Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Old 10-08-2019, 02:45 PM   #1
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Blizzard bans player, confiscates prize money, for anti China comments

https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/8/2...sts-blitzchung

They even fired the 2 people who interviewed the guy. Unreal. The free market needs to crush these #######s (blizzard)

Quote:
A professional esports player has been fined his prize money and given a yearlong ban after he voiced support for Hong Kong's protesters during a postgame interview.

The Hong Kong-based player, known as Blitzchung, will be forced to forfeit his monetary prize and won't be able to compete for a year for making the remarks, the US-based video game giant Blizzard announced Tuesday. The two casters — esports commentators — who appeared alongside Blitzchung in the interview will also "not work with Blizzard anymore," according to the company.

The player, whose real name is Chung Ng Wai, was participating in the Hearthstone Grandmasters regular season, an esports tournament in which players play Hearthstone, the turn-based online card game developed by Blizzard.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2019, 02:49 PM   #2
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

I've been to China, it's not that bad, don't judge.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 02:53 PM   #3
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

The NBA and many other companies did it too. Everyone wants that sweet china money.

Quote:
The NBA Chooses China’s Money Over Hong Kong’s Human Rights
Daryl Morey is now being forced to apologize because he… supports Democracy?
Quote:
The league even has a presence in Xinjang, in the northwest of the country. It is the Chinese region where Slate reported last year the nation’s authorities were holding roughly one million Muslims, the Turkic-speaking minority called Uighurs, in concentration camps. The NBA has a different kind of camp there — one of its three national training camps — in Ürümqi, Xinjang’s capital.
https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...ockets-895706/

Quote:
After Mercedes-Benz innocuously quoted the Dalai Llama in a social media post last year, the auto company apologized for “wrong information” that “hurt the feelings of Chinese people”—language commonly used by Chinese officials to protest statements made by foreigners.
Quote:
Marriott has fired staff who expressed support for Tibet. Delta apologized to China last year after listing Taiwan and Tibet as separate countries on its website. Versace apologized to China last month over a T-shirt that suggested Hong Kong and Macau aren’t part of China. (Versace not only stopped making the shirt, it destroyed all the ones it hadn’t sold.)
https://thefederalist.com/2019/10/08...rall-to-china/

Nothing will come of this. Profits come before human rights and democracy.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 10-08-2019 at 02:58 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 02:54 PM   #4
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

The NBA is currently in a battle with them too with the commissioner defending the freedom of people to express what they want after China threw a tantrum for an executive tweeting support for Hong Kong.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1181497808563658752

As a result, China has just pulled preseason NBA games from TV.

https://apnews.com/cacbc722f6834e64814f82b14752682c

Quote:
“We’re strongly dissatisfied and oppose Adam Silver’s claim to support Morey’s right to freedom of expression,” CCTV said in a statement. “We believe that any remarks that challenge national sovereignty and social stability are not within the scope of freedom of speech.”
China is so fragile.

Last edited by nik-; 10-08-2019 at 02:56 PM.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 02:54 PM   #5
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

blizzard also forces taiwaneese players to compete under the country: chinese taipei, and bans the use of their flag
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 03:09 PM   #6
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

I really wish the NBA stood up to them. The NBA has a product that the Chinese people crave, and is something that China can't copy. They would get backlash internally from their citizens if they come down hard on the NBA.

They had a lot of leverage to stand up and do the right thing, and they failed horribly. It's really demoralizing and disappointing.

I don't give a full pass to Blizzard, but I understand how hard that situation is because if they came out against them, China would just ban Hearthstone, steal the code, and have a new functioning version by tomorrow.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 03:10 PM   #7
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
Case closed!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 03:27 PM   #8
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorium View Post
I really wish the NBA stood up to them. The NBA has a product that the Chinese people crave, and is something that China can't copy. They would get backlash internally from their citizens if they come down hard on the NBA.

They had a lot of leverage to stand up and do the right thing, and they failed horribly. It's really demoralizing and disappointing.

I don't give a full pass to Blizzard, but I understand how hard that situation is because if they came out against them, China would just ban Hearthstone, steal the code, and have a new functioning version by tomorrow.
They haven't "stood up to them" per se, but Silver isn't exactly backing down either. The next few days will be interesting, they've only pulled preseason games to this point. I mean James Harden has already cowered, but the NBA does try to be the vanguard as far as being progressive for sports leagues. Maybe they'll finally be the ones to say "enough".
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 03:55 PM   #9
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorium View Post

Chinese are also pretty touchy when it comes to criticising China. That whole nationalism thing.

The bottom line is the NBA loves money. Principles tend to go out the window when it can result in the loss of tens or hundreds of millions of dollars.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 03:58 PM   #10
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If you're being held hostage, blink twice
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2019, 04:08 PM   #11
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
+50 social credits to you. You can now open a bank account.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 04:23 PM   #12
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

China has spent the last 70 years trying to silence American corporations. All they had to this whole time was to present the potential for profits.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 04:26 PM   #13
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought Adam Silver towed the line really really well. As a protege of David Stern, I thought he'd be just as slimy. I guess not. For 95% of corporations out there, the CEO would have bent over backwards for that sweet sweet Chinese money. In this case, the commish made his point without explicitly saying it. He's simply saying in a pro-democratic society, we express opinions and that's fine. I think the way he did it was very fair. No side will back down - likely it'll just be hush hush and we won't hear much from either side that this ever happened. I would really really appreciate if a player did something in support of Hong Kong - that would really throw some chaos into the mix, though personally I don't like politics in sports or anything.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 05:04 PM   #14
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 05:52 PM   #15
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

As an act of revenge, I will seed all my Blizzard torrents until Hong Kong is free.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2019, 06:09 PM   #16
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just because of this I will not be purchasing Diablo Immortal.

And because it was a joke to begin with
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 06:41 PM   #17
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post

They even fired the 2 people who interviewed the guy. Unreal. The free market needs to crush these #######s (blizzard)
Holy cow.

We may have found a bipartisan issue in the US.

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:12 PM   #18
AnonymousStranger
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Daryl Morey has the freedom to say whatever he wants and China has the freedom to retaliate by cutting off their business done in China if they felt like what he said was inappropriate. I don't see the problem? There is no attack on the institution of "freedom of speech". China is not coercing the American government to do anything to their first amendment of the constitution, so I don't understand why freedom of speech is being talked about so much.
AnonymousStranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:16 PM   #19
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymousStranger View Post
Daryl Morey has the freedom to say whatever he wants and China has the freedom to retaliate by cutting off their business done in China if they felt like what he said was inappropriate. I don't see the problem? There is no attack on the institution of "freedom of speech". China is not coercing the American government to do anything to their first amendment of the constitution, so I don't understand why freedom of speech is being talked about so much.

You can't be this obtuse. China tramples "free speech" any time they can. The fact that whenever someone says something they don't like causes them to flex their financial muscle, thus affecting much more than just their own country, is reprehensible.

I mean, they won't even acknowledge Tibet as a separate entity.
Ped is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:21 PM   #20
AnonymousStranger
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
I mean, they won't even acknowledge Tibet as a separate entity.

Neither does any other country in the world.
AnonymousStranger is offline   Reply With Quote