Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2019, 10:42 PM   #481
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I don't think analytics would say go for it there, 4th and 8 with the boundary fully in play has to be a low percentage play, maybe 1 in 6.
That's not how it works though. You have to look at win expectancy. Failing on 4th down and kicking the FG probably had about the same win expectancy.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2019, 10:56 PM   #482
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I don't think analytics would say go for it there, 4th and 8 with the boundary fully in play has to be a low percentage play, maybe 1 in 6.
But look at field position
Old 09-09-2019, 11:02 PM   #483
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
That's not how it works though. You have to look at win expectancy. Failing on 4th down and kicking the FG probably had about the same win expectancy.
Win expectancy isn't going to change appreciably going for it because it's so low percentage and there was still 25 minutes left at that point, you're going to get four more possessions minimum. Kicking the FG down 21-6 on 4th and 9 is a much worse decision because of the time factor.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:13 PM   #484
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great game by Carr and the Raiders...look to have a couple stars in the making from this past draft
Old 09-09-2019, 11:15 PM   #485
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

So Elway pretty much has to be on the hotseat at this point, right? I know it's only week 1 but that roster looks to have a lot of holes on it and Fangio looked very much like a DC playing the role of HC.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:19 PM   #486
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Great game by Carr and the Raiders...look to have a couple stars in the making from this past draft
It's week one so you don't want to get ahead of yourself but all three of the 1st rounders made their mark and the offensive line didn't allow Chubb or Miller a sniff of Carr. The win is sweet after all of the AB crap but the reality is that the Broncos are not a good football team and next week they face a really good team so hopefully they can at least hang with the Chiefs like they did last year in Oakland.

LOL at Elway on the sideline. Year after year he just keeps building mediocrity. At least the Raiders are getting better with young players. The Broncos are getting older and worse. They are the real train wreck of the AFC West as they are actually trying to win.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 09-09-2019 at 11:21 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2019, 11:25 PM   #487
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
It's week one so you don't want to get ahead of yourself but all three of the 1st rounders made their mark and the offensive line didn't allow Chubb or Miller a sniff of Carr. The win is sweet after all of the AB crap but the reality is that the Broncos are not a good football team and next week they face a really good team so hopefully they can at least hang with the Chiefs like they did last year in Oakland.

LOL at Elway on the sideline. Year after year he just keeps building mediocrity. At least the Raiders are getting better with young players. The Broncos are getting older and worse. They are the real train wreck of the AFC West as they are actually trying to win.
I know...still very likely a LONG season but its hard not to get excited about the best rookie RB debut in nearly 20 years statistically.

Despite all the haters the Raiders are headed in the right direction and will be able to attract FA's to Vegas IMO. Not wearing shades yet but the future looks pretty bright.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:43 PM   #488
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
I know...still very likely a LONG season but its hard not to get excited about the best rookie RB debut in nearly 20 years statistically.

Despite all the haters the Raiders are headed in the right direction and will be able to attract FA's to Vegas IMO. Not wearing shades yet but the future looks pretty bright.
Gruden just needs to stay clear of the divas like Me-shawn and AB as I like what Mayock has done with the roster as 7 players picked in the 2019 draft played and contributed tonight.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2019, 12:01 AM   #489
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Gruden just needs to stay clear of the divas like Me-shawn and AB as I like what Mayock has done with the roster as 7 players picked in the 2019 draft played and contributed tonight.
Yeah, hopefully they won't be so desperate when they are playing in a city where guys will want to play in a brand new stadium...Step up from Oakland as good as the fans are.

Also, Jacobs is now part of the return for Mack...people can stop acting like they gave him away for nothing. Over 100 yards and 2 TDs in NFL debut
Old 09-10-2019, 06:55 AM   #490
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

The Raiders offensive line looked really good in the bits of the game that I was able to catch. Any team that can protect the QB like that will move the ball on offence.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:11 AM   #491
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Last NFL Monday nighter on a baseball dirt? My guess is yes.

Trying to recall the other grass stadiums (old turf stadiums like 3 Rivers and Cincy and Kingdome covered up the dirt around the bases) that did baseball and NFL.
Rams when they played in Anaheim, Chargers at Jack Murphy.
The Chiefs and Raiders game this Sunday will likely be the last NFL game ever played on a baseball infield. Miami at one point also shared the stadium too. But with the Raiders out of town for 6 weeks after this it would take a World series run by the A's to need to keep the infield that long.

I saw a thing about how with the growth of the NFL once the Raiders move all teams will have their own stadium. Back in the early 70's the cookie cutter multi purpose stadium was used in Pittsburgh, Cincinatti, Philiadelphia, St.Louis to name a few. Kansas City built two separate stadiums beside each other. Those other ones have all since shut down while the Stadiums in KC are still in use.
It would be interesting to see what cost less over a 50 year period of time. Build tear down rebuild multiple new stadiums. Or build two stadiums plus all the upkeep and renos on the old ones in KC.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:16 AM   #492
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Holy are the Lions dumb. Why try from your own 5 with 59 seconds left. Take the tie. That was almost a disaster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
You cannot win it from there. Only can lose it.
Girlysports, not picking on you but this is probably my biggest turnoff in regards to the NFL. The prevailing attitude of teams to play not to lose rather than play to win. The Lions are probably not going anywhere and it's the first game of the season. There is zero reason to worry about losing this game but a win might make a huge difference. You play to win. This league is absolutely risk adverse in pretty much every form.

Case in point. BYU-Tennessee this past weekend. BYU down by 3, 31 seconds left and they are on their own 8. Tennessee has a 99.6% of winning the game at this point. They came back to kick the tying FG and then win in OT. BYU was down at this point and had to play to score but it shows it can and does happen.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 09:49 AM   #493
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Girlysports, not picking on you but this is probably my biggest turnoff in regards to the NFL. The prevailing attitude of teams to play not to lose rather than play to win. The Lions are probably not going anywhere and it's the first game of the season. There is zero reason to worry about losing this game but a win might make a huge difference. You play to win. This league is absolutely risk adverse in pretty much every form.

Case in point. BYU-Tennessee this past weekend. BYU down by 3, 31 seconds left and they are on their own 8. Tennessee has a 99.6% of winning the game at this point. They came back to kick the tying FG and then win in OT. BYU was down at this point and had to play to score but it shows it can and does happen.
This is literally every north american professional sport. Teams play not to lose.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 10:15 AM   #494
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

The NFL is more fun when the Raiders are good. Add Las Vegas to the mix, even better.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2019, 11:40 AM   #495
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
This is literally every north american professional sport. Teams play not to lose.
Sadly that is true. CFL maybe less so than the others but I won't disagree with your point. Which is part of the reason why college football is my favorite sport, hands down. Junior hockey isn't far behind.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:13 PM   #496
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
That was on display last night in the first game with both teams taking turns playing prevent to win on their final defensive drives. Raiders also went conservative in the 2nd half making the game closer than it should have been. It's just ingrained into coach's heads to play the percentages but IMO teams should stick to playing the scheme that got them to the point in the game they were in position to win. Prevent defense only works if your opponent can't execute the simplest of passing plays and even bad teams can do that in this day and age.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:33 PM   #497
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That was on display last night in the first game with both teams taking turns playing prevent to win on their final defensive drives. Raiders also went conservative in the 2nd half making the game closer than it should have been. It's just ingrained into coach's heads to play the percentages but IMO teams should stick to playing the scheme that got them to the point in the game they were in position to win. Prevent defense only works if your opponent can't execute the simplest of passing plays and even bad teams can do that in this day and age.
IMO coaches do it because it's harder to blame them for a negative outcome when they made the 'safe/right' call and at the end of the day it's all about job security.

Play to win and something goes sideways? Blame the coach for poor play calling.

Pay it safe and something goes sideways? Blame the players because they did not execute properly.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2019, 01:02 PM   #498
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh boy, here we go again.

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/...ort-roster-cox

Quote:
Philadelphia Eagles defensive tackle Malik Jackson suffered a Lisfranc injury and will miss the rest of the 2019 NFL season, according to a report from NFL insiders Mike Garafolo and Ian Rapoport.
Old 09-10-2019, 02:44 PM   #499
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sadly missed the Saints-Texans MNF game as I'm currently in a non-DAZN, non-American football interested country, and kickoff was 2:10am local (never thought I'd see the day when I was pining for DAZN). Caught the tail end via Twitter updates, and just watched an extended 15 minute highlight package of it. Insanity!! Can't wait to watch it on PVR once I'm back, sounds like a classic.

Sounds like same old Saints secondary in crunch time combined with Watson looking dynamic, Lutz being his usual clutch self (thank you again for that gem, John Harbaugh), and Ramczyk locking down JJ Watt. So happy the Niners stole Reuben Foster from the Saints literally mid-phone call so Ram ended up in NOLA..what a stud.

Last edited by Sainters7; 09-10-2019 at 02:54 PM.
Sainters7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 03:48 PM   #500
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

So now Gronk is blowing up twitter after posting "Coming back boys! " and the Patriots just before that released a player to open a roster spot. Not shocking at all.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote