Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2019, 05:07 AM   #261
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

So nobody went to Charlies Angels?
RyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 07:32 AM   #262
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Frozen II makes over $500 million domestically. Could be way off base but I see the hype and it appears to be a much better movie than Lion King was.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 07:43 AM   #263
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it’s going to do about the same as the first. Without a signature song I think it opens good but doesn’t have the legs. 120 million open 3.5 multiplier for about 420 domestic and 1.3 billion WW.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 07:48 AM   #264
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb and say Frozen II makes over $500 million domestically. Could be way off base but I see the hype and it appears to be a much better movie than Lion King was.
I had it at $450 for our box office pool but could easily see it go over $500 too.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 07:49 AM   #265
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Box office watching kicks in again with Frozen II coming next weekend. Should easily crest a $100M opening (I think it will be much higher). It basically gets a month to itself before Jumanji and Star Wars, and should even play well through the holidays against those movies. Sky's the limit.
I don't know. It's become a half quadrant movie for girls under 12. The first one started out with broader appeal, but then it became such a big thing to younger girls, that I think boys and older girls wouldn't be caught dead watching it in the theater.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 09:44 AM   #266
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

I'm totally out of touch with what kids are into, but will the 6 year gap hurt it? Has the audience outgrown it or are younger kids adopting to Frozen several years post release?
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 11:57 AM   #267
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I'm totally out of touch with what kids are into, but will the 6 year gap hurt it? Has the audience outgrown it or are younger kids adopting to Frozen several years post release?
My 16 yr old daughter and her buddies have tickets to see it on Friday.

I don't reckon it will hurt. She was 10 and loved it, she is 16 and still wants to see it.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2019, 05:18 PM   #268
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

My 4 and 2 year old boys both love Frozen. I’m taking my 4 year old to it next week.
Old 11-19-2019, 10:02 PM   #269
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

My 11 and 10 year old boys want to go. We took them to the original as well.

They've been on a horror movie binge so I was surprised when they said they wanted to see this one too. I thought they would have moved pasted it but I guess not.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 07:54 PM   #270
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saw frozen with the kids.

Spoiler!

Enjoyable to watch as an adult.

I don’t think it will have the legs of the first.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 10:03 PM   #271
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Saw frozen with the kids.

Spoiler!

Enjoyable to watch as an adult.

I don’t think it will have the legs of the first.
Just took my kids. They liked it. I thought it was a well done sequel, but lack the was lacking a lighthearted gleefulness that went into the first one, especially the songs. I'm thinking that's the part that isn't catching people, it's more heavy than fun, reminds me of all the toy story sequels.

Spoiler!
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2019, 02:34 PM   #272
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Just watched it with the kids. Thought it was great and actually thought the music was better than the first one for the most part. At least on par.

Good story and execution. Guessing I’ll be watching it about 3,000 times so I’m fortunate they did what they did because it could have been a whole lot worse. I’d say it’s probably in A- territory.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 04:04 PM   #273
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

$127 million opening weekend for Frozen 2.

Of Disney's non-Marvel releases this year, its opening weekend performance is ahead of Aladdin and Toy Story 4, but behind The Lion King. It has also already surpassed the total box office takes for both Dumbo and Maleficent.
Old 11-26-2019, 12:19 PM   #274
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Just watched it with the kids. Thought it was great and actually thought the music was better than the first one for the most part. At least on par.

Good story and execution. Guessing I’ll be watching it about 3,000 times so I’m fortunate they did what they did because it could have been a whole lot worse. I’d say it’s probably in A- territory.
I liked the story as well and went into the movie skeptical based on all the critics. Only thing I thought was missing was a real banger. The kids 6/3 loved it and wanted to listen to the songs in the car so I am sure it will make a crap ton of money.

Couple of insights I noticed from being a parent

Spoiler!
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 09:20 PM   #275
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Yeah, I think it’s just a real good movie. Honestly the Frozen franchise has hit 2 outta the park... tough to see them not giving a go for a 3rd and I think this movie will sell a lot of tickets and carry steam in the box office with how good it is. Like, this is a far better movie than Lion King.

Honestly pretty insanely impressive the way Disney and its’ subsidiary studios pump out great quality for the most part and consistently, from Disney to Marvel to Pixar. If this Star Wars movie crushes it..... Guess you get what you invest into things.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 11:04 PM   #276
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think “Show Yourself” might be the most impressive Disney musical number ever. Not just how good the song is but the visuals to go with it and the emotion/power behind it...
spectacular stuff.
Old 11-26-2019, 11:13 PM   #277
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I think “Show Yourself” might be the most impressive Disney musical number ever. Not just how good the song is but the visuals to go with it and the emotion/power behind it...
spectacular stuff.
If you like the music you should check out the Book of Mormons musical. Composed by the same guy. But you won't be able to bring the kids!
RyZ
Old 12-01-2019, 09:56 AM   #278
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Frozen 2 only dipped 35% for the 3-day weekend and made bank on the extra holiday days in the US. Knocking at $300M domestic already, and at $738M worldwide. It's going to blow right past the first movie in both categories, should play well all through December.
Old 12-01-2019, 12:02 PM   #279
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a feeling this might go past Lion King
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 04:34 PM   #280
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

In its third week of release, Frozen 2 has now passed Joker and currently sits as the 7th highest-grossing film of the year (domestic). All of the top 7 for the year are now either Disney sequels/remakes or MCU films.

The Rise of Skywalker comes out in 2 weeks and should give Disney (plus Spider-man) a stranglehold on the top 8 by the end of the year.

At this point, the only remaining film that has a chance of breaking up the Disney block is Jumanji. If it can repeat (or better) the performance of the original (reboot) from a couple of years ago, it would finish ahead of Spider-man and Aladdin.