Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-05-2019, 01:21 PM   #1
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Fitness and eating apps?

I've been using carb manager to keep track of calories, carbs, and adding in exercise, but find it's limited. I want to track steps and have it integrated. I heard an ad for Noom on a podcast I listen to, and thought I'd seek the CP braintrust on their experience with these kinds of apps.

Ideally I'd like an app that has:
1-Good nutrition database for lots of food
2-Step tracker that integrates into your daily tracking
3- Is either free or cheap cuz im a cheapskate
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2019, 01:24 PM   #2
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

My Fitness Pal works pretty well and met all 3 of your criteria when I used it.
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calf For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2019, 01:27 PM   #3
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

my fitness pal is good, but if you want a step tracker too you could get a fitbit since it has a step tracker + food tracking built in
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 01:37 PM   #4
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

I used myfitnesspal for a while and lost a bunch of weight. I sort of stagnated, but I started cycling more and more, aided by my longer commute (15km each way) and I've lost a lot of fat, though not much weight overall.
Old 11-05-2019, 01:37 PM   #5
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you're planning on bringing your phone with you everywhere you go, the iPhone, and presumably other phones, will do a fairly good step / stair count. You can link the data to MyFitnessPal if you choose.

Just as a note, I also tried FatSecret for nutrition but it's food database was severely lacking, and also not even synched up between countries databases - so people could add food items from Europe (I do some shopping once in a while at a Dutch store) and you can't find them until you log off and log into the the Netherlands site. It got annoying really fast and I went with MyFitnessPal.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 02:49 PM   #6
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

As a 47 yr old, who until recently didn't need to worry about what I ate or drank or how much activity I did, this interests me.

I believe I will give it a go, 30 pounds since Feb 2019 and it has to go.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2019, 04:22 PM   #7
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

MyFitnessPal is a great app. It also is compatible with quite a few step counters, but you'll have to check which ones are compatible with it.
DoubleF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 04:58 PM   #8
Stillman16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I use the Lose it! App on IPhone, works well, down about 30lbs.

I use the free features, food data base is vast, ever growing as people add info too. Can pay for extra features/nutrient tracking.
Stillman16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stillman16 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2019, 10:16 PM   #9
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

I used noom for a long time and found it worked very well for me in terms of calorie tracking. I still prefer it to Fitbit for tracking food intake, but I've switched over to Fitbit anyways because it lets me tie together the wristband with the app and the scale. My Fitbit scale tracks my weight and body fat %, syncs that data automatically with the app which sets calorie limits based on weight. The wristband tracker records activity levels, heart rate, sleep etc. and automatically adjusts calorie allowance in the app based on how active I am. I really like that integrated set up.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 09:14 AM   #10
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

I find Samsung Health is quite good for tracking fitness/food. I presume other phones would have something similar...

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 05:24 PM   #11
FireInTheHole
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If you try Noom, here is a tip from my experience.

I signed up for the trial last month and cancelled it when they wanted to charge for the trial. Then they gave me the trial for free. After a couple of weeks, I went to cancel the free trial (or you get billed for 3 months at a time in advance on your credit card) and I was then offered a month to month service at a discounted rate. Hope this helps to save some $ if you want to try it. I haven't used it enough yet to recommend it or not.
FireInTheHole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 11:35 AM   #12
GrrlGoalie33
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've used My FitnessPal in the past but recently switched to Weight Watchers to shake things up.

without changing my activity level, dropped 3lbs in the first week and I'm eating much healthier as most fruits and veggies have a 0 point value!
GrrlGoalie33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 10:16 AM   #13
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another vote for MyFitnessPal. The food database can’t be beaten; with such a massive user base, the sheer volume of food nutritional data they’ve been able to crowdsource is going to be hard for any competitor to beat, especially with the head-start they’ve enjoyed. People have even done their own calculations for certain foods like fast food burgers without buns for the low-carb crowd, so you can usually search “Teen Burger no bun” and actually get the right data.

I also use Zero - Fasting Tracker for iPhone to track my 16 hour intermittent fasts. The wife has Android, and she uses Vora - Fasting Tracker in the Play Store for the same thing.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 11:41 AM   #14
Angelamc
Backup Goalie

Exp:

MyFitnessPal is great and you can get it to focus on macros if you do keto diet. Keto is awesome, btw, if you can get into it. Easiest diet i've ever tried.
Angelamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 12:18 PM   #15
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelamc View Post
MyFitnessPal is great and you can get it to focus on macros if you do keto diet. Keto is awesome, btw, if you can get into it. Easiest diet i've ever tried.
If you load up Tampermonkey on Edge, Edge Chromium, Firefox, Safari, or Chome, you can use the MFP Macro Script to add a 'Net Carbs' column to MFP.

Kind of surprising that MFP hasn't opted to add this functionality themselves, since all it does is subtract your dietary fiber from your total carbohydrate count.
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2019, 05:23 PM   #16
Angelamc
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
If you load up Tampermonkey on Edge, Edge Chromium, Firefox, Safari, or Chome, you can use the MFP Macro Script to add a 'Net Carbs' column to MFP.

Kind of surprising that MFP hasn't opted to add this functionality themselves, since all it does is subtract your dietary fiber from your total carbohydrate count.
Ah cool
Yeah I use the App on my phone and just calculate my net and keep that number in mind. Can I use the tamper monkey thing with the app on my phone in any way
Or it’s only when using it on computer?
oh and kind of off topic but I just found a diabetic bakery in the SW called Just Sweet Enough. Dayummmm delicious baked good with no sugar super low carb keto friendly stuff. Takes the edge off those sweet cravings when dieting in any way.
Angelamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 01:17 PM   #17
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelamc View Post
Ah cool
Yeah I use the App on my phone and just calculate my net and keep that number in mind. Can I use the tamper monkey thing with the app on my phone in any way
Or it’s only when using it on computer?
oh and kind of off topic but I just found a diabetic bakery in the SW called Just Sweet Enough. Dayummmm delicious baked good with no sugar super low carb keto friendly stuff. Takes the edge off those sweet cravings when dieting in any way.
Only available on PC for now... maybe Android phones? No idea.

Just Sweet Enough is great, we're big fans in our house.
Old 09-14-2020, 11:09 AM   #18
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bumping this thread as I'm thinking of downloading either Noom or MyFitnessPal. I'm not really overweight, but I've definitely packed on some pounds since Covid started and I desperately need to get in shape and I want to get into better food habits. It looks like some of you were going to be starting on these apps, what are your thoughts? Pros & cons? Any other apps you'd recommend?
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 01:12 PM   #19
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still really like MyFitnessPal. Would recommend.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigtmac19 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2020, 02:02 PM   #20
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
Bumping this thread as I'm thinking of downloading either Noom or MyFitnessPal. I'm not really overweight, but I've definitely packed on some pounds since Covid started and I desperately need to get in shape and I want to get into better food habits. It looks like some of you were going to be starting on these apps, what are your thoughts? Pros & cons? Any other apps you'd recommend?
They're really 2 different things.

MyFitnessPal is the go to tracker but you'll want to know what your goals are already or use other resources to set those.
I don't find it to be a coaching app, which is what Noom is supposed to be (haven't used Noom, but that's my understanding).

I'm on my 281st consecutive day tracking with MyFitnessPal and can say it completely changed how I approach eating and drinking. Very eye opening to the diet decisions you are making and what you put in your body.

Probably the most important app on my phone; complete game changer.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post: