Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-22-2019, 01:02 PM   #121
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Clearly Musk was snorting whatever Delorian was selling.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 01:08 PM   #122
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Ya, you would think without an ICE they could package all the equipment into a smaller space and still maintain a full size truck bed while having the overall size of the truck be smaller. It doesn't really look like they achieved that, but I haven't compared dimensions with an F-150.
Yeah I haven't compered it yet, either. I'm wondering about the length, too. I was hoping they'd be able to lop off three or four feet from the front end compared to an F-150 since there isn't a big ICE up front.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 01:26 PM   #123
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I read it was 231 Inches long. So I guess it's a little bit shorter

• 231.9 in (5,890 mm) (SuperCab 6.5' box/SuperCrew 5.5' box)
  • 243.7 in (6,190 mm) (SuperCrew 6.5' box)
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2019, 01:46 PM   #124
TheyCallMeBruce
Likes Cartoons

Exp:

Solid State Battery powered cars are coming.
Pro
- longer mile range. Some have theorized that a car with SSB can have as much as 1200km on a single charge
- battery is lighter.
- not impacted by the cold weather

Con
Very expensive. Insanely expensive. however, price is coming down.

Toyota thinks they'll have one by 2020.
https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/t...-cars-by-2020/
TheyCallMeBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 07:44 PM   #125
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Paint it rust brown and put on a Jawa costume.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2019, 09:35 PM   #126
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Clearly Musk was snorting whatever Delorian was selling.
DeLorean came up with a timeless design, this Tesla monstrosity is either a prank or Musk has lost his marbles.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 08:29 AM   #127
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

I’m loving this, sounds like they released a vehicle enough people dislike that I might actually be able to afford it in a few years!
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2019, 09:29 AM   #128
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2019, 10:27 AM   #129
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I quite like the idea of an electric truck. I drive my old beast 60km a day. I always seem to be hauling something around. I don't do the weekend travel trailer thing so a vehicle I can drive 150km a day and load up with lumber that has 4 wheel drive is appealing. But I am not quite ready for one looking like Tesla's.
Old 11-24-2019, 11:57 AM   #130
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
DeLorean came up with a timeless design, this Tesla monstrosity is either a prank or Musk has lost his marbles.

It might have been a timeless design, but overall it was just a badly designed car with poor performance and driving characteristics. DeLorean was too obsessed with style over the actual car, and it flopped badly, it was only due to Back to the Future that we talk about it with any kind of reverence.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2019, 12:06 PM   #131
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
I quite like the idea of an electric truck. I drive my old beast 60km a day. I always seem to be hauling something around. I don't do the weekend travel trailer thing so a vehicle I can drive 150km a day and load up with lumber that has 4 wheel drive is appealing. But I am not quite ready for one looking like Tesla's.
But the look has a lot to do with the durability. It’s made from the same alloy as the StarHopper. No paint, no rust, no chassis....

The reason it’s angled is the body is the frame, and the alloy cannot be bent/rolled easily. So it has minimal design to reduce cost.
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2019, 01:12 PM   #132
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
The fact that people take a road trip once a year doesn't mean electric cars won't work. Traditional gas cars and the infrastructure for gas cars isn't going to disappear overnight, so people can always drive those. If there are hours waits for charging in some places, people will open up more charging stations. Simple supply and demand. Will we need to run more electricity? Maybe. Or maybe people will store energy in batteries they've charged overnight during non-peak hours and allow people to charge their batteries off those during peak hours. Whatever happens, these will be easy problems to sort out.

At who's cost? Electricity is expensive to run, cabling, chargers, space. So right now Gas gets sold at a price that barely makes a profit with the infrastructure in place. So, what the price you'd pay to have someone "just open up another place" to charge your car, when he/she outlays tens if not hundreds of thousands for land and infrastructure for a charging lot....Its cute the current majority of the chargers are free, thats the benefit to being a miniscule percentile of the moving population. That's also unsustainable, so sure the gas stations in the residential areas will likely be less busy/close, but someones gotta pay for those off the highway mass charger spots.
Old 11-24-2019, 03:23 PM   #133
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

... we have electrical infrastructure in place for every town in Canada. It’s no different than building something, you run electric to it.
Old 11-24-2019, 03:45 PM   #134
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

A Tesla battery is 85 kWh. So the cost to charge at home would be about $6.

