Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-10-2019, 09:16 PM   #1
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Vancouver customs question

Landing in YVR from the US with my 2 kids. I have a Canadian passport, and they have American passports. The Canadian Customs in that airport splits into a huge line for foreigners, and usually a manageable line for the Canadian passport holders. Which line do we go in? I'm trying to figure out if we are going to be able to get to our float plane in YVR South on time to get to the island.

A pretty specific question, I know. Hopefully someone has some insight.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 10:12 PM   #2
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well if they are under 18 they should accompany you into the Canadian passport line, right.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2019, 11:33 PM   #3
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

they have very pleasant guides at the passport line up, they will tell you, neither line is dreadful, I have done both over the years, they are right next to each other so assuming the kids are not toddlers tyou will be able to see each other through the whole process and not be more than a few feet apart
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 11:51 PM   #4
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

When did you last go through customs here?
They installed electronic declaration machines about 2 years ago and things move a lot faster now.
Even if you have to go to the US side, it seems to go pretty smooth now.

Maybe also check if any large Asian flights arrive around the same time cause that will probably effect your wait time.
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 06:21 AM   #5
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been twice by myself in the last couple months, and the non-Canadian passport line has looked very long both times with about 40-50 switchbacks of people the first time on a long weekend and about 30 the other time. The Canadian line was about an hour and a half the first time and 20 minutes the second time. The international line looks about 3-4 times as long. I don't think they had the electronic passport things on the international side if I remember right.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:23 AM   #6
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Well if they are under 18 they should accompany you into the Canadian passport line, right.
Thanks. I am hoping that's the case. I am leaving myself about 2 hours to get to YVR south.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:58 AM   #7
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

My wife, who was American until recently, always accompanied me in the Canada line. We have done this in Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto and Montreal with no issues. We have never had to separate.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Boblobla For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2019, 07:49 AM   #8
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

anchor babies?
Old 09-11-2019, 11:29 AM   #9
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

In the US many places allow Canadians to use the US passport holders line, does the opposite hold true in Canada?
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 11:45 AM   #10
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
In the US many places allow Canadians to use the US passport holders line, does the opposite hold true in Canada?
For customs/entry purposes, isn't it mainly based on the guardianship and residing address? I would believe the opposite is true as well. However, I think it has to go based on the individual in charge.

So for instance, since OP is a Canadian citizen and Canadian document holder, he can go in that line with his kids in tow. But I don't think he can technically do the opposite in the US where he'd go in the US line with his kids as US document holders (although sometimes they begrudgingly do it anyways).

In Hong Kong for instance (I am a PR there), I can go through the PR/Citizen entry line with my wife in tow (Canadian passport, no HK PR) and bypass the stupidly long lineup for international document entry (some times literally 10-20 times longer). My friend did the same with her spouse in the Macau line in Macau as well.

Last edited by DoubleF; 09-11-2019 at 11:47 AM.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 12:10 PM   #11
hockeycop
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Assuming they are your biological kids and you were a Canadian citizen before their birth:

Your kids are Canadian citizens regardless of what passport they are travelling on. They should use the Canadian citizen line with you.
hockeycop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 12:38 PM   #12
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
I've been twice by myself in the last couple months, and the non-Canadian passport line has looked very long both times with about 40-50 switchbacks of people the first time on a long weekend and about 30 the other time. The Canadian line was about an hour and a half the first time and 20 minutes the second time. The international line looks about 3-4 times as long. I don't think they had the electronic passport things on the international side if I remember right.
I've gone through YVR on a UK passport for 30 years and its never taken me more than 15 or 20 minutes.

Getting on the plane takes ages but getting off was nothing
Old 09-11-2019, 06:07 PM   #13
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
You should be fine.
Sounds like you've had some bad luck but it's not usually anywhere near this long.
I can't remember the last time I got through customs and my bag was even on the carousel; I'm always there before that even starts happening.

Also choose seats as close to the front of the plane as possible so you get there quicker too.
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2019, 08:22 PM   #14
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
You should be fine.
Sounds like you've had some bad luck but it's not usually anywhere near this long.
I can't remember the last time I got through customs and my bag was even on the carousel; I'm always there before that even starts happening.

Also choose seats as close to the front of the plane as possible so you get there quicker too.
same here, I have never got to the luggage area after my bags flying from the UK, I am always left waiting 10 minutes or so to get my bags, from my experience the waiting for the bags part is the holdup.