Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-04-2019, 07:15 PM   #61
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

A couple things to keep an eye on is the materials used and how well they are able to hide cables.

With the material it's important that all cables are UV rated. Many types of plastic cable arent and the insulation can become brittle to touch.

My other concern is how well they hide the cables, that's mostly aesthetic but personally I wouldn't want to see wires ran around the sides and up/down stories. That's going to be the difference between a professional install and a hack job.
PaperBagger'14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 05:59 PM   #62
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
A couple things to keep an eye on is the materials used and how well they are able to hide cables.

With the material it's important that all cables are UV rated. Many types of plastic cable arent and the insulation can become brittle to touch.

My other concern is how well they hide the cables, that's mostly aesthetic but personally I wouldn't want to see wires ran around the sides and up/down stories. That's going to be the difference between a professional install and a hack job.

The two companies in this thread have a custom channel they produce that hides all the cords. For my application I am going to have to use two j channels put together to enclose it nicely. I am a long way from that point though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 10:46 PM   #63
3thirty
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Bump, has anyone gone with Gemstone or Trimlight?

I had both companies out for quotes, but wanted to see if anyone had used either.
3thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 07:41 AM   #64
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

Our neighbour just got gemstone and I think it looks really good. At first I thought it looked awful but they must have had some pattern setting where every 3rd light was out but they have since switched it and it looks really good. I imagine they also have the ability to change the colour but so far I have only seen white.

Swayze11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 10:09 AM   #65
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swayze11 View Post
Our neighbour just got gemstone and I think it looks really good. At first I thought it looked awful but they must have had some pattern setting where every 3rd light was out but they have since switched it and it looks really good. I imagine they also have the ability to change the colour but so far I have only seen white.
They look really good however the spacing is too much in my opinion. I would rather 2" and then the colour looks more fluid. I have moved houses so i don't have anything going as of yet but I still plan on getting it set up.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:55 AM   #66
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
They look really good however the spacing is too much in my opinion. I would rather 2" and then the colour looks more fluid. I have moved houses so i don't have anything going as of yet but I still plan on getting it set up.
Yea I do agree and with the pattern they used (every 3rd light not on) it looked awful.

Swayze11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 12:02 PM   #67
ClubFlames
Posted the 2 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3thirty View Post
Bump, has anyone gone with Gemstone or Trimlight?

I had both companies out for quotes, but wanted to see if anyone had used either.
I had Gemstone install lights 2 weeks ago, it looks amazing and we have had 5-6 of our neighbors come by to inquire about them.

ClubFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 12:56 PM   #68
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm rethinking permanent LEDs because apparently you have to service them every 4 or 5 years? Or is that fear mongering from traditional installers?
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 09:39 PM   #69
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Never heard of Gemstone before the thread.

Holy crap those are swank!! What is the ballpark cost?
Canadianman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 11:07 AM   #70
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
I'm rethinking permanent LEDs because apparently you have to service them every 4 or 5 years? Or is that fear mongering from traditional installers?
It isn't really fear mongering because they created their own led pixel so not as easy to swap out since you can't buy it second hand. ( I am assuming they won't sell you it without service) Benefit of doing it yourself is you can easily switch out a pixel if one goes down as long as it isn't in a weird location like a peak.
The Following User Says Thank You to fundmark19 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2019, 07:59 PM   #71
Steveyoto
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Just had Trimlight installed a week or so ago. We are in love. I would recommend Curtis from Trimlight to anyone, all day. He is a pro. I think they are going to be15% off after Christmas.
Steveyoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 09:33 AM   #72
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveyoto View Post
Just had Trimlight installed a week or so ago. We are in love. I would recommend Curtis from Trimlight to anyone, all day. He is a pro. I think they are going to be15% off after Christmas.
What was the cost, if you don't mind? An idea of cost/linear foot would be helpful. I am considering these on our next house.

Thanks!
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigNumbers For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2019, 12:21 PM   #73
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveyoto View Post
Pics or it didn't happen.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 12:22 PM   #74
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubFlames View Post
I had Gemstone install lights 2 weeks ago, it looks amazing and we have had 5-6 of our neighbors come by to inquire about them.
Pics or it didn't happen.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 01:11 PM   #75
me_dennis
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Heilight is another local company. I got a quote from Wyatt and it came to around $2700. My neighbour down the road got it installed and it looks sweet but too much for me.
me_dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 09:58 AM   #76
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bump

Anybody get gemstone or trimlight? Experiences? I’m thinking about getting this done this summer. Maybe lower prices and shorter wait times for installs rather than right before Christmas. Would be nice to have it for halloween too.

I’ve seen a few people in the community with them and i think they make the house look really good.

Thoughts?
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 03:39 PM   #77
InBurkeWeTrust
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I just had these installed a couple weeks ago. Played around with the colours and patterns for the first few days, but recently I have just used them as architectural lighting dimmed to 50%. I'll probably make them colourful only for special holidays and whatnot.

I had them install front and back of the house.
InBurkeWeTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 03:46 PM   #78
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InBurkeWeTrust View Post
I just had these installed a couple weeks ago. Played around with the colours and patterns for the first few days, but recently I have just used them as architectural lighting dimmed to 50%. I'll probably make them colourful only for special holidays and whatnot.

I had them install front and back of the house.
Nice. I got a quote for a few thousand bucks for just the front of my house.

Front and back is fancy indeed.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 10:38 AM   #79
edn88
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

We are looking to do the same. Timing might not be the best at peak season, but we are going to try. What has the price been for others who have done this. We are looking at Gemstone.
Old 10-12-2021, 02:22 PM   #80
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Are there any options for wifi controlled multi-color LED holiday lights that you hang yourself? The only thing I've found that has the features I want is Twinkly, but their lights are designed for indoor only and have the power/control in the middle of the string, so I can't hang them on the eaves. I'd love to have a Gemstone install done, but there's no way the wife approves spending several thousand dollars just for holiday lights
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote