Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2019, 04:31 PM   #261
Dragomir
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psytic View Post
Somebody said Reinhart & Mittelstadt and a pick for Johnny on Hf. I'd do it.

That’s a fantastic deal for the Flames, I would do it. I don’t see why the Sabres would give up that much though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dragomir is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dragomir For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2019, 04:31 PM   #262
Elkyiv
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Can Monahan even survive without Johnny?

He had a great rookie season without Johnny centering the 3rd line
Elkyiv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elkyiv For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2019, 04:34 PM   #263
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkyiv View Post
He had a great rookie season without Johnny centering the 3rd line
Thats what I thought but he has been conditioned for a number of years for no work tap ins so hopefully he still has that magic.
Psytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 04:36 PM   #264
HighLifeMan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
65pt 200 ft Center, blue chip prospect and a 1st. One guy wanted to throw in Risto to. Not sure how the salary shakes out.
Reinhart has been, and continues to be a winger at the NHL level.
HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 04:43 PM   #265
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
Reinhart has been, and continues to be a winger at the NHL level.
Tkachuck is a LW we have played at RW. Lindholm can play center or RW as well. Sam can be played much like Lindholm. Right now they are stacking him with Eichel. We can stack him with Monahan or move Lindholm to centre and have Sam wing or flip Lindholm to RW and have Sam centre. So many options.
Old 11-19-2019, 04:46 PM   #266
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Somebody said Reinhart & Mittelstadt and a pick for Johnny on Hf. I'd do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Not enough unless "a pick" is the Sabres' next first-rounder without lottery protection.

Mittelstadt has barely shown anything at the NHL level and Reinhart isn't enough of a play-driver to justify trading Gaudreau.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragomir View Post
That’s a fantastic deal for the Flames, I would do it. I don’t see why the Sabres would give up that much though.

lol

Trade proposals. A fruitless endeavor.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 04:46 PM   #267
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
This is the guy the organization is willing to go to the wall for?

Really?
I was definitely not on board with the hiring of Peters, but face facts man. He delivered a 50 win season last year. That's going to buy him time. And it should.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 04:54 PM   #268
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
I was definitely not on board with the hiring of Peters, but face facts man. He delivered a 50 win season last year. That's going to buy him time. And it should.
Sure, and Bob Hartley was coach of the year before being fired and never coaching in the NHL again.

For me, it's about dancing with the one's that brung ya. If you're of the belief that coaches get too much credit and too much blame, then basically they are a relatively unimportant ingredient and are relatively interchangeable.

If that's the case, why not find one that the players want to play for?

I don't know what's going on in the lockerroom but I"ve talked to guys that played for him and I have a pretty good sense of how things have probably gone.

If the core group or leadership group whatever you want to call it has tuned him out or hates the guy and don't want to work for him, find another interchangeable guy and see what happens.

Twice in the last 10 years we've seen an underperforming group transform into world beaters after replacing their coach midseason. I don't think the Flames are the St. Louis blues, but surely it's not outside the realm of possibility.

I feel like step one is first do no harm. Trading Gaudreau could have years worth of harm attached to it if done incorrectly.

If everyone in that lockerroom understands gaudreau is the problem, sure, trade his ass out of town. I'm just not convinced, and don't think Peters is such a good coach that he can't be replaced.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2019, 04:59 PM   #269
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Sure, and Bob Hartley was coach of the year before being fired and never coaching in the NHL again.
You aren't this dense, so stop acting like it. Hartley was fired a full season after his Jack Adams win. Not 20 games after.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2019, 05:18 PM   #270
Teroy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The play dieing on Gaudreau's stick has nothing to do with the coach. Gaudreau has a history of whining and I wouldn't be surprised if this carries over to the dressing room. I wouldn't be surprised if his nose is out of join with the latest salaries. That said, some of you might be satisfied with a one dimensional player, but I'm not. I'd gladly trade him for a player that works his butt off all the time. As far as I'm concerned, he's as much a detriment to the team as he is a benefit.
Teroy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Teroy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2019, 05:28 PM   #271
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Ultimately depends on how the Sabres project Middlestadt. Thus far - his NHL production is concerning, because he's either a top line offensive player, or he's not in the NHL.
Always was a boom/bust player - but so far not looking like its boom.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 05:41 PM   #272
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Ultimately depends on how the Sabres project Middlestadt. Thus far - his NHL production is concerning, because he's either a top line offensive player, or he's not in the NHL.
Always was a boom/bust player - but so far not looking like its boom.

I'm no scout, but I've never been impressed by Mittelstadt, and at this point, he's not really blue-chip. So the Sabres would have to give up more.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 05:44 PM   #273
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Is that you Jay Feaster? You want to trade an elite winger on a great contract for a 50 point winger and a bag of magic beans? This place has gone insane.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2019, 06:26 PM   #274
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Is that you Jay Feaster? You want to trade an elite winger on a great contract for a 50 point winger and a bag of magic beans? This place has gone insane.
Its usually the going rate isn't it? 1st, roster player and prospect or in this case three young roster players and you get a younger offensive top pairing D as well to replace Brodie. Star trades usually include futures/ magic beans unless you can find a change of scenery deal. Its not like these are old players either they are still developing. Didn't see that good of offers on HF outside of this one, doesn't seem like Johnny is that hot a ticket to other fan bases.

I have no issues keeping him but I wouldn't mind entertaining something similar as Johnny gets closer to a new contract and if we havent had any success as we probably cant afford him in two years anyway. This way we reset the window a few years build around Chucky, Reinhart, Lindholm and Monahan get some prospects, draft the 1sts and go from there as a mini re-tool. I dont see this team being a legit threat in the next two years but who knows.
The Following User Says Thank You to Psytic For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2019, 09:32 PM   #275
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

What the hell is wrong with Johnny?
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 09:36 PM   #276
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd gladly trade Gaudreau when the time is right. The time is not now, selling low on JG would be idiotic.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2019, 09:44 PM   #277
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
What the hell is wrong with Johnny?
Tonight, Zadorov owned him. Let that sink in.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 09:51 PM   #278
BrennyBaller
Backup Goalie

Exp:

He seems to have lost a step. He’s never been lights out fast, but he could beat defenders wide and set up in the corner or button hook. It could be that the book is out on him if you step up and force him to to boards he’s not near as useful.
BrennyBaller is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BrennyBaller For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2019, 09:55 PM   #279
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone know if he has fixed or improved his diet? Or is he still 'Johnny Ham & Cheese'
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 10:02 PM   #280
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I worry a lot about trading a guy like Gaudreau who could very well just not be happy under Peters. I worry about A) getting a non-stellar return and then B) the team realizing that Peters is in fact not a very good coach and Peters is out not long after and the end result is we are down a very talented winger and no further ahead in the standings.

Despite how bad Gaudreau has been Backlund still has less goals and way less points and continues to demonstrate clearly he is not a top 6 NHL talent. The goal should be a top 6 centre. Trading Gaudreau would be a massive step backwards for this team that is absolutely starved for offense.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flames_fan_down_under For This Useful Post: