Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-14-2019, 07:49 AM   #1401
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

LOL, I actually rode today. Zero ice, it was a great day!
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2019, 09:04 AM   #1402
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 10:43 AM   #1403
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ I’d be really impressed if he had several Strava PB’s while riding like that.

Went for a spin this morning hoping to hit up some single track - no go as every piece of dirt I saw in the south was messy mud that would not have been fun to slog thru
Old 11-19-2019, 08:22 AM   #1404
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ride in was not bad at all, the ride home might be a bit of a slog though...
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2019, 12:38 PM   #1405
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

as of right now i am planning on going for a spin when i get home after work
Old 11-19-2019, 02:34 PM   #1406
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

The well used roads still appear to be mainly wet, side roads are going to be a sloppy/snirty mess. Wildcard is if any of the pathways have had a pass with the brush or blade yet.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 03:00 PM   #1407
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
The well used roads still appear to be mainly wet, side roads are going to be a sloppy/snirty mess. Wildcard is if any of the pathways have had a pass with the brush or blade yet.
They did this morning (later in the morning) but we've had so much snowfall since then, I don't know if crews have been going over the paths multiple times or not.

I crossed 4000km on the ride in. I'm feeling anxious about my ride home.
Old 11-20-2019, 07:46 AM   #1408
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well...conditions are variable! Usually the city is pretty good about plowing Confed Park and Queens Park Cemtary at least once in 24 hours, unless it's a weekend. Not today! Crunchy, uneven bootsteps to ride in, and no real indication where the edge of the path is, so I was off a few times. Had to get off and push up the big hill. Most of the sidestreets are either nicely packed, or just beyond that and turning to ice which was a little sketch.

Had an awesome little session on the ride home yesterday though. Dove into Confed off piste, shredded some gnar and smiled bigly. Can hopefully repeat today!
Old 11-20-2019, 08:42 AM   #1409
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Talk on twitter sounds like there are a bunch of new contractors the city is using this year, and the results are definitely showing that. No word on what happened to the amazing contractor team that would clear the north side of the Bow river, the crew doing it now is doing a terrible job. It wasn't even touched for yesterdays afternoon commute. They finally got to it around 6pm. Riding it this morning it's ok, but lots of half cleared pathway sections and clumps of snow around.

Nose creek was partly cleared last night up to Spark, but north of that nothing. Made that ride in a pretty good slog this morning. Hope a blade gets to it before the afternoon.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:16 AM   #1410
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

I did an obscene number of km over the past few weeks. After the ride home yesterday being such a mess my legs are just done and I need a rest. Drove today.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:49 AM   #1411
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fallout from budget cuts affecting pathway clearing? Or just new contractors not being as good as the previous ones.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 09:59 AM   #1412
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Fallout from budget cuts affecting pathway clearing? Or just new contractors not being as good as the previous ones.
Apparently not budget related, and indeed new contractors. A guy from 311 called me this morning and I asked what happened to the old crew that did the north side of the Bow and he said they decided not to apply for it this year.
Old 11-20-2019, 04:57 PM   #1413
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Holy pattootie do they ever need to give these new contractors a talking to. That was the worst "clearing" of pathways I have ever seen. Basically scraped the snow off and left all the ice. 3/4 of the way up a hill they just left a big windrow covering 3/4 of the path, for no reason I could figure out. And everything is ice underneath because they didn't bother to do it when it was slushy and easy to clear.

On the plus side, the horrific clearing led me off piste again today, on a longer steeper run. Had pow flyin up, got sideways a few times, and a couple guys walking the path cheering me on. Got a "mad respect" as I rode past them.

Worth it!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2019, 08:54 PM   #1414
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Last night I made the mistake of trying to ride from new brighton to Cranston. Gave up in lake McKenzie as nothing had been lowed all day.

Tried again today, and while I was successful, I noted that a large chunk of the path in lake McKenzie was not really plowed, bow river pathway was fine, but I then learned that the path up to Cranston is not maintained in the winter - so I had to push. And then riding home down this hill was not overly fun dealing with the deep snow. thankfully, my fat bike has a dropper psot, so i was able to drop and then use my feet as "outriggers" to try and keep my balance and line.

Generally disappointed in the lack of snow clearing; however, i will concede that we are talking about a deeper portion of the city - so maybe i need to lower my expectations a little bit.

Last edited by Northendzone; 11-21-2019 at 07:09 AM.
Northendzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 09:05 PM   #1415
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Holy pattootie do they ever need to give these new contractors a talking to. That was the worst "clearing" of pathways I have ever seen. Basically scraped the snow off and left all the ice. 3/4 of the way up a hill they just left a big windrow covering 3/4 of the path, for no reason I could figure out. And everything is ice underneath because they didn't bother to do it when it was slushy and easy to clear.

On the plus side, the horrific clearing led me off piste again today, on a longer steeper run. Had pow flyin up, got sideways a few times, and a couple guys walking the path cheering me on. Got a "mad respect" as I rode past them.

Worth it!

So gotta complain too about the MUP between Edworthy and downtown today.... I realize that the recent snow was a "surprise" but a worse surprise was the crap job that was done attempting to clear it. There were huge chunks (ie basketball size), there were windrows in the middle of one lane, huge sections of glaze ice/hardpack, lots of stutter bumps, moguls, some air time, tracks from the machine doing 360°'s (no joke), and generally they made life hard for a few days. So ride your studded tires, at low pressure. It was the most sketchy for this season, and close to the worst from last year.

Oh and then this eve at ~6pm as I was headed west of Edworthy they had the brush-machine out going super slow to ensure a nice even highly polished finish for the morning. sigh...

At least we have a few warm days ahead but Thursday morning is not gonna be fun.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 07:56 AM   #1416
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

The snow on Tuesday was definitely forecast, so I'm not willing to cut these new contractors any slack on that count. Even this morning there are missing links in the snow clearing, like the pathways from the East Village bridge to the Bow north path. It's just completely sloppy work all around. I guess with all the feedback from the city saying they are talking to the contractor the real test will be the next snowfall event. Let's see if they've learned anything.
Old 11-21-2019, 07:59 AM   #1417
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, they were on the Peace Bridge this morning polishing up all the ice patches with the brush but not removing any of it. Their big mistake was not being out there during the snow fall.
Old 11-21-2019, 12:33 PM   #1418
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kudos to Kermitology for finding this gem on twitter:

https://twitter.com/swagamemnon22/st...08921216262144
Old 11-21-2019, 09:33 PM   #1419
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Ya, they were on the Peace Bridge this morning polishing up all the ice patches with the brush but not removing any of it. Their big mistake was not being out there during the snow fall.

today WAS actually better than Wednesdays commute!! still sucked. Both going into downtown this morning and coming home this eve. Plus they emptied a full truck load of gravel I’m sure spread out between downtown and Edworthy.
By FAR the worst path areas are from around Prince’s Island (south side) until past Peace bridge. Highest number of crap areas, squirrelly, rutted and nasty. and that’s with two studded tires. AFTER I dropped their pressure from ~60psi down to about 35-40psig.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 07:32 AM   #1420
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some incredibly greasy patches of ice hiding under that 2 cm of snow...looks like a bit more in the forecast but not a huge amount.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post: