Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-30-2019, 10:47 AM   #2441
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark2 View Post
I bought an acre of land and am building a custom home for myself. I am acting as general contractor, which is something that I have never done before. Been many bumps along the way but we are starting to make progress. The concrete forms for the basement walls of the house have been set-up and will be poured today. After which they will set-up for the walls of the detached garage and adjoining tunnel.

I always wanted a garage tunnel. Please please tell me you are putting it behind a secret bookshelf door. If you aren't this is the biggest missed opportunity of all time.

https://murphydoor.com/
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 11:14 AM   #2442
Ark2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
I always wanted a garage tunnel. Please please tell me you are putting it behind a secret bookshelf door. If you aren't this is the biggest missed opportunity of all time.

https://murphydoor.com/
LOL

That would be pretty cool! Might be kind of tricky though since the tunnel has steps leading down into it that start from inside the basement.
Ark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 09:06 AM   #2443
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone ever done a "permanent" LED rope light installation on their house? I need to get all new Christmas lights and I thought it might be nice in the long run to install rope lights under the soffit somewhere so I can leave them up all year long.

Am I dreaming or are they just going to degrade from the sun in a couple of years?
Any recommendations on where to buy rope lights? Canadian Tire, Home Depot etc seem overpriced but all the random Chinese manufactured ones online seem sketchy.
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 11:16 AM   #2444
Cflames_12.5
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I am looking to renovate my basement to have 3 rooms for my in-laws. Is there a max amount of rooms a house is allowed? Can anyone recommend anyone for the Reno?
Cflames_12.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 11:28 AM   #2445
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cflames_12.5 View Post
I am looking to renovate my basement to have 3 rooms for my in-laws. Is there a max amount of rooms a house is allowed? Can anyone recommend anyone for the Reno?
Are you thinking of making a larger basement into smaller rooms?

I'd think of re-sale prior to doing something like this.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 11:51 AM   #2446
Cflames_12.5
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Are you thinking of making a larger basement into smaller rooms?

I'd think of re-sale prior to doing something like this.
Yes I am. My basement already has one bedroom, I need 2 more to be able to accommodate my in-laws. I wanna make sure that its lawful to have a 6 bedroom house for the resale.
Cflames_12.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 12:04 PM   #2447
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

They all stay over at the same time? Do you live in hell?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2019, 12:05 PM   #2448
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes I am. My basement already has one bedroom, I need 2 more to be able to accommodate my in-laws. I wanna make sure that its lawful to have a 6 bedroom house for the resale.
I think the only requirement is around egress. I think each room would require an emergency exit sized window.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2019, 01:28 PM   #2449
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If they all fit code for bedrooms then sure. There may be code on if there is a max or not but I am not sure.

But you will get wrecked on re-sale value.
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2019, 01:36 PM   #2450
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the one thing to inquire about is the amount of window coverage you can have on each side of your house. I know there is a limit on how much window coverage you can have by code, especially when siding on to other houses. And you also have to beware of engineering requirements for concrete cut outs in your foundation. There has to be enough concrete to hold your house up so that dictates how many windows in the basement you can have and how close together they can be.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2019, 07:32 PM   #2451
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anybody tried the Rustoleum cabinet restorations or countertop restorations products? Wondering if they are worthwhile for a quick kitchen refresh or if it just looks trashy.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 10:01 PM   #2452
Travis Munroe
Realtor®

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Has anybody tried the Rustoleum cabinet restorations or countertop restorations products? Wondering if they are worthwhile for a quick kitchen refresh or if it just looks trashy.
It can look good if you do a good job. I have seen plenty of poor attempts which make it worse than if everything was left as is. I would suggest practicing on something before jumping right into it.

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Travis Munroe For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2019, 05:30 AM   #2453
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No limits to the number of bedrooms you can have, but as others have mentioned, each bedroom will need a window that can be used as a means of egress (I can't remember the size requirement off the top of my head).
If you don't have the windows already, it's probably going to cost a fortune to put them in. If that's the case, I would probably consider putting up demountable partitions so the rooms aren't permanent. No worries about resale that way (although it's kind of dangerous to not have proper exits).
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 09:00 AM   #2454
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jump to 2:57 for relevant discussion re:bedrooms

https://youtu.be/ypS_CKym5NQ?t=177

Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
V
Old 10-21-2019, 07:44 AM   #2455
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

How imperative is a AC unit cover for the winter?

The house I moved into in January didn't have one for it last winter (and I assume every winter before it). But I am wondering if I should go pick one up?
Old 10-21-2019, 09:04 AM   #2456
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

The house I moved into in January didn't have one for it last winter (and I assume every winter before it). But I am wondering if I should go pick one up?
It's a good idea even if you just put a heavy garbage bag or cheap tarp over it. The snow builds up inside and is pretty benign, until it starts to melt and freeze. The ice can damage parts.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 09:07 AM   #2457
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I cover mine and I flip the breaker off to it at the same time. That prevents me from running it with the cover on.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 03:50 PM   #2458
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:

Don't cover it. It's meant to get moisture inside (hell, you're supposed to spray it off with the hose in sprint to clean off the dust).

What you don't want is to trap moisture inside, which is what a bag/cover will do. Now you are at more risk of rust/mildew/mould/small animals etc.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 08:52 AM   #2459
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

HVAC guy that installed my AC said it was a nice thing to have, but in general a waste of money. He said if it really made me feel better, get one, but make sure allow the unit continued airflow. He said that the most common damage he's seen on AC units are people who somehow bypassed something and turned on the AC with the cover on.

Last edited by DoubleF; 10-22-2019 at 08:54 AM.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 02:01 PM   #2460
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
HVAC guy that installed my AC said it was a nice thing to have, but in general a waste of money. He said if it really made me feel better, get one, but make sure allow the unit continued airflow. He said that the most common damage he's seen on AC units are people who somehow bypassed something and turned on the AC with the cover on.
This, When I had mine installed I asked about buying the cover, and was told he would sell it to me if I really insisted, but they are designed to be in the elements, and 90% of repairs are because the homeowner forgot it was covered up and the unit turned on in the spring.
gasman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gasman For This Useful Post: