Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-20-2019, 07:17 AM   #1
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Parcel forwarding services to US - specifically DYK Post

Anyone use DYK Post to US addresses? Good/bad experiences?

Looks like a good alternative to Canada Post if you don't mind driving a little further than the local post office. They also offer Canada bound shipping from US. Could be a cheaper route for some online ordering.

https://www2.dykpost.com/
Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 07:22 AM   #2
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've used DYK many times. They're great and I've never had an issue. Way cheaper than Canada Post, albeit a little less convenient.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2019, 07:54 AM   #3
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I’ve only used them for inbound packages from the US, but I’ve found them quite good.
sleepingmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sleepingmoose For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2019, 07:56 AM   #4
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I've used DYK many times. They're great and I've never had an issue. Way cheaper than Canada Post, albeit a little less convenient.
Will they slap a label on my own, good to go box and off it goes? Doesn't need to be one of those USPS pre-paid boxes?

Is insurance up to a certain point included I assume, and do they give you a tracking number right there?
Old 10-20-2019, 08:28 AM   #5
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I’ve never used them but I have a customer who uses Chit Chats regularly.

https://chitchats.com/
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2019, 08:37 AM   #6
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
Anyone use DYK Post to US addresses? Good/bad experiences?

Looks like a good alternative to Canada Post if you don't mind driving a little further than the local post office. They also offer Canada bound shipping from US. Could be a cheaper route for some online ordering.

https://www2.dykpost.com/
I use them for outbound packages to the US. No complaints, other than their warehouse being pretty out of the way for me.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikephoen For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2019, 09:11 AM   #7
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
Will they slap a label on my own, good to go box and off it goes? Doesn't need to be one of those USPS pre-paid boxes?

Is insurance up to a certain point included I assume, and do they give you a tracking number right there?
Yup. Just have your stuff packaged with the address of course and head on over. You have fill out a manifesto (for customs), and they'll weigh it and measure it and put a label on. It's pretty much like going to the regular post office in that regard.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2019, 09:34 AM   #8
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thanks guys.

This definitely looks like the way to go. I wonder how chit chats compares to DYK. They're in a much more convenient location. I might give them a try.
Old 10-20-2019, 10:56 AM   #9
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Having stuff shipped here is not that economical due to import duties but if something doesn't ship to Canada great solution.

For shipping to the U.S. DYK is awesome I sell a whole bunch on Ebay now where I couldn't before due to shipping costs. On costs it is way cheaper for example I just sent a package total was $16 Canadian same thing sent via Canada Post $38. Calgary to Florida takes 3-4 days generally sometimes 5 depending on the day you dropped off the package.

Last edited by zamler; 10-20-2019 at 10:58 AM.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 11:51 AM   #10
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone used them to ship a golf club to the US?
Old 10-20-2019, 11:54 AM   #11
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

You can ship anything that USPS ships go to their site and calculate a price which will include dimensions.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 12:36 PM   #12
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I used them for some inbound packages as well via Montana Mailboxes. Worked out well. Depending on where the stuff originated from the duties will vary
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 02:08 PM   #13
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 03:26 PM   #14
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingmoose View Post
I’ve only used them for inbound packages from the US, but I’ve found them quite good.

How much do you pay for brokerage fees and such? And does it matter if you get packages imported from different companies versus the same company?
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 05:05 PM   #15
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
How much do you pay for brokerage fees and such? And does it matter if you get packages imported from different companies versus the same company?
The fees, taxes and delivery fees really depend on the size, weight and value of the parcel - and it’s country of origin. There’s no state sales tax in Montana, so that’s a bit of a savings at the original POS. All the info is on their site here: https://www2.dykpost.com/canada-bound-shipping/

It’s not really much savings once you factor exchange rate and such if it’s something you can buy in Canada (or if it’s a really smoking deal in the US), but it’s great for something you can’t get here, or has crazy international shipping rates.
Old 10-20-2019, 05:17 PM   #16
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've used DYK (thanks to Slava's recommendation a few years ago) many times to ship to the US, and it's been fantastic. It's cheaper and also much faster...so pretty much a no brainer.

Shipping to Canada is a bit more of a crapshoot...not because of DYK but because the Duty costs are unknown. But its a good way at least to get stuff that otherwise wouldn't ship to Canada.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 05:40 PM   #17
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

"We do not import guns, weapons and related accessories, drugs, medicines, spirits, wine, beer, tobacco products and food items including drugs/foods for pets."

Think that means meal replacement powders too? There's a couple I want to try but either have super expensive shipping to Canada or don't ship to Canada at all.
Old 10-20-2019, 09:15 PM   #18
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingmoose View Post
The fees, taxes and delivery fees really depend on the size, weight and value of the parcel - and it’s country of origin. There’s no state sales tax in Montana, so that’s a bit of a savings at the original POS. All the info is on their site here: https://www2.dykpost.com/canada-bound-shipping/

It’s not really much savings once you factor exchange rate and such if it’s something you can buy in Canada (or if it’s a really smoking deal in the US), but it’s great for something you can’t get here, or has crazy international shipping rates.
The fees for DYK to deliver the parcel from Montana to Calgary are pretty nominal; however, the brokerage fees seem like they could get pretty high. What does it mean when it says "Brokerage per vendor"? I guess I could just contact them but in your experience does it mean that you can import 5 packages from the same "vendor" (i.e. Amazon) totaling $150 for only $15.00 in brokerage fees? I also buy stuff on eBay sometimes but it wouldn't be cost effective to pay $15.00 for every single one if each "vendor" is different?
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 09:33 PM   #19
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Think that means meal replacement powders too? There's a couple I want to try but either have super expensive shipping to Canada or don't ship to Canada at all.
I'd be interested in knowing also. I'd like to get TORQ gels out of the US from their US website (a product from the UK), which are no longer available in Canada due to backwards labelling and language laws...

Bonus gear grinder: I am constantly annoyed at our 2nd world status when it comes to trying to efficiently mail order items from the US. Free shipping? - sorry, you're Canadian...
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 10:23 PM   #20
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
The fees for DYK to deliver the parcel from Montana to Calgary are pretty nominal; however, the brokerage fees seem like they could get pretty high. What does it mean when it says "Brokerage per vendor"? I guess I could just contact them but in your experience does it mean that you can import 5 packages from the same "vendor" (i.e. Amazon) totaling $150 for only $15.00 in brokerage fees? I also buy stuff on eBay sometimes but it wouldn't be cost effective to pay $15.00 for every single one if each "vendor" is different?
You can definitely broker under the same entry if they're from the same vendor - less than if they were all separate. Best you either contact them, or check out the link at the bottom of the page I linked earlier - there's a number of different scenarios there with the same or different vendors.
The Following User Says Thank You to sleepingmoose For This Useful Post: