Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-03-2019, 12:04 PM   #3941
RatherDashing
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsplasticeraser View Post
I’m looking for some ideas for a couples break in early December?

Does anybody have a good suggestion for a relaxing 4-7 day holiday for a couple, leaving from YYC, ideally direct flight.

We thought about an all-inclusive, and that’s an option, but looking for an option with better food, nicer rooms and maybe some sort of wellness content.

Right now best option is wickaninnish in Tofino, but that drive can be terrible and that option may be sub optimal. We’ve also considered NYC, Sedona, San Fran, Paris, Maui, San Diego.

So key aspects are:
- very nice hotel
- relaxing environment (we like to walk, but we don’t want a ton of #### to go see)
- good food

Nice to haves
- direct flight (shorter the better)
- natural environment - either mountains or sea
- wellness options like workouts, yoga etc.
- not insanely expensive ($500/night for hotel is probably what we’re looking at)

Any suggestions (even if something like mexico that is really great) would be welcome.
Have you looked at this place?

https://www.kingfisherspa.com/

Direct flights into Comox, on the ocean etc. I don't know about the hotel itself though, as I haven't stayed there.
RatherDashing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RatherDashing For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2019, 12:53 PM   #3942
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

Quote:

Does anybody have a good suggestion for a relaxing 4-7 day holiday for a couple, leaving from YYC, ideally direct flight.

We thought about an all-inclusive, and that’s an option, but looking for an option with better food, nicer rooms and maybe some sort of wellness content.

Right now best option is wickaninnish in Tofino, but that drive can be terrible and that option may be sub optimal. We’ve also considered NYC, Sedona, San Fran, Paris, Maui, San Diego.

So key aspects are:
- very nice hotel
- relaxing environment (we like to walk, but we don’t want a ton of #### to go see)
- good food

Nice to haves
- not insanely expensive ($500/night for hotel is probably what we’re looking at)

Any suggestions (even if something like mexico that is really great) would be welcome.
We like the Grand Velas in Riviera Nayarit. It has great restarants and great service. Direct flight from Calgary. Escapes.ca has a week there at the start of December for about $3500 per person. It's worth it.

https://www.grandvelas.com/resorts/g...iviera-nayarit
prarieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 07:42 AM   #3943
marsplasticeraser
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by prarieboy View Post
We like the Grand Velas in Riviera Nayarit. It has great restarants and great service. Direct flight from Calgary. Escapes.ca has a week there at the start of December for about $3500 per person. It's worth it.

https://www.grandvelas.com/resorts/g...iviera-nayarit
That hotel has been on our shortlist for 10+ years. Maybe this is the year. Thanks for the suggestion.
marsplasticeraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 11:22 AM   #3944
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

Quote:
That hotel has been on our shortlist for 10+ years. Maybe this is the year. Thanks for the suggestion.
I love that place.

My son left his Flames hat in a cab when we went on a fishing charter one morning. When we returned we asked the Bellman about it. He asked us when we left, looked in a book and then placed a phone call. One minute later the cab Driver shows up with the hat. He tells the Bellman my wife said he could keep the hat. I told him this was impossible because it was my son's favotite hat.

The Bellman looks me square in the eys and says,

"His story doesn't matter, NOTHING goes missing from the Grand Velas"
prarieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 10:54 AM   #3945
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just curious on the oft-travelled if they've gone this method before: had a flight get cancelled from Paris to Calgary last week until the following day (after 3+ hours on the runway), due to an electrical issue, followed by a crew issue (aka no "act of God/nature" reason). Now that I'm home, I've gotten multiple reminder emails from TripCase saying I could be entitled up to $650 for the cancellation and should file the claim through them. Has anyone ever gone this route before and gone through them, or should I steer clear of this? Is this only if they didn't re-book us for a later flight or something?

Thanks!
Sainters7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 11:04 AM   #3946
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

I fly up to 4 segments a week and haven’t ever had that happen to me. So that sucks, I can’t imagine sitting on a runway for 4 hours.

My rule of thumb when it comes to flying is if someone offers you something free count your blessings, take it and carry on. I never look the airline gift horse in the mouth; they would charge you for air if they could.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tron_fdc For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2019, 11:15 AM   #3947
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh yeah dude it was something else..the best part was when they finally announced the cancellation and had to go back into the airport, we had to get back in a massively long customs line and go through customs again. Then another 2.5 hr long line after that just to get a 25€ food voucher and to be told we had to find our own accommodation for the evening but "keep your receipts"..which hasn't amounted to any reimbursement as of yet. T'was quite the day
Old 09-27-2019, 11:23 AM   #3948
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had some sketchball EU discount carrier cancel a flight on me once years ago. I filled out the form and sent it to them, and we each got a check for hundreds of euros about 2-3 months later.

We ended up taking an overnight train to Venice (where we were headed).

It wasn't a hard process, so I wouldn't be super inclined to pay someone to do it for me.

On the other hand, if they are pros at it and only get paid if you collect it might make sense.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2019, 11:27 AM   #3949
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Does anyone know if the cancellation of Hainan Airline's direct flights between Calgary and Beijing a temporary seasonal thing or permanent?
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 11:39 AM   #3950
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
I fly up to 4 segments a week and haven’t ever had that happen to me. So that sucks, I can’t imagine sitting on a runway for 4 hours.

My rule of thumb when it comes to flying is if someone offers you something free count your blessings, take it and carry on. I never look the airline gift horse in the mouth; they would charge you for air if they could.
Sitting on a runway for 4 hours would be very dangerous!
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 11:51 AM   #3951
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
I had some sketchball EU discount carrier cancel a flight on me once years ago. I filled out the form and sent it to them, and we each got a check for hundreds of euros about 2-3 months later.

We ended up taking an overnight train to Venice (where we were headed).

It wasn't a hard process, so I wouldn't be super inclined to pay someone to do it for me.

On the other hand, if they are pros at it and only get paid if you collect it might make sense.
Thanks man, yeah that's what I was wondering. Mine thankfully wasn't a sketchball one - though I did take a couple of those when bouncing around on my trip. Yeah I'll look into it myself then probably
Old 09-28-2019, 05:16 PM   #3952
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Just curious on the oft-travelled if they've gone this method before: had a flight get cancelled from Paris to Calgary last week until the following day (after 3+ hours on the runway), due to an electrical issue, followed by a crew issue (aka no "act of God/nature" reason). Now that I'm home, I've gotten multiple reminder emails from TripCase saying I could be entitled up to $650 for the cancellation and should file the claim through them. Has anyone ever gone this route before and gone through them, or should I steer clear of this? Is this only if they didn't re-book us for a later flight or something?

Thanks!
Europe was much better passenger protections than Canada, so you are definitely entitled to a significant amount of money for a delay of over 3 hours. This applies to European airlines, flying from anywhere (i.e. Canada to Europe would count) or other airlines departing from Europe (for example, WestJet or Air Canada).

Some airlines have an easy process and pay out quickly. Others don't. I've never been in a position to make a claim, so I can't say the best way to handle it. Air Passenger Rights (Canada) on Facebook is a great resource.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Amethyst For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2019, 06:10 PM   #3953
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

So key aspects are:
- very nice hotel
- good food

Nice to haves

Highly recommend San Diego - probably the best weather on your list (aside from Maui), wonderful beaches and lost of great walking.

Stay north side (Pacific Beach) - we enjoyed Pacific Terrace Hotel well enough (room wasn't particularly memorable, but location superb), pretty sure we found a good deal on hotels.ca.

La Jolla [LA HOY-A] is a lovely bike ride, or uber to Torrey Pines (natural area and/or the golf course if you are so inclined). You could also consider staying in La Jolla, but you'd probably get better value in Pac Beach and go up for dinner once or twice.

We haven't really explored much of downtown/gaslamp quarter, but certainly worth a visit, or consider it as your base.

Lots of other great trails and hiking nearby + Balboa Park + the zoo.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2019, 07:21 PM   #3954
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Highly recommend San Diego - probably the best weather on your list (aside from Maui), wonderful beaches and lost of great walking.

Stay north side (Pacific Beach) - we enjoyed Pacific Terrace Hotel well enough (room wasn't particularly memorable, but location superb), pretty sure we found a good deal on hotels.ca.

La Jolla [LA HOY-A] is a lovely bike ride, or uber to Torrey Pines (natural area and/or the golf course if you are so inclined). You could also consider staying in La Jolla, but you'd probably get better value in Pac Beach and go up for dinner once or twice.

We haven't really explored much of downtown/gaslamp quarter, but certainly worth a visit, or consider it as your base.

Lots of other great trails and hiking nearby + Balboa Park + the zoo.
Torrey Pines and Del Mar are fantastic.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny199r For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2019, 01:16 PM   #3955
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe Chris or somebody can explain this. I am interested in booking a flight with AC from YYC to Dublin for spring break. If I enter the information on Google or Skyscanner or Expedia or even Air Canada's website for 1 passenger, I get $676 return. This is fine, and I add 2 adults it doubles to $1352, 3 adults is $2028. Now I add the child (2-12) and the total price jumps up to $3084 and changes the flight route. If I change the child to an adult the fare goes back to normal and the total price is $2702 and take the original route.

So why is the child costing $300 more than an adult and changing the route? I can book on AC directly, but the price is now $801 / person. If I go to Skyscanner or Expedia it is $673 and I can then go have it direct me to AC with that price for booking, but I have a promo code that I can't enter if I am re-directed.

This is basically Calgary to Dublin from March 21 to April 2.

What's going on with this?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 09:23 AM   #3956
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

New route: Westjet announces non-stop flights from Calgary to Rome, Italy on their 787 Dreamliner.

They are seasonal flights operating Thu/Fri/Sat to Fri/Sat/Sun between May and October. (Sat to Sun in May).

Prices aren't too exciting at $1400+ roundtrip.

Google Flights search: (non-stop from Calgary to Rome)

https://www.google.ca/flights#flt=/m...s:0*0;sd:1;t:f

-

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
cmyden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cmyden For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2019, 09:49 AM   #3957
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Looking for a Family Vacation - preferably to Europe.

My wife and I have two young boys - ages 5 and 6. We want to go Europe for two weeks - some time in the next 6 months. Our schedules are extremely flexible.

We are envisioning some kind of package tour. That fact the we are bringing our boys means I don't want to worry about anything. Just go where I'm told, when I'm told.

Perhaps a European train tour?

Here's my question - does anyone have a good link/resource for package tour deals. Like I said, our schedules are pretty flexible, so if a smokin deal came up that required us to book and leave within two weeks, we'd likely be able to make it happen.

PS. We'd be leaving out of Toronto, if that makes any difference.

Thanks!
Old 10-30-2019, 10:14 AM   #3958
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyden View Post
New route: Westjet announces non-stop flights from Calgary to Rome, Italy on their 787 Dreamliner.

They are seasonal flights operating Thu/Fri/Sat to Fri/Sat/Sun between May and October. (Sat to Sun in May).

Prices aren't too exciting at $1400+ roundtrip.

Google Flights search: (non-stop from Calgary to Rome)

https://www.google.ca/flights#flt=/m...s:0*0;sd:1;t:f

-

I am so happy that this is a now a flight from Calgary. To get to Rome otherwise is a tiring expedition no matter the route, so this is almost worth it to pay the difference just to reduce time / other indirect travel costs.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 10:20 AM   #3959
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
Does anyone know if the cancellation of Hainan Airline's direct flights between Calgary and Beijing a temporary seasonal thing or permanent?
It's a seasonal suspension. Should be back after the winter schedule.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 12:25 PM   #3960
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why doesn't Flair show up on any of the flight search websites as an option for a flight leg, even when separate tickets are selected? A lot of flights orginating out of YVR to Asia are pretty cheap compared to YYC, and if you use Flair to get to YVR, especially when Flair has $138 return flights.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote