Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-23-2019, 07:07 AM   #1921
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jeez, $80? This is the type of game that would have been released on 3DS for $40. It sounds like it is a pretty direct re-make of the original which I have played, so I might wait for a discount on this one.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 07:38 AM   #1922
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Yup. That is definitely one of the side benefits for Nintendo's. The hybrid console inflated the formerly accepted "handheld price" to match regular console price.

FWIW though, the original game came out to $75 in 2019 dollars. C'est la vie.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 09:42 AM   #1923
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Jeez, $80? This is the type of game that would have been released on 3DS for $40. It sounds like it is a pretty direct re-make of the original which I have played, so I might wait for a discount on this one.
Yeah -- I used one of my digital vouchers on it so it was $65, which is still a bit steep. $80 is a bit much. Unfortunately it's first party Nintendo, so you're unlikely to see any discount on it for a long time.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 10:35 AM   #1924
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Yeah -- I used one of my digital vouchers on it so it was $65, which is still a bit steep. $80 is a bit much. Unfortunately it's first party Nintendo, so you're unlikely to see any discount on it for a long time.

This is what's prevented me from getting a Switch, Nintendo just never lowers the price on any of their games. With 2 young kids I could never keep up with the amount of new games coming out even if I wanted to, but that has the benefit of keeping costs very reasonable for stuff I do buy on PC and PS4. But Super Mario Odyssey, which is a 2 year old game now, is still $80. When I can pick up AAA games less than a year old for half that on Steam or the Playstation store, the Switch just isn't a very good value
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 10:35 AM   #1925
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, if you are looking to grab it on the cheap... EB games has the trade 2 deal for Links Awakening until the 26th. Games have to have a trade-in value of at least $15.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:49 AM   #1926
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

According to Reddit, you can trade in one game and get $40 off too.

But someone else posted this as a trick: Buy the Starlink/Mario+Rabbids bundle at Best Buy for $40. Then buy something like the PS4/XB1 copy of a game like Kingdom Hearts 3 or DQ 11 for $30. Then trade Mario + Rabbids and KH/DQ in to get Link's Awakening.

You end up with LA and Starlink for $70.
Old 09-23-2019, 11:22 AM   #1927
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

EB Games definitely lets you trade 1 for $40 off of Link’s Awakening (as long as the trade-in value is $15 or greater).

That’s what I did at Northland on Friday.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 01:58 PM   #1928
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's a 10 hour game so maybe good second hand deals soon
Old 09-25-2019, 01:23 PM   #1929
calgarybornnraised
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Guess I’ll put this in here, Mario Kart Tour app sucks. I don’t know what they we’re thinking with the controls being like that ,they should have done the tilting steering. At least it’s free.
calgarybornnraised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 02:36 PM   #1930
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarybornnraised View Post
Guess I’ll put this in here, Mario Kart Tour app sucks. I don’t know what they we’re thinking with the controls being like that ,they should have done the tilting steering. At least it’s free.
It does have tilt steering, enable in the settings. Regardless the controls are still terrible.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Raekwon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2019, 02:35 PM   #1931
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

30 hours on and Dragon Quest XI is quickly turning in to an all time favourite. Damn, what a breath of fresh air, especially with the direction-less tripe Final Fantasy has been the last decade and a half.

Highly recommended. If you’re any kind of fan of classic JRPGs at all, I’d consider it a must play.
Old 10-04-2019, 04:05 PM   #1932
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
30 hours on and Dragon Quest XI is quickly turning in to an all time favourite. Damn, what a breath of fresh air, especially with the direction-less tripe Final Fantasy has been the last decade and a half.

Highly recommended. If you’re any kind of fan of classic JRPGs at all, I’d consider it a must play.
It looks great but my Switch backlog is getting as bad as my PC backlog. Maybe I'll buy it on sale at Christmas.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 03:26 PM   #1933
Isikiz
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Has anyone else played Untitled Goose Game on the eshop? Just beat it and I had a real blast and a ton of laughs. It was a good game to play with a significant other.
Old 10-06-2019, 03:03 PM   #1934
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Short, but fun. Hopefully they come up with some DLC of a Canada Goose terrorizing a small prairie town...

And as far as DQ XI goes, I might pick it up when it gets discounted heavily, but I have a really bad habit of putting Dragon Quest games down after 10-15 hours and never picking them back up.

Also, with Trails of Cold Steel III coming in a few weeks, It would be a back burner title regardless.
Old 10-10-2019, 12:50 PM   #1935
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Looking for a new game for my wife to play on the Switch and not really sure what might work. She really liked Stardew Valley but has played it too many times and its lost a bit of its luster. I was looking in the store and Yonder looked like something that could be good (especially with no combat), but at $40 I'm not sure I want to commit because the open world concept is so new for her.

We tried Goose Game, but the mechanics are still a bit difficult for her and she gets frustrated with it - while some tasks are easier, there are a few that are tougher and require a little more coordination than she would like in a game. As you can probably tell, her experience with games is limited and likes slower paced games and don't require complicated moving/action mechanics.

Any thoughts?
Old 10-10-2019, 12:54 PM   #1936
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
Looking for a new game for my wife to play on the Switch and not really sure what might work. She really liked Stardew Valley but has played it too many times and its lost a bit of its luster. I was looking in the store and Yonder looked like something that could be good (especially with no combat), but at $40 I'm not sure I want to commit because the open world concept is so new for her.

We tried Goose Game, but the mechanics are still a bit difficult for her and she gets frustrated with it - while some tasks are easier, there are a few that are tougher and require a little more coordination than she would like in a game. As you can probably tell, her experience with games is limited and likes slower paced games and don't require complicated moving/action mechanics.

Any thoughts?
I would recommend Oxenfree or Night in the Woods
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2019, 02:58 PM   #1937
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Short, but fun. Hopefully they come up with some DLC of a Canada Goose terrorizing a small prairie town...

And as far as DQ XI goes, I might pick it up when it gets discounted heavily, but I have a really bad habit of putting Dragon Quest games down after 10-15 hours and never picking them back up.

Also, with Trails of Cold Steel III coming in a few weeks, It would be a back burner title regardless.
I honestly can't recommend it enough. I've played a lot of JRPGs over the years and this is one of the best ever. I can't remember the last time I was excited to play a game over 30 hours in just to see what would happen with the story and the characters (who are all excellent). Maybe The Witcher 3? Just some great twists and turns, great pacing, the battles are fun and not too complicated of systems... damn. It's probably my game of the year.

Get it for your wife, mrkajz44! Half joking, but if she's okay with heavy anime aesthetics she might like it.
Old 10-10-2019, 03:34 PM   #1938
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel like Link's Awakening is pretty simple to play from a mechanics perspective, same with Pokemon Let's Go series (which could double as a good bridge into the mainline game coming out too).

Slay The Spire has some fun strategy pieces too and is more of a card game. If she is a fan of board games this one could work.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 10-10-2019 at 03:36 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2019, 10:09 PM   #1939
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ring Fit Adventure is actually really fun.

I’ve never really been able to get into a routine of working out (Outside of just playing sports) but I’ve done this three straight days now:

The activities are simple enough to do while also being more intense then you’d expect.

I wasn’t going to purchase it but when I saw the reviews were pretty favourable I thought I’d give it a shot and happy I did so far.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2019, 07:28 AM   #1940
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice. I'll grab a copy when there are thousands of them on Kijiji!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post: