- great point after starting the third down two against cup champs
- Tkachuk continues to roll
- points in 7 of last 9 games
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 11:28 PM   #2
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great writeup as always Bingo. I will quibble with your Rittich “nothing to see here” comment. Rittich hasn’t yet been able to shoulder a full season workload which makes him different than some of the other guys you mention. There is good reason IMO to ease him into a heavy workload. The Flames also spent big money relatively speaking for a backup, as cap strapped as they are. To me, it’s worth watching.

And this was a great, entertaining hockey game I thought.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 11:34 PM   #3
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

On CBC, it felt a bit like some kind of HNIC torture. Suddenly everything goes all black like someone threw a bag over your head, and all you have to orient you is Randorf and Debrusk. Scary.

And Rittich is awesome.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2019, 02:28 AM   #4
UKflames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Thank you for the write up, as always. Waking up most mornings, having not seen the game yet, I always start here, before the pgt, for a balanced measure of how the game went, it off sets a lot of the negativity we can get in the pgt.
UKflames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to UKflames For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2019, 07:04 AM   #5
ColoradoFlamesFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

You asked “what’s up with Johnny?”
I’ve thought this too.
I think about the stories of his eating habits and have to wonder if that, and his age have started to catch up? I recall how Iginla had to change his routine and limit bulk muscle to keep his speed up later in his career.
I see him as kind of stuck in a rut and maybe he has to change some off ice habits to keep his on ice game advancing
ColoradoFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ColoradoFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2019, 12:00 PM   #6
Brick
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The Flames need to put a lot more emphasis on practicing shooting accuracy.

It is ridiculous how many times that they missed the net.
Brick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brick For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2019, 12:29 PM   #7
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brick View Post
the flames need to practice.
fyp
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2019, 12:56 PM   #8
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Great writeup as always Bingo. I will quibble with your Rittich “nothing to see here” comment. Rittich hasn’t yet been able to shoulder a full season workload which makes him different than some of the other guys you mention. There is good reason IMO to ease him into a heavy workload. The Flames also spent big money relatively speaking for a backup, as cap strapped as they are. To me, it’s worth watching.

And this was a great, entertaining hockey game I thought.
For sure, agree 100%

But the context in things like that bug me. "Rittich is the most used goaltender" without looking at a % of each team's minutes is lazy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2019, 12:00 AM   #9
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Great write up. I'd echo the concerns around Johnny. He's getting points, but not driving play. And that's the big change from years prior where he looked Hart calibre for long stretches. It would be great to see a deep dive into this. Possible options include:

- bad luck
- regression after a career year
- a fall off in conditioning
- issues with the mental side of the game
- opposing teams have figured out a game plan and player needs to adjust
- flames have asked the first line to change up their style of play one that allows for them to be more effective in playoff hockey and johnny is working through the transition

My bet is on #2. Johnny isn't feeling it. Given that I've never seen Johnny play this poorly for this long, it makes me think the issues might actually be partly non-hockey related.

The silver lining is that Monahan and lindholm have taken big steps forward, so if Johnny can find his old game, that line could be unreal.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:22 AM   #10
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

(Originally Posted by brick
the flames need to practice)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
fyp
This. Flames have greatly needed these multiple days off at home we're only now getting.
Yrebmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:49 AM   #11
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
Great write up. I'd echo the concerns around Johnny. He's getting points, but not driving play. And that's the big change from years prior where he looked Hart calibre for long stretches. It would be great to see a deep dive into this. Possible options include:

- bad luck
- regression after a career year
- a fall off in conditioning
- issues with the mental side of the game
- opposing teams have figured out a game plan and player needs to adjust
- flames have asked the first line to change up their style of play one that allows for them to be more effective in playoff hockey and johnny is working through the transition

My bet is on #2. Johnny isn't feeling it. Given that I've never seen Johnny play this poorly for this long, it makes me think the issues might actually be partly non-hockey related.

The silver lining is that Monahan and lindholm have taken big steps forward, so if Johnny can find his old game, that line could be unreal.
These things are always due to more than one factor, but I think the mental side is the big issue for not only Gaudreau, but others in the team's core.

When I coach kids I always tell them to ignore the scoreboard when a game goes against you early. Keep playing the way we can play and things will take care of themselves. The human nature is to go individual and force things, we certainly saw that with Gaudreau in the playoffs last year.

Right now he's getting some bad bounces, but he's also forcing things a bit. Driving play isn't taking what isn't there, it's his ability to process at a fast pace and realize what is there.

When he's feeling it he sees the game at a 360 level. When he's not it's closer to 90.