Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2019, 05:01 AM   #1061
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

He says he doesn't need much for investment and will get players like Eriksen to sign new contracts. I'm less sure he can motivate a guy like that, but obviously we're about to find out!

At this point I just want the new manager bounce on the weekend.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 09:30 AM   #1062
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well I guess Spurs really are rich as #### now because they're paying Mourinho £15 million a year until 2022-23. I mean good for Mourinho at least, despite his last few years as a manager being pretty mediocre he's still making more than Klopp.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:37 AM   #1063
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

they've also paid Poch £12m to get him out.

who has kidnapped Daniel Levy?
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 09:46 AM   #1064
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jorge Mendes strikes again.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 10:16 AM   #1065
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
they've also paid Poch £12m to get him out.

who has kidnapped Daniel Levy?
All of a sudden hes cool spending money left, right and center....but on all the wrong things in all the wrong places.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 10:25 AM   #1066
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
All of a sudden hes cool spending money left, right and center....but on all the wrong things in all the wrong places.
Isn't that what usually happens when poor people get into money?
Old 11-20-2019, 10:32 AM   #1067
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Well I thought they made some rather astute purchases this summer. I think that both GLC and Ndombele are good young players and having Sessegnon and Clarke for the future look decent as well.

They had to do something with Poch at this point. The truth is spending 12m to try to stop the bleeding and have any thought of playing in Europe next year is a good financial decision.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:01 AM   #1068
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Well I thought they made some rather astute purchases this summer. I think that both GLC and Ndombele are good young players and having Sessegnon and Clarke for the future look decent as well.
And if there's one thing Mourinho is known for, it's having the patience to develop younger players.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2019, 11:04 AM   #1069
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
And if there's one thing Mourinho is known for, it's having the patience to develop younger players.
Yeah, this could be a disaster for sure. But at the same time, would fans be happy if they went with a young manager this time around such as Howe? The club is kind of in a "win now" scenario. We've a number of players who are in their prime or close enough, and people want to see results. I think that this time appointing Mourinho was a no-brainer.

Next time around, when this inevitably ends in tears, they're likely to have more leeway and look at a young, less proven manager again.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:37 AM   #1070
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

One thing I will say though is that if I'm Man U I am getting rid of Ole tomorrow and calling Poch right away.

Give him the winter window to start adding some pieces before the summer window next year.

Honestly I feel like he's the type of guy that can bring some swagger and more attacking play back to Old Trafford. Honestly I feel like he's made for that manager position.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2019, 11:40 AM   #1071
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

The two nfl games so far alone have covered pochs payoff and Mourinhos pay for this season

Again, post stadium move, they have said spending will rise

So far since moving in theyve had a 120m net transfer spend, given new contracts to I believe 5 players with large raises, and been willing to take a hit in a manager payout and pay someone who has won everywhere a salary hes earned
d_phaneuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 11:46 AM   #1072
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
One thing I will say though is that if I'm Man U I am getting rid of Ole tomorrow and calling Poch right away.

Give him the winter window to start adding some pieces before the summer window next year.

Honestly I feel like he's the type of guy that can bring some swagger and more attacking play back to Old Trafford. Honestly I feel like he's made for that manager position.
Would be a coup for them

Think psg or madrid more likely, man u may have to act fast like you say, because if he had a choice between those two and man u I believe he would choose one of them
Old 11-20-2019, 11:59 AM   #1073
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

the timing sucks for United. There's no way they'll sack Ole right now just because Poch is available, it goes against everything they've preached for months (stability, patience, growth, rebuild) and the moral high ground both the club and the fans like to point to. Now if Ole's results deteriorate, things obviously change - but they've actually improved during past weeks, apart from the Bournemouth result. Also, Ole (for all the stick he gets) has actually had a much better 2019 than Poch. Hard to justify canning a club legend in this situation.

I think Poch will take a bit of a break and wait for Zidanes inevitable demise.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2019, 12:04 PM   #1074
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Forgot about this yesterday but I wonder how much the amazon cameras were around the last few days

That documentary just got a lot more interesting
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2019, 12:46 PM   #1075
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Something not getting a ton of mention but it looks like Luis Campos will end up coming over from lille as a director of football

Mourinho and him are close and his record the last decade is incredible

Saw an interview spurs fans found from last month where he said only ever leave lille if it was to work with mou

Hes credited with getting mbappe, lemar, b. Silva, pepe, james, martial, mandy, bakoyako, fabinho amongst others, at a cost of 60m thats been sold for 10x that
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2019, 01:17 PM   #1076
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Let Poch enjoy the time off, and then pursue him over the spring.

That said, why crap on OGS? He's had the most effective player purchasing that United has seen in well over 10 years. 3 for 3.

Compare to Moyes, LVG, Mourinho, and even SAF's last few. Just garbage.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2019, 03:03 PM   #1077
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
Forgot about this yesterday but I wonder how much the amazon cameras were around the last few days

That documentary just got a lot more interesting
I was already definitely watching this, but it should be super interesting to look at this spell, and the rest of the season could be interesting as well. I guess it will be another year or two until Levy V. Mourinho really kicks off.
Old 11-20-2019, 03:07 PM   #1078
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
the timing sucks for United. There's no way they'll sack Ole right now just because Poch is available, it goes against everything they've preached for months (stability, patience, growth, rebuild) and the moral high ground both the club and the fans like to point to. Now if Ole's results deteriorate, things obviously change - but they've actually improved during past weeks, apart from the Bournemouth result. Also, Ole (for all the stick he gets) has actually had a much better 2019 than Poch. Hard to justify canning a club legend in this situation.

I think Poch will take a bit of a break and wait for Zidanes inevitable demise.
I agree that they won't do it, but with OGS they have a problem. It's pretty obvious he's not the answer at this point. Sure, he's had a better year than Poch but that's not exactly a high bar at this stage. Difference is Poch has a track record that makes this year a surprise and I don't think you can say that about Ole.

So you're right that the timing sucks, and there's no way they sack Ole and bring in Poch. It's just that it seems likely that OGS isn't going to last long-term there and a great fit is on the market now.
Old 11-20-2019, 03:19 PM   #1079
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

not saying that Ole is the answer long-term, but he doesn't have to be IMO. Right now he's actually a good fit for where United is because he's willing to oversee a transitional period without rocking the boat too much. He'll play and develop young players, weed out the squad and say the right things in public, using his standing as a club legend to sell it to the fans. United need to rebuild after a bad spell of managers (good luck with Ole's predecessor btw, you'll need it ) and absolutely terrible squad management, they need to nail their signings and bring academy talent into the squad. Ole is doing these things and it's important not to stray from this path, with or without him. Would Poch agree to this at this particular time?
Old 11-20-2019, 03:26 PM   #1080
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
not saying that Ole is the answer long-term, but he doesn't have to be IMO. Right now he's actually a good fit for where United is because he's willing to oversee a transitional period without rocking the boat too much. He'll play and develop young players, weed out the squad and say the right things in public, using his standing as a club legend to sell it to the fans. United need to rebuild after a bad spell of managers (good luck with Ole's predecessor btw, you'll need it ) and absolutely terrible squad management, they need to nail their signings and bring academy talent into the squad. Ole is doing these things and it's important not to stray from this path, with or without him. Would Poch agree to this at this particular time?
I know we'll need that luck as soon as the honeymoon ends. Which could be quick if the results don't follow. A lot of Spurs fans aren't super pleased to have Mourinho, and are basically hoping for the best but expecting the worst. At United he was a failure who won a couple trophies and brought that squad to second, which at this point would be a dream scenario. So I guess we'll see what happens.