Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of the trade after a week of getting your head around it?
Love it, think Lucic is an upgrade 109 16.80%
Like it, clears some cap space even if Lucic is no better 197 30.35%
Indifferent, both teams getting a failed project 187 28.81%
Dislike it, Neal needed another year to bounce back 107 16.49%
Hate it, Neal will be better in Edmonton 49 7.55%
Voters: 649. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-10-2019, 09:59 AM   #2981
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Mark Stone is now the best player in the world???

How about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2019, 09:59 AM   #2982
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
James Neal is not worth an additional 15 points in the standings.
Looking at the two games in which he's scored and Edmonton won, can anyone honestly say that another player in his spot (say, Chiasson) would not have scored at least enough to get Edmonton the same Ws? As some have noted, Neal was essentially banging in rebounds or tipping shots. Anbother player there surely gets the same chances. I sure didn't expect a four goal game, but Edmonton wins that game with or without Neal IMO.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 10:00 AM   #2983
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Mark Stone is now the best player in the world???

How about that.
Yeah man, bingo just said as much here:

Quote:
Sidney Crosby and Mark Stone on two different sites led the league in WAR last year with numbers between 5.5 and 7

So that's 11 to 14 points and they're at the top.

James Neal is not worth an additional 15 points in the standings.
Oh, maybe he meant stone was only the second best player in the league. I guess that changes everything.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 10:04 AM   #2984
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Best player in the league was available at the deadline in a season where Calgary were strong cup contenders with a gaping hole on right wing which just happens to be the position the best player in the world played.

Very Laugh/Cry emotions.
For sure, he would have been a great add.

But haven't we heard rumblings that Stone wouldn't sign for the same deal in Calgary? If so it's a different equation than just assuming you could do what Vegas did straight up.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 10:05 AM   #2985
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

People talking #### about Chiasson but I think he played better for the Flames than Neal did
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2019, 10:06 AM   #2986
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah man, bingo just said as much here...

Oh, maybe he meant stone was only the second best player in the league. I guess that changes everything.
It's one measure of player quality. I am unaware that WAR is the definitive arbiter for determining the best players in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2019, 10:07 AM   #2987
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

But haven't we heard rumblings that Stone wouldn't sign for the same deal in Calgary? If so it's a different equation than just assuming you could do what Vegas did straight up.
yeah, we heard lots of water carrying from people connected to the flames about how and why the deal wouldn't go down after the flames walked away from the deadline with just Fantenberg.

But then, we also heard from Maloney that they went to bed the night before the deadline thinking they had a done deal, sooooo...
Old 10-10-2019, 10:09 AM   #2988
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Stone's deal is pretty rich as is IMO. Looking at the difference in Tkachuk v. Point which is likely due to taxes, he probably costs more. Like maybe $1.5 more.

See this article, which compares his take home to salaries in income tax states (I'm assuming Canadian taxes might be even more).

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ryanlak.../#3f1c6f50748c
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 10:10 AM   #2989
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is way OT but in retrospect, especially considering his injury in the offseason, you gotta make that stone deal every time.

I am also still saddened by that as I had been arguing for a mark stone deal for some time. It's done now and he signed long term in Vegas, no sense crying over spilled milk.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 10:10 AM   #2990
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
This is way OT but in retrospect, especially considering his injury in the offseason, you gotta make that stone deal every time.

I am also still saddened by that as I had been arguing for a mark stone deal for some time. It's done now and he signed long term in Vegas, no sense crying over spilled milk.
What about Laugh/Crying?
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2019, 10:14 AM   #2991
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I don’t think the Flames, given the cap situation, could have signed him for anything close to what Vegas did. We would have been paying for a pure rental. Looking at how the team played in the playoffs, one player would not have made a huge difference. I am glad the trade didn’t go down.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:19 AM   #2992
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

There must be a word for what happens when you really hope for something and then when it doesn't happen you are really glad it didn't happen.

Kinda like "experience", which is what you get when you didn't get what you really wanted...
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 10:24 AM   #2993
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post

You have a guy in Valimaki who plays a similar style to Gio, studying under Gio. Hard to give that up IMO. If you have a new Gio for the next 10 years, that's a bigger potential impact than Mark Stone.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 10:24 AM   #2994
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
yeah, we heard lots of water carrying from people connected to the flames about how and why the deal wouldn't go down after the flames walked away from the deadline with just Fantenberg.

But then, we also heard from Maloney that they went to bed the night before the deadline thinking they had a done deal, sooooo...
I think I heard it from Eastern media so not sure they were carrying water for a team 3500 km away.

Why so jaded man? Isn't it possible that Calgary couldn't get the same deal? It's Las Vegas vs Calgary for God's sake, it's almost a certainty the motivation to land in each market would be different.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:29 AM   #2995
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I think I heard it from Eastern media so not sure they were carrying water for a team 3500 km away.

Why so jaded man? Isn't it possible that Calgary couldn't get the same deal? It's Las Vegas vs Calgary for God's sake, it's almost a certainty the motivation to land in each market would be different.
So you're simultaneously telling me that not getting upset over losses is a sign i'm not a fan, but discussing missing out on one of the best players in the whole league in the teams best season in 30 years makes me jaded?
Old 10-10-2019, 10:34 AM   #2996
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So you're simultaneously telling me that not getting upset over losses is a sign i'm not a fan, but discussing missing out on one of the best players in the whole league in the teams best season in 30 years makes me jaded?
What he's saying is that you're basically the Randy Marsh of Calgarypuck.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:47 AM   #2997
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

How to Get From James Neal to Mark Stone in 3000 Easy Posts.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2019, 10:54 AM   #2998
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
You have a guy in Valimaki who plays a similar style to Gio, studying under Gio. Hard to give that up IMO. If you have a new Gio for the next 10 years, that's a bigger potential impact than Mark Stone.
Potential is hard- even without the injury sapping yet another crucial development period from the young lad, there was never a guarantee he would become Gio-like. He has looked good in limited time, but not a game changer. So he's a lottery ticket (albeit one with decent probability.)

On the other hand, you have Mark Stone, who is pretty much guaranteed to score 60+ points and ~30 goals while playing great D for the next 5 years. Has 6 points in 3 games this season already. That would have looked really great on this squad.

I agree it's hard to give up, but we're at the stage in our lifecycle where the team is on the cusp, and some extra juice could push us over. Add in our relative bounty of young d and i think you have to make the trade. It looks really like a missed opportunity now that we know Vali is injured and not contributing at all to this roster today.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 10:55 AM   #2999
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
No the jaded part comes in with the water carrying line.

And if you read my response from yesterday I said clearly I wasn't suggesting you're not a fan.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:13 AM   #3000
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
I don't know about that. We can argue Gio vs. Stone in impact, but potential Gio vs. Stone is a no brainer IMO.

Of course there were other parts of the trade.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post: