Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should Don Cherry have been fired?
Yes 287 48.81%
No 301 51.19%
Voters: 588. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-18-2019, 02:16 PM   #1361
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ That comment from Ron stuck with me too - and part of me wonders how much more "2019 crap" Cherry was going to take.

Don has been doing this a while, and Don was definitely going to step over the line again and again. Sportsnet had made it very clear to everyone watching, nevermind everyone involved that they wanted to move on from Coach's Corner. What he said definitely needed to be clarified, and the original message definitely needed to be apologized for. He's not used to that - and I am pretty damn happy we live in a world now where that's the expectation.

As funny as it was, Don has always been an "old school hockey" influence and he held that stance staunchly. I don't know where he stands on certain things now, but Europeans, visors and multiple other pieces of equipment and styles of play drew his ire over the decades. Terry Ryan's story above is a great one, and it helps you understand how crappy this parting of ways is for a lot of people. But the reality is, some of the division he's encouraging kids to work on might very well have started from his own mouth. He stuck by opinions despite every effort to educate him, and that was part of the entertainment - but it by no means surprises me that it eventually touched on things off the ice that isn't so funny anymore.

There has definitely been an extreme period where anything you said cost you your job but in this exact context... I think it was more 'final straw' than anything else. It would have been best if this just ended when Sportsnet originally tried. Give a huge send-off and happy memories.

Edit: And the poll is a perfect 50/50 (224/224) rn which is amazing.

I think this debate is a big part of what reminds me of how much I love this frikken' country. In contrast to what's going on with our southern friends, nearly 500 Flames fans are at a dead split on whether or not a hockey icon's comments on immigrants respecting our vets was racist or not. Not... "is this level of racism ok?"

Last edited by Split98; 11-18-2019 at 02:22 PM.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 04:13 PM   #1362
flamesfan1297
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't know how to post a Twitter link, but Don Cherry just posted on his Twitter a Toronto Sun article. He will have a podcast being released every Monday, the podcast will be with him, and his son Tim, it will be titled Grapevine

Halloween candy is horrifying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
"Putting nets on puck."

- Ferland 2016
flamesfan1297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 04:14 PM   #1363
flamesfan1297
First Line Centre

Exp:

https://twitter.com/CoachsCornerDC/s...743391749?s=19

Halloween candy is horrifying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
"Putting nets on puck."

- Ferland 2016
flamesfan1297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 04:18 PM   #1364
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan1297 View Post
I don't know how to post a Twitter link, but Don Cherry just posted on his Twitter a Toronto Sun article. He will have a podcast being released every Monday, the podcast will be with him, and his son Tim, it will be titled Grapevine
Would you look at that everybody, free speech in action!
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2019, 05:37 PM   #1365
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Good for Don, I have not tuned in to coach’s corner in awhile but will be looking for this one.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 09:35 PM   #1366
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know how to post a Twitter link
Quote:
Here ya go...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1196563539743391749
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scorch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2019, 06:05 PM   #1367
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

CBC headline: Don Cherry says sportsnet made it impossible for him to clarify his comments.

First quote by cherry in the article:
Quote:
"Evidently I said something that upset Sportsnet and they canned me," Cherry said during Tuesday's 30-minute launch of the Don Cherry Grapevine podcast with his son Tim. "I offered to explain [what I meant by my words] … not an apology but I was going to smooth it over. And they made conditions that made it impossible to do it. I just couldn't do it …"
Dude. Stop. Please stop. Do your thing on your podcast and talk hockey. As a lifetime fan of yours, please stop talking about this. So tone deaf.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2019, 06:12 PM   #1368
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
CBC headline: Don Cherry says sportsnet made it impossible for him to clarify his comments.

First quote by cherry in the article:

Dude. Stop. Please stop. Do your thing on your podcast and talk hockey. As a lifetime fan of yours, please stop talking about this. So tone deaf.
Some people....right or wrong....don't believe in apologizing. Myself, I don't know how to get through life without doing it...i end up having to say sorry all the time.

Old guy from long ago says he wants to explain and smooth things over vs overt "sorry". Still stuck in his old way. But him explaining/groveling/smoothing or whatever is equivalent to or better than many modern day empty "sorry's".
dustygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 06:23 PM   #1369
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
Some people....right or wrong....don't believe in apologizing. Myself, I don't know how to get through life without doing it...i end up having to say sorry all the time.

