Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2019, 12:12 PM   #1601
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

My friends at Hanging Garden are about to release their sixth album, 'Into the Good Night'. Albums out tomorrow, but I've heard it already and it's really good stuff. Which isn't surprising because all their stuff has been just excellent of late. I really love their sound.

Three singles/videos already from the new album. I think the first one is my favourite. Or maybe the second. In any case I love the atmosphere, emotional and melancholic.

Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2019, 12:22 PM   #1602
BurningYears
First Line Centre

Exp:

Since we are on a Ozzy kick. this is still one of my favorites:

Old 11-14-2019, 12:29 PM   #1603
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
My friends at Hanging Garden are about to release their sixth album, 'Into the Good Night'. Albums out tomorrow, but I've heard it already and it's really good stuff. Which isn't surprising because all their stuff has been just excellent of late. I really love their sound.
hell yeah Itse! I thought I was the only one here who loves them. They deserve so much more attention and success. Can't wait for the new one, really liked "I Am Become" and especially "Blackout Whiteout".

This one's my favourite of them though. And "Ennen".

devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2019, 12:31 PM   #1604
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningYears View Post
Since we are on a Ozzy kick. this is still one of my favorites:

I compulsively watch this video any time I see it posted. It's always bitter sweet, Randy was Ozzy's guitar soul mate. Ozzy still gets choked up thinking about Randy and what could have been.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2019, 03:34 PM   #1605
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
I compulsively watch this video any time I see it posted. It's always bitter sweet, Randy was Ozzy's guitar soul mate. Ozzy still gets choked up thinking about Randy and what could have been.
I wish I got to see Randy play live. Ozzy was supposed to come to Calgary but cancelled after the accident. Ten-year-old me was so bummed.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 02:59 AM   #1606
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon37

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
hell yeah Itse! I thought I was the only one here who loves them. They deserve so much more attention and success. Can't wait for the new one, really liked "I Am Become" and especially "Blackout Whiteout".

This one's my favourite of them though. And "Ennen".

'Ennen' is a favorite of mine too

Obviously I'm a bit biased as I know Toni (vocals) and Nino (keyboards) from the Helsinki larp scene (not like we're super close or anything), but I would never advertise bands I don't think are genuinely worth listening.

I actually only tuned into Hanging Garden this year. I knew of them through mutual friends almost from the start, but since I wasn't into their first couple of albums I kind of ignored them for a long time. Shame on me I guess. Now I'm quite looking forward to seeing them alive.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2019, 07:03 AM   #1607
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I liked "Layers of Time" better, but this is still good.

After listening to Black Anima heavily for the last month I can conclude that this is a fantastic metal album. It's a dark and heavy banger that's relentless from beginning to end without any of the Sirius Octane grade ballads we see from a lot of metal bands these days. 2019 has been a great year for metal music and this one is one of the best albums I've listened to.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2019, 12:02 PM   #1608
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
After listening to Black Anima heavily for the last month I can conclude that this is a fantastic metal album. It's a dark and heavy banger that's relentless from beginning to end without any of the Sirius Octane grade ballads we see from a lot of metal bands these days. 2019 has been a great year for metal music and this one is one of the best albums I've listened to.
IMO they hit it out the park on both Delirium and Black Anima. Though a couple of songs on Black Anima need a different mix to bring the vocals a bit more up front.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 10:45 AM   #1609
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I saw In Flames at The Palace last night and I thought they put on a great show. They played a lot of songs and surprisingly a lot of their older material. They have never been one of my go-to bands but over the year they have accumulated a lot of good songs and I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2019, 04:49 PM   #1610
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Glad you enjoyed the show. I unfortunately couldn’t make it last night but have seen them several times before. Agreed that they usually put on a great show and Anders is a heck of a frontman. Their new material seems to rub “diehards” the wrong way, but I will always think of them fondly. Whoracle and Clayman were gateway drugs for me to dive into Melodic death and all of the great scenes in Europe.
flamingred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamingred89 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2019, 12:02 PM   #1611
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

Went to Ensiferum and Kalmah last night at Dickens.
Great show, though Dickens was absolutely jammed pack (at Immolation, there was a lot more room to move around). The pit was crazy, but I'm getting a bit old to constantly get bumped around, so I pulled back a bit and still had a great view. The sound was good live for both bands.

I used to listen to both of these bands ~15 years ago, and it was a blast to see that they're still playing. A ton of fun live.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Esoteric For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2019, 03:21 PM   #1612
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was at the show last night too. Kalmah and Ensiferum were excellent as usual. It was a shame about Abigail Williams missing their guitarist as I definitely think that hurt their performance.

Dickens was packed. Almost to the point where I thought they were over code. Love to see that kind of turnout for great bands , but shows the need for more smaller venues in Calgary. Something in between a Dickens and The Palace.
flamingred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 09:50 AM   #1613
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingred89 View Post
Was at the show last night too. Kalmah and Ensiferum were excellent as usual. It was a shame about Abigail Williams missing their guitarist as I definitely think that hurt their performance.

Dickens was packed. Almost to the point where I thought they were over code. Love to see that kind of turnout for great bands , but shows the need for more smaller venues in Calgary. Something in between a Dickens and The Palace.
In regards to Dickens they are really just making the best out of a basement bar. It's not really ideal for anything over half full because there's obstructed sightlines and the stage is tiny. Right now I would have to say the Palace is my favorite place to see a concert in this city.
Old 11-25-2019, 01:59 PM   #1614
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingred89 View Post

That was a shame that they missed their guitarist. I still enjoyed the set, but you could tell something was missing.

I agree with the overcrowded assessment - Dickens was extremely packed. I would have liked a bigger venue for this show as well. If Alestorm played the palace, I probably could have gotten a ticket to that show as well!
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 09:32 AM   #1615
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

A new Kvelertak single was released today.

New lead singer Ivar Nioklaisen sounds pretty good.

The new album, "Splid," is coming 14 February.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 09:37 AM   #1616
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

interesting, didn't know they changed singers. Really liked 1985 and some other stuff on Nattesferd.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 09:39 AM   #1617
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
interesting, didn't know they changed singers. Really liked 1985 and some other stuff on Nattesferd.
I loved Nattesferd, but the new single sounds like a bit of a nod back to older stuff of theirs from their self-titled album.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 10:49 AM   #1618
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just a reminder King Diamond plays in Vancouver tonight, saw the Detroit show and it a great one!
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 02:05 PM   #1619
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Not digging the new Kvelertak vocalist. Too bad, their self titled album is killer.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 02:44 PM   #1620
BurningYears
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ran into this song on my shuffle today and thought I would share since its easily one of my favorites