Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2019, 08:23 AM   #1
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default 2019 Christmas season

thought it would be good to have a thread for all things Christmas/holiday related for the season.

positive or bitching.

my young daughter already knows what she wants for Christmas.

all she wants is a new toboggan or sled and this lego set. pretty reasonable ask.

GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2019, 09:07 AM   #2
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

No gift exchanges this year, and its unlikely that we're going to have any kind of family get together this year.

I'll buy my folks a early christmas dinner, and then probably slip out to Vegas for a couple of days.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 09:12 AM   #3
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

I can't believe people already have trees and decorations up. No dinner and no presents for me. I'll get my nephew something and then just sleep in and goto the gym. Maybe go see a movie or something.
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 09:12 AM   #4
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

My oldest (4) is getting a big starter box of base LEGO and a ride-on Llama thing

My middle (2) is getting a set of die cast carsand a ride-on Llama thing

Those two are sharing some big set of slime stuff.

My youngest (3 months) is getting a play mat (moreso we just needed it anyway so it's his "Christmas gift")

Pretty simple. Then we do a little gift exchange with my side of the family and that's it.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 09:42 AM   #5
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

We finally decided not to exchange gifts among the adults anymore. It's unnecessary spending and none of us need anything that we can't get for ourselves. I only have to shop for my two grandchildren and that will be it. I will still do stockings, with candy etc.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 09:46 AM   #6
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

My 10 year old son wants a cell phone. I don't want him to have one yet. It's not that he's irresponsible or anything but isn't 10 a little young? Many of his friends have a smart phone so maybe I'm just out to lunch.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 09:52 AM   #7
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
My 10 year old son wants a cell phone. I don't want him to have one yet. It's not that he's irresponsible or anything but isn't 10 a little young? Many of his friends have a smart phone so maybe I'm just out to lunch.
It seems young, but my kids got phones around that age because it just made my life easier. We dropped the home phone, so having a way to contact the kids just made sense to me. I think that if these phones were available when I was that age that I would've had one.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2019, 10:38 AM   #8
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
My 10 year old grandson got a smart phone this year. Yes, that is young, but with school zones changed so much, and children having long walks or rides to school, and having to be on their own more, safety is the main prerequisite.

My daughter also installed new garage door openers that co-ordinate with the locks on all of her house doors. They have an app that that will notify her if my grandson has perhaps forgot to lock the door of the house or close the garage door on his way to school.

At 10 years of age, they are quite responsible, but certainly not as much as an adult, so safety measures are always a good back up.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to redforever For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2019, 12:32 PM   #9
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
No gift exchanges this year, and its unlikely that we're going to have any kind of family get together this year.

I'll buy my folks a early christmas dinner, and then probably slip out to Vegas for a couple of days.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2019, 12:53 PM   #10
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This seems like as good a place as any to ask this -

I'm sure I can't be the only parent of a young girl on here that loves her American Girl / Journey Girl / Our Generation dolls. The problem this Christmas is that my little angel would like a doll house for hers, similar to a Barbie dreamhouse, but on an obviously larger scale. The thought of an American Girl house like this makes me think I'd need a mortgage on it, so I'm ideally looking for another brand, or even commissioned house... Any ideas CP?
you&me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 01:07 PM   #11
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
This seems like as good a place as any to ask this -

I'm sure I can't be the only parent of a young girl on here that loves her American Girl / Journey Girl / Our Generation dolls. The problem this Christmas is that my little angel would like a doll house for hers, similar to a Barbie dreamhouse, but on an obviously larger scale. The thought of an American Girl house like this makes me think I'd need a mortgage on it, so I'm ideally looking for another brand, or even commissioned house... Any ideas CP?
Today is the day I googled American Girl dolls and found out that dolls cost $98 US dollars now.

And also look like this still somehow? Seems a little "old fashioned" no?

nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 03:37 PM   #12
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

No gifts this year for me too outside of my nephews. I'll go back home and it will be me and my parents. So nothing special this year. Some drinks, some church and if it snows, some manual labour.
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 05:51 PM   #13
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

I was asked to be an Elf at the Town of High Rivers Santa skate on December. 2nd. Different organizations will be handing out hot chocolate and hot dogs to the kids. Santa will be there and I will be assisting him in handing out candy canes to the kids.

For that evening I bought an Elf costume that includes a hat, tunic, red and green leggings and matching slippers. Will post pics of myself in costume later

I thought it would be a good way to give back to the community and kids in general. I expect it will be a fun night.
Old 11-15-2019, 06:21 PM   #14
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I want a hula-hoop, and world peace, and to hear the sound of children laughing.

And a visit from Halle berry.

That is all
Old 11-15-2019, 06:46 PM   #15
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

I don't really get into Christmas too much until December. My favorite holiday of the year but I don't get those that have everything lit up already, including trees. To each their own, but we set up everything December 1st and then it's game on.

We've really cut back on presents over the past few years, try to buy less presents for the kids but stuff they really want. Got one of our daughters Billie Eilish concert tickets, she thinks I have to work and can't get the time off, so really looking forward to seeing her reaction on Christmas day, she's going to freak out.

And for those who feel like watching something to get you slightly in the spirit, one my my favorite guilty pleasure movies to watch, Love Actually, is on tonight
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2019, 07:44 PM   #16
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

We have a family friend and her 3 year old son staying with us this weekend. During nap time yesterday in the guest room he managed to get into the closet and unwrap all our Christmas presents. Not just the wrapping paper but everything fully removed from the packaging!

I told my wife it serves her right for being proactive and doing all the wrapping in November. I’m waiting til Christmas Eve to wrap her presents.
Old 11-15-2019, 08:42 PM   #17
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Rented a house in Costa Rica for two weeks. My wife and kids, and my sisters family are going. I’m really looking forward to it.
8 Ball is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 8 Ball For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2019, 08:54 PM   #18
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
I don't really get into Christmas too much until December. My favorite holiday of the year but I don't get those that have everything lit up already, including trees. To each their own, but we set up everything December 1st and then it's game on.

We've really cut back on presents over the past few years, try to buy less presents for the kids but stuff they really want. Got one of our daughters Billie Eilish concert tickets, she thinks I have to work and can't get the time off, so really looking forward to seeing her reaction on Christmas day, she's going to freak out.

And for those who feel like watching something to get you slightly in the spirit, one my my favorite guilty pleasure movies to watch, Love Actually, is on tonight

Yep it’s not Christmas without Love Actually!
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bigtmac19 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2019, 09:51 PM   #19
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I discovered the Costco photo center this year so now everybody is getting dog calendars and dog water bottles and blankets covered in dogs and dog mugs. Gawd I'm lame. PM me if you want a dog item of some kind.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2019, 10:04 PM   #20
Dynamic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

So far it’s quiet on the Xmas front at my house. My tree does not go up until December and I’d taken down after New Years, I try to resist Christmas until the last possible moment. My kids have a list in their room where they add too when they see something they want.

Family gathering at the sisters place this year. Our family gift exchange has a rule where whatever you get cannot be bought. It has to be from your house and not used anymore. No buying new stuff. This is our third year in and it’s great for purging stuff. It has come down to mostly gag gifts and it works out very well. Last year I got a selfie stick among other things.
Dynamic is offline   Reply With Quote