There seems to be a lot of room between $6 of cost and say someone willing to pay $25- $40 for a charge on the highway for another 400 km.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2019, 07:46 PM   #135
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

I find the Rivian much more intriguing than the Cybertruck. It actually has some really interesting and new packaging features that really take advantage of the electric platform.

The Cybertruck just comes across as trying really hard for shock value.

Last edited by Table 5; 11-24-2019 at 09:13 PM.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2019, 09:59 PM   #136
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
... we have electrical infrastructure in place for every town in Canada. It’s no different than building something, you run electric to it.

No ####. But land, copper, stations, and a tie in to the grid to the tune of MW power doesn't come free . You think that's a good investment opportunity, and if so at what fee.....20-30 spots at $2-5/hr? I guess we can count on you guys to step up and build these seemingly cost neutral endeavors. EV supporters in here talking about home charging like its going to wipe out or negate roadside charging, when you have THOUSANDS of cars going down the highway, more than a few need to stop for fuel....tying up 20-30 spots for 30min-1hr is just inefficient. You want more than that, well I think the math was done already to what the load would be like, good luck finding the supply
Old 11-24-2019, 10:56 PM   #137
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
No ####. But land, copper, stations, and a tie in to the grid to the tune of MW power doesn't come free . You think that's a good investment opportunity, and if so at what fee.....20-30 spots at $2-5/hr? I guess we can count on you guys to step up and build these seemingly cost neutral endeavors. EV supporters in here talking about home charging like its going to wipe out or negate roadside charging, when you have THOUSANDS of cars going down the highway, more than a few need to stop for fuel....tying up 20-30 spots for 30min-1hr is just inefficient. You want more than that, well I think the math was done already to what the load would be like, good luck finding the supply
Wow talk about snarky.

Have you done the math on what it takes to build and maintain oil and gas infrastructure?
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2019, 07:01 AM   #138
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
It just seems like your trying very hard to find reasons it won’t work. And that’s just not how humans do things. We make things work.

“You’re telling me that we are going to have electric pumps with huge underground tanks full of fuel, located everywhere, so that thousands of cars can use them to fill up? How do we get the fuel there!?!? What happens when it runs out? A huge tanker truck is going to deliver more fuel!? Ridiculous!” Made it happen.

Last edited by Scroopy Noopers; 11-25-2019 at 07:03 AM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2019, 07:07 AM   #139
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
EV supporters in here talking about home charging like its going to wipe out or negate roadside charging, when you have THOUSANDS of cars going down the highway
And if you want to talk math can you go ahead and complete this simple math question for me? How many people need their cars to take them farther than 500km every day? Of course home charging is a different result than gas pumps. People don’t pump gas at home. It’s simple.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2019, 09:47 AM   #140
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
I find the Rivian much more intriguing than the Cybertruck. It actually has some really interesting and new packaging features that really take advantage of the electric platform.

The Cybertruck just comes across as trying really hard for shock value.
The styling is wild, no doubt. The practical truck aspects of this vehicle have been completely ignored, though.

I use a truck daily for work, I tow a holiday trailer in the summer and I do a lot of do-it-yourself landscaping and home reno projects. Basically everything you could need a truck for, I do. I also hate trucks (drive like crap, look boring and ugly, guzzlers, big), but as a utility vehicle for certain tasks, they're the only thing you can use. With that in mind, here's what this truck has that others do not:

1. A retractable cover over the box. No other truck does this from factory. There have been a few attempts, like the GMC Avalanche, but that was a hard plastic tri-fold cover that didn't fully get itself out of the way. That was also a butt-ugly truck that looked like an Aztek.