Old guy from long ago says he wants to explain and smooth things over vs overt "sorry". Still stuck in his old way. But him explaining/groveling/smoothing or whatever is equivalent to or better than many modern day empty "sorry's".
Not saying an empty sorry would apply either. Hell at the least he could have apologized for mumbling through the whole thing making it barely understandable. He had at least one thing to apologize for regardless of how he meant it. I could have written him a speech in 5 minutes that would have kept him his job and clarified his comments (if he truly didn’t mean how everyone took it).
Old 11-19-2019, 08:57 PM   #1370
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I know this is off topic slightly but does anyone know where I can find the copies of the Don Cherry movies produced by CBC?

"Keep your head up , Kid: The Don Cherry Story" & "The Wrath of Grapes"?

Both were very very good movies and did a great job of highlighting his hockey life and career at CBC. I also loved the TV movie "Mr. Hockey" by CBC as well.

I would love to buy the DVD's more as a historical keepsake as it doesn't appear to be anywhere online for me to watch again.

Thanks
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to curves2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2019, 12:46 AM   #1371
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Not saying an empty sorry would apply either. Hell at the least he could have apologized for mumbling through the whole thing making it barely understandable. He had at least one thing to apologize for regardless of how he meant it. I could have written him a speech in 5 minutes that would have kept him his job and clarified his comments (if he truly didn’t mean how everyone took it).
Well, if I know the internet, there are lots of anonymous people behind their keyboards that can do better than people without that luxury
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 12:48 AM   #1372
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
I know this is off topic slightly but does anyone know where I can find the copies of the Don Cherry movies produced by CBC?

"Keep your head up , Kid: The Don Cherry Story" & "The Wrath of Grapes"?

Both were very very good movies and did a great job of highlighting his hockey life and career at CBC. I also loved the TV movie "Mr. Hockey" by CBC as well.

I would love to buy the DVD's more as a historical keepsake as it doesn't appear to be anywhere online for me to watch again.

Thanks

No, sorry, but I did find a VHS copy of Godzilla
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 11:49 AM   #1373
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Well, if I know the internet, there are lots of anonymous people behind their keyboards that can do better than people without that luxury
Sorry, what?
Old 11-20-2019, 12:53 PM   #1374
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

The most entertaining thing about Cherry was his suits. His speaking is just emotional, incoherent rambling most of the time. Now he's going to be putting out media where you can't see his suits and all you get is incoherent rambling? I can't imagine that being a great success.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2019, 02:11 PM   #1375
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He didn't even have to do that - just talk about hockey. Instead he chose to bring it up and deliberately brush it off.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 02:36 PM   #1376
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
The most entertaining thing about Cherry was his suits. His speaking is just emotional, incoherent rambling most of the time. Now he's going to be putting out media where you can't see his suits and all you get is incoherent rambling? I can't imagine that being a great success.
Na, the mispronunciations were sometimes hilarious:

Don: “Watch this amazing play by Oliver Awesome-Tossem.....”
Ron: “Don, it’s Ekman-Larson..”
Don: “.. close enough...”
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 05:54 AM   #1377
Jaybo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Why are a few posters feeling so hot to trot about the poll numbers, as some sort of “vindication” for their views? I posted this on the 11th, when there was already hundreds of posts on the subject, and it remains true now:
Can I not see how people voted because the poll's still open or am I looking for something to click that's not there? Because I honestly can't remember how I voted as I could see both sides of the argument.

With that said, I've "Thanked" comments and made comments in this thread that would probably indicate I voted "Yes" to Cherry's firing but honestly, I wish there was a "It shouldn't have come to this - he should've been let go about 15 years ago" option in the poll.

Last edited by Jaybo; 11-21-2019 at 06:08 AM.
Jaybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 01:09 PM   #1378
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wickenheiser, has a decent take.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/video/ha...003406877.html
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2019, 05:22 PM   #1379
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
Can I not see how people voted because the poll's still open or am I looking for something to click that's not there? Because I honestly can't remember how I voted as I could see both sides of the argument.
You should be able to see the results as a bar and a number.

If you can't remember how you voted, your selection will be italicized in the list of choices. So as you mentioned that you voted yes, for you yes would be italicized while the no is standard font.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 12:24 AM   #1380
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

The podcast with his son is really good. Way better than 7 minutes on coaches corner. Should have done this years agom

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote