course of the delayed off-side, any member of the attacking team touches the puck, attempts to gain possession of a loose puck, forces the defending puck carrier further back into his own zone, or who is about to make physical contact with the defending puck carrier, the Linesman shall stop play for the off-side violation.
Well, that’s pretty damning. If it doesn’t matter when he gains possession, but when he attempts to gain possession then the call was 100% botched.

In any case, it’s been a great run. Nice to be able to believe in the team again. Hope they leave this one behind them rather than dwelling on it.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 05:58 PM   #64
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
That’s part of the explanation, but I don’t believe for a second that the linesman saw the puck come out and then re-enter the zone. The ruling was justified on the replay on the premise that the Canes player “dumped it in.”

Nine times out of ten when the official sees the puck exit and re-enter the zone in a situation that unfolds as quickly as that, he calls it offside, and there is no controversy..
I doubt it - if you watch the play again, the linesman was sitting atop the boards looking directly at the play and made the washout signal after the puck re-entered the zone. It’s very unlikely that he missed it as the puck was out of the zone by a fair margin.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zarley For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2019, 06:00 PM   #65
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good first but it just wasn't their day...nothing went their way

First regulation loss in what 10 games? move on
Old 12-14-2019, 06:03 PM   #66
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames0910 View Post
Well, that’s pretty damning. If it doesn’t matter when he gains possession, but when he attempts to gain possession then the call was 100% botched.

In any case, it’s been a great run. Nice to be able to believe in the team again. Hope they leave this one behind them rather than dwelling on it.
I just watched it again. I agree. He dumps it in. Then attempts to get it before the tag. It’s a grey area, but i think he did start the attempt.
Old 12-14-2019, 06:13 PM   #67
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched it all on tape delay, thought the Flames dominated overall, but the Foegele/Svechnikov combo had some great looks.

Just didn’t get a bounce the entire game. Reimer was solid too.

If they play with the same effort and execution they probably win 7/10 times.

Surprised nobody is calling out Hanifin for his absolute flyby on the 1-0 goal. He was pretty easily the worst defenseman out there tonight for the Flames. Once Valimaki gets back it will be Kylington sitting but Hanifin’s seat should be warm too. Might be time to sell him while the value is high, which I didn’t think I’d say.
Old 12-14-2019, 06:21 PM   #68
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thought the Flames played well and the score flattered the Canes a bit. Definitely not their best game but far from bad. They didn’t bear down enough and bury their chances. No reason to panic. It was a hell of a streak and they’ve put themselves in a good position now. Can’t win them all.

Janko killed them tonight. He killed their momentum in the first period with that dumb penalty and his turnover and subsequent cheating led directly to the first goal, and the penalty which came as a result that the second goal was allowed on. If I’m Treliving he’s on his way to Stockton tonight. That’s at least one goal and arguably two (though Rittich shares the blame as that was weak) that you could pin on Janko.

Gio and Hamonic struggled tonight. Andersson and Brodie were great.

And one last question: will Backlund ever score again? Poor guy is so snake bitten right now.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 06:25 PM   #69
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
If someone describes Gio as garbage, wtf does that make Janko then? Is there a word to describe that abomination?
Oileresque?
Psytic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Psytic For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2019, 06:41 PM   #70
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Took my grandson to this game, our first live game of the season...pretty depressing outcome.

Giordano has lost a step, Jankowski is pretty well useless, lack of scoring on our power plays killed us.

First period had lots of momentum though.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redforever For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2019, 06:49 PM   #71
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Calling Gio garbage should be immediate suspension.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2019, 06:59 PM   #72
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jankowski needs to be traded for a pick or waived. Useless player who will be out of the league soon.
Zulu29 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zulu29 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2019, 07:26 PM   #73
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Welp, we suck again.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 07:32 PM   #74
Infinit47
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
Watched it all on tape delay, thought the Flames dominated overall, but the Foegele/Svechnikov combo had some great looks.

Just didn’t get a bounce the entire game. Reimer was solid too.

If they play with the same effort and execution they probably win 7/10 times.

Surprised nobody is calling out Hanifin for his absolute flyby on the 1-0 goal. He was pretty easily the worst defenseman out there tonight for the Flames. Once Valimaki gets back it will be Kylington sitting but Hanifin’s seat should be warm too. Might be time to sell him while the value is high, which I didn’t think I’d say.
At least we can all agree the league handled the review properly. It was a lengthy and thorough review with an explanation for the call given to both the Flames and broadcast teams.

It's not like they rushed the call, didn't realize a player was trapped deep, made up an excuse about the Flames putting the puck in their own zone, only to review the play more and come up with an only slightly better reason for the screw up later.

Kudos.
Infinit47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Infinit47 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2019, 07:33 PM   #75
Infinit47
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
I don't think the board should punish people for being mentally ill.
Infinit47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 08:12 PM   #76
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Garbage is hyperbole for sure. But he is not playing at an elite level this. I don’t think he is playing at an above average level either.
The Following User Says Thank You to Duffalufagus For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2019, 08:13 PM   #77
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffalufagus View Post
Garbage is hyperbole for sure. But he is not playing at an elite level this. I don’t think he is playing at an above average level either.
he has been above average over the winning streak
Old 12-14-2019, 08:27 PM   #78
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Thought the Flames played well and the score flattered the Canes a bit. Definitely not their best game but far from bad. They didn’t bear down enough and bury their chances. No reason to panic. It was a hell of a streak and they’ve put themselves in a good position now. Can’t win them all.

Janko killed them tonight. He killed their momentum in the first period with that dumb penalty and his turnover and subsequent cheating led directly to the first goal, and the penalty which came as a result that the second goal was allowed on. If I’m Treliving he’s on his way to Stockton tonight. That’s at least one goal and arguably two (though Rittich shares the blame as that was weak) that you could pin on Janko.

Gio and Hamonic struggled tonight. Andersson and Brodie were great.

And one last question: will Backlund ever score again? Poor guy is so snake bitten right now.
I thought Brodie was our best defenseman tonight.
The Following User Says Thank You to redforever For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2019, 08:48 PM   #79
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinit47 View Post
I don't think the board should punish people for being mentally ill.

That's not nice.
midniteowl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 09:05 PM   #80
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

I forgot to mention something regarding Brodie.

When the jumbotron posted top minutes played by Flames defensemen, Brodie always had the least time...not by a whole lot, but a minute or two.

I am thinking that might be the reason that he has been playing particularly well since he had that seizure? I know the Flames are probably taking it a bit easy with him right now, just for precaution.

But perhaps Brodie is playing better because he has not been handed as many minutes. Last year, he played most minutes many games, and of course made more gaffes. That can be expected playing that many minutes and on the top defensive pair.

Maybe the Flames get the most out of Brodie by giving him the minutes he is presently playing.