The retractable cover is huge for people that use their truck as a truck. What are the chances that everything you haul in a truck can be exposed to the elements and theft? Almost nil, yet there is no accounting for this in any truck you can currently purchase from factory. You have to get a tonneau, which sucks because they can also never get fully our of their own way, or a topper, which limits your options for loading the vehicle and for the height of your load. Tesla has solved this in an awesome way with their vault bed. If you don't use a truck, you may not know how huge this is, but it instantly made this truck bed better than every other truck.

2. Ramp tailgate. If you own a truck, you know that lifting really heavy things into the truck can be really fataing hard. Being able to roll/dolly, walk things into this is amazing. I could also see using this to lean into a loading dock. This, too, is huge. I deliver and pick up from loading docks all the time and it can be sketchy (you have to back up to the dock with just enough space to drop your gate, then there is going to be a gap that you have to navigate while crouching under your topper then stepping up onto the dock. It's a total PITA that has now been solved.

And forget work applications with the ramp. What about fun stuff? I put bikes in and out of my truck 20 times a year. It can be awkward and heavy. Can't imagine just rolling the bikes up the ramp. That is insanely awesome and way better than any other tailgate innovation (yes, there has been a tailgate innovation war going on in the industry recently).

3. Electricity for tools. After I got my new F-150 in 2016 I was excited to use the household plug-in outlet. At my first job, I plugged in my sawzall and it tripped the breaker. Turns out those outlets are good for charging a Gameboy and that's about it. It doesn't have enough power to run tools. That's ridiculous. The Cybertruck being a power source for tools is ginormous for people that use their truck for truck stuff.

4. Built in air compressor would be great for guys that run power tools. I don't, but I'm sure a lot of people do. Even little things like inflating your toys at the lake would be pretty fun.

5. The body being super strong is great. I usually get through my leases without damaging the body on my trucks, but I see a lot of beat up trucks out there, so having a more durable body is obviously not a bad thing.

6. Performance. Trucks usually suck. I know some guys opt to drive a truck, but they blow me away. I don't know why - with all the options for vehicles out there - you would drive a truck unless you had to. I have three personal vehicles (shared with my wife) and then my work truck that I lease. It's not even a base trim truck. It's pretty nice with a bunch of options, but it's still the worst driving vehicle in my fleet. The two cars drive the best, and the minivan not far behind. The truck is huge, handles like garbage and sucks back fuel. The Cybertruck is fast AF. Without having a body-on-frame design, it has the potential to handle a lot better, too. For those of us who actually like driving nice-to-drive vehicles, but need the utility of a truck, this is a welcome direction for trucks to be heading.

7. Looks. Obviously I can see what people don't like. It does look unfinished, but I think a paint job would have gone a long way toward remedying that. Also, with the DeLorean looks in addition to the stainless steel colouring, Tesla didn't do themselves any favours by not painting this. Instead of being an asset, the stainless steel has distracted everyone from the more important features of this truck that would actually appeal to people who know where the drawbacks of the current trucks exist and how they have been addressed in this design.

From a truck practicality perspective, this box design is better than anything else out there. The looks of the box (angling back from the roof) don't bother me because I can see how functional it would be with the vault. Trucks are already boring and ugly to me, but we're all just used to them so don't think much about it. The aerodynamics of this - steep in front and steep at the back with the covered box seem like a great way to make a truck.

Other than that, it is pretty crazy looks wise, but I hope it inspires Ford/GMC/Dodge to start pushing the envelope a little so I can actually look forward to my next lease instead of it being a hassle and then driving away with the same old thing yet again. If the Internet backlash has anything to say about it, it'll probably make the big three just dig in even harder on all their boring old lame conservative styling, though.

I am not hearing any backlash against all the great truck innovations they're going for here, though. That's good because if you actually use a truck you'd know just how awesome each and every one of these improvements is to a truck if you can set aside styling for a minute. I hope other truck manufacturers are taking notes - these vehicles can be improved. The fact that the box of my 2016 F-150 is functionally indistinguishable from my Grandpa's 1972 F-150 is ridiculous.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post: