Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2014, 09:37 AM   #1
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default de Grood to be transferred to hospital for assessment

Quote:
bill kaufmann@SUNBillKaufmann18 mins
Accused in Brentwood mass slaying to be assessed at AB Hospital to determine criminal responsibility. Next court appearance Aug. 29
Quote:
bill kaufmann@SUNBillKaufmann18 mins
Prelim. Hearing on Brentwood mass slayings set for Mar. 2-13.
Quote:
Valerie Fortney@ValFortney20 mins
De Grood smiling in court. #yyc
Quote:
Nancy Hixt@NancyHixt22 mins
de Grood will be sent to Alberta Hospital Edmonton for 30 days to determine issue of not criminally responsible #yyc

Preliminary inquiry set for March 2-13/15 for de Grood. That will determine if there is enough evidence to stand trial #yyc

http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/de-grood-t...ment-1.1925378

Quote:
The man accused of stabbing five people to death in northwest Calgary this past April appeared in court on Tuesday morning.
Matthew de Grood appeared in person in the courtroom, with his defence counsel requesting he be transferred to Alberta Hospital in Edmonton to be assessed to see if he is not criminally responsible.

Read more: http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/de-grood-t...#ixzz38DDn4UT4
Isn't this the 2nd time he's been sent for assessment?

Last edited by Otto-matic; 07-22-2014 at 09:40 AM.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:47 AM   #2
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post

Isn't this the 2nd time he's been sent for assessment?
Yes, I believe so. I'm pretty sure he underwent assessment shortly after the arrest for 30 days and was deemed fit to stand trial.

I wonder why this is happening again?

Edit: May 22, was when he was determined to be fit to stand trial.
http://globalnews.ca/news/1346743/ac...pear-in-court/

But after reading a few things it sounds like he can still be assessed to be mentally ill and NCR.

Last edited by calgarygeologist; 07-22-2014 at 09:51 AM.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:49 AM   #3
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Alberta Hospital is, for all intents and purposes, a psychiatric hospital for long-term patients. Some of Alberta's most troubled patients are housed there.

I doubt he sees a normal jail cell.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:50 AM   #4
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nancy Hixt‏@NancyHixt first assessment was to determine if fit to stand trial. This is to determine if he was criminally responsible for the act
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:55 AM   #5
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I've always been a little bit off on the concept of not criminally responsible.

If the question is were they insane when they killed a bunch of people unprovoked. Then the answer is Yes, they killed a bunch of people unprovoked. I don't need to be a psychologist to see that.

How does that change the fact that they committed a crime. I don't think there is a single mass murderer that does not need both psychiatric help, and punishment that has a major impact on their life.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:36 PM   #6
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really hope this guy isn't back on the street within 5-10 years after being deemed not responsible followed by rehabilitated.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:45 PM   #7
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
I've always been a little bit off on the concept of not criminally responsible.

If the question is were they insane when they killed a bunch of people unprovoked. Then the answer is Yes, they killed a bunch of people unprovoked. I don't need to be a psychologist to see that.

How does that change the fact that they committed a crime. I don't think there is a single mass murderer that does not need both psychiatric help, and punishment that has a major impact on their life.
I'm pretty sure it comes down to the mental capacities. Whether he had a personal issue with the victims or whether he was perceiving reality to be much different than it is.

People with an illness such as schizophrenia can have delusions and hallucinations so severe they are unaware of what's going on. I have seen it with my own eyes where a families uncle thought the nephew was a demon and he tried attacking the demons. My prediction is he is deemed responsible though because he was methodic and devious over psychotic and maniacal.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 03:30 PM   #8
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Matthew de Grood, who killed five young people at a Calgary house party in 2014, has been granted unsupervised outings in Edmonton and area but remains a significant threat to public safety, the Alberta Review Board decided in an order released Tuesday.

Wow.

https://calgarysun.com/news/crime/ki...box=1569963394
Old 10-01-2019, 03:35 PM   #9
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's with the "wow"? Do you disagree he is a significant risk?

If he wasn't determined to be a significant risk, there would be no limits on him. He would simply be out living his life like all other innocent people.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 03:36 PM   #10
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

How does that make sense? Weird. If he's properly medicated and on timed outings he shouldn't be a threat to public safety at all, let alone a significant threat.

Paranoid Schizophrenia isn't like other violent offenders who can get mad or drunk and reoffend. If they're saying he's a significant public safety threat then that means they think the medication could cease to be effective at any moment? And if so he's clearly not ready.

Bizarre.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 03:40 PM   #11
jayswin

Exp:

Ah, I guess I get it now and agree with the release and the way they labelled it.

Quote:
Treatment team head Dr. Santoch Rai characterized the risk of de Grood experiencing a relapse that is violent in nature as “low.”
But he said it would likely be of a “high severity” if it did occur.
Basically the chances are miniscule but they have to admit that if lightening strike odds come to fruition and he broke that there could be a similar outcome.
Old 10-01-2019, 03:40 PM   #12
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Because the actual report calls him a low risk to relapse and a model patient with his schizophrenia in full remission. Significant threat just makes it so they can continue to impose strict conditions on him while they begin transferring him to a group home with full supervision.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2019, 03:43 PM   #13
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Really hope this guy isn't back on the street within 5-10 years after being deemed not responsible followed by rehabilitated.
Isn't that exactly how the process is supposed to play to out?

You're deemed Not Criminally Responsible and then they get to work on treatment and rehabilitation until they determine the time is right to transition the patient back to normal life, free of the desires of the citizens following the case?
Old 10-01-2019, 03:44 PM   #14
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Because the actual report calls him a low risk to relapse and a model patient with his schizophrenia in full remission. Significant threat just makes it so they can continue to impose strict conditions on him while they begin transferring him to a group home with full supervision.
Yeah, got that after, makes sense.
Old 10-01-2019, 03:44 PM   #15
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

"Wow"
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 03:57 PM   #16
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
What's with the "wow"? Do you disagree he is a significant risk?

If he wasn't determined to be a significant risk, there would be no limits on him. He would simply be out living his life like all other innocent people.
I have no idea if he is or isn't. I'm not a psychologist...are you?

I do know that if someone is deemed a significant risk by said doctors, they should not be out walking about the general public unsupervised, regardless of the chances being "low" and if he does re-offend it will be "high severity"...so yeah....and for your buddy woob too...wow.

5 years later and the families of the victims he murdered in cold blood have to see this guy walking about freely.

My sympathies to them. Just brutal
Old 10-01-2019, 04:01 PM   #17
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
I have no idea if he is or isn't. I'm not a psychologist...are you?

I do know that if someone is deemed a significant risk by said doctors, they should not be out walking about the general public unsupervised, regardless of the chances being "low" and if he does re-offend it will be "high severity"...so yeah....and for your buddy woob too...wow.
Funny because those very same doctors assessed him as a low risk to reoffend, called him a model patient, said his schizophrenia is in full remission and recommended that, among other conditions, he should be allowed to go unsupervised at the discretion of his team so he can start getting prepared to go to a group home at a future to-be-determined-date.

This is allowing him, on a good day, to grab a bag of chips from the grocery store down the street with permission from a doctor.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2019, 04:13 PM   #18
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Yeah i understand it thanks, but i entirely disagree with it. That OK with you?

He killed 5 people not even 6 years ago.

He is still a significant risk to the pubic. From those same doctors...but I guess that one is easy to ignore for you?

Why release him until it is certain that he wont relapse and go kill more people?

But yeah...him going for slurpees (and still having a chance to re-offend even if a low chance) is deemed to be more important than the effect it will have on the victims family and friends knowing this murderer is walking freely.

Makes perfect sense.
Old 10-01-2019, 04:13 PM   #19
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Yeah it's very much just a label to impose stricter conditions on him at a moment's notice. Not only that, he has to travel with an adult if he's leaving the Edmonton area, and he will be transitioned to a group home within the next year. He has also been having unsupervised time already on the Alberta Hospital grounds.

He will never fully be well, but with medication, management, and supervision he should be OK.

Think about all the folks walking our streets in Alberta with undiagnosed schizophrenia. de Grood is one of the few who are being put through the system and managed by some of Alberta's best physicians and psychiatrists. This process is very similar to that of Vincent Li and the Greyhound Bus incident. Unsupervised visits, group homes, and then eventually an absolute discharge.

I'm probably one of the few that believe schizophrenia creates victims on both sides. But it can be managed, to varying degrees.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2019, 04:13 PM   #20
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

This is brutal, just another piece of evidence that our country is descending into a backwards world of moral decay and corruption.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote