Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 01:56 PM   #4661
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Called it - she's on Tonight Show this evening:

https://www.nbc.com/the-tonight-show...31c79505174f7f
Old 09-09-2019, 02:07 PM   #4662
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder what the RPM's are, but this is pretty interesting...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1170828027900678144
Old 09-09-2019, 03:59 PM   #4663
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post

It's a good thing I didn't respond to your post with "not a chance" like I was going to, then.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:39 PM   #4664
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1171163574611402755
Old 09-09-2019, 08:13 PM   #4665
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

https://www.sportingnews.com/ca/tenn...v1cyclxxjvxjne

Quote:

"Again, I think Bianca obviously played well. I think her returns make me play better and puts pressure on my serve. At the same time it's inexcusable for me to play at that level."

"I honestly don't think Serena showed up. I have to kind of figure out how to get her to show up in grand slam finals."
It’s not the tantrum from the Osaka loss, but it comes across a touch less than respectful of Bianca. (“Yeah she beat me, but I wasn’t playing well”)

I think the Serena she is looking for is the one who is able to overpower her opponent, ignoring that there are two people on the court, and Bianca was having none of that. Bianca was fearless, went toe to toe with her, and had her hitting from her back foot a lot more often than she is used to.

The stats above put Serena and Bianca hitting at the same speeds as Nadal and Medvedev.

Maybe it’s just the aging warrior type, having trouble coming to terms with the fact that she can’t just dominate this new kid at will (when really, maybe it’s not as much her age as it is her quality of opponent)

Anyways, I thought it was interesting. Not interested to say she played well and just got beaten
Old 09-09-2019, 08:44 PM   #4666
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

But Serena Williams is like that though even in her younger days. She never ever give credit to her opponents, every time she lost was because she didn't play well. That's part of the reason I dislike her.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:36 AM   #4667
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

I watched this match last night and Leylah is an amazing player for just turning 17 a few days ago, I'd say the biggest weakness in her game right now is her first serve, she needs to get more pop on the ball, her serving overall is quite good, just needs more oomph but that will come with time. Ground strokes are solid on both sides (her forehand is already a big weapon) and she covers the court well. Definitely somebody to keep an eye on going forward.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1171389417497317377
Old 09-10-2019, 08:58 AM   #4668
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure if a bunch of guys turned Johnny Mac down, but this year's Laver Cup is going to be Team Europe vs. Team North America plus Nick Kyrgios.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1171302943221604352
Old 09-10-2019, 09:31 AM   #4669
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Serena could certainly choose her word differently, but she is not wrong. She did play terribly until that mini comeback. First serve % of 43%, some big double faults and some very sloppy groundstrokes.

That doesn't take anything away from Bianca's accomplishment, who was just relentless and that's why the result was so lopsided. Serena playing at that level got crushed.
Old 09-10-2019, 10:01 AM   #4670
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
Not sure if a bunch of guys turned Johnny Mac down, but this year's Laver Cup is going to be Team Europe vs. Team North America plus Nick Kyrgios.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1171302943221604352
Word is that Nishikori and FAA both turned him down to instead get over for the Asian swing.

It's a bit disappointing to see given an event like this needs full buy in to succeed long term. I get FAA skipping as he's got a lot to work on and needs points, money etc. Nishikori skipping is quite inexcusable considering he's apparently healthy and wouldn't miss anything but small 250 events that he wouldn't play in anyway.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 09-10-2019 at 10:03 AM.
Old 09-10-2019, 10:02 AM   #4671
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Serena could certainly choose her word differently, but she is not wrong. She did play terribly until that mini comeback. First serve % of 43%, some big double faults and some very sloppy groundstrokes.

That doesn't take anything away from Bianca's accomplishment, who was just relentless and that's why the result was so lopsided. Serena playing at that level got crushed.
Exactly. I am no fan of Serena's, but if she had played the final the way she did her match against Svitolina, that could have gone very differently. Part of it is Bianca not folding, but a lot of it is just Serena playing poorly, for her. You can blame that on the pressure of the final or whatever you like, and it doesn't take away from how Bianca played because you can only play the person in front of you, but she's not wrong.

This however is very wrong:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
The stats above put Serena and Bianca hitting at the same speeds as Nadal and Medvedev.
The topspin speed was about the same. Regardless, that does not mean the women were hitting the ball at the same speeds as the men. They're not. The AO actually did a study, and the only WTA player whose forehand compared to the men's in terms of average speed was Madison Keys, and she was a massive outlier (like 5mph faster than the 2nd place player).
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 09-10-2019 at 10:11 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2019, 10:09 AM   #4672
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
Word is that Nishikori and FAA both turned him down to instead get over for the Asian swing.

It's a bit disappointing to see given an event like this needs full buy in to succeed long term. I get FAA skipping as he's got a lot to work on and needs points, money etc. Nishikori skipping is quite inexcusable considering he's apparently healthy and wouldn't miss anything but small 250 events that he wouldn't play in anyway.
I don't know, Nishikori's absence is very understandable to me, those tourneys in Asia are a big deal for him (especially the Rakuten Japan Open). I guess McEnroe wants Sock for doubles, but to have both Sock and Fritz when you could have had guys like Tiafoe, Schwartzman, and Garin instead is a head-scratcher to me.
Old 09-10-2019, 10:09 AM   #4673
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The funny thing about tennis is that yes you can play badly, but so much of your game and execution relies on what is going on across the net. To not fully acknowledge that her opponent is a main reason behind the poor play is just weak. Her 43% first serve rate is partly on her and partly on the fact that she was forcing bigger serves into tighter, riskier spaces to try and keep Bianca on the ropes.

Say you played badly, but you better be sure to say you played badly because of my opponents game when it is so glaringly obvious.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 09-10-2019 at 10:16 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hot_Flatus For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2019, 10:15 AM   #4674
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
I don't know, Nishikori's absence is very understandable to me, those tourneys in Asia are a big deal for him (especially the Rakuten Japan Open). I guess McEnroe wants Sock for doubles, but to have both Sock and Fritz when you could have had guys like Tiafoe, Schwartzman, and Garin instead is a head-scratcher to me.
Sock I get from a doubles perspective, which McEnroe alluded to already. I could be wrong but I don't think any of those three (Schwartzman, Garin and Tiafoe) are known to be even casual doubles participants. Fritz is completely off the map but must have been due to further rejections from at least one of the three you mentioned who are certainly all a better choice.

I think Nishikori would have been fine with 8 days off in between the Rakuten open and Laver cup. He's certainly traveled further in fewer days to make events work before and I'm sure a few of these Laver cup guys will be playing in those tournaments as well.
Old 09-10-2019, 10:49 AM   #4675
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Given how packed the tennis schedule already is, I'm not sure what they were expecting in adding yet another team tournament.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:06 AM   #4676
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post

Who's this Drake fella?

https://twitter.com/user/status/1171404292978302977
Old 09-10-2019, 01:27 PM   #4677
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Laver Cup cannot be taken seriously if McEnroe keeps picking his buddies.

Like Gary Player always picking his buddies for Presidents Cup.

Old 09-11-2019, 08:18 AM   #4678
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bianca is back in Toronto today and a presser is scheduled...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1171784439879409664
Old 09-11-2019, 08:55 AM   #4679
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
The funny thing about tennis is that yes you can play badly, but so much of your game and execution relies on what is going on across the net. To not fully acknowledge that her opponent is a main reason behind the poor play is just weak. Her 43% first serve rate is partly on her and partly on the fact that she was forcing bigger serves into tighter, riskier spaces to try and keep Bianca on the ropes.

Say you played badly, but you better be sure to say you played badly because of my opponents game when it is so glaringly obvious.
That is pretty darn close to what she said.

"Again, I think Bianca obviously played well. I think her returns make me play better and puts pressure on my serve. At the same time it's inexcusable for me to play at that level."

I think parsing her words is a little unfair to Williams and betrays the fact that those who do it just don't like her in the first place.

Show me a losing team or player who doesn't take some responsibility for their own play, saying they didn't play as well as they should have. After all, this wasn't some epic three setter where both players were at the very top of their game.

I wish as fans we could just celebrate Bianca's accomplishment and leave it at that. The Canadian won, we don't need lavish praise from the loser to make it any better.
Old 09-11-2019, 11:18 AM   #4680
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I wish as fans we could just celebrate Bianca's accomplishment and leave it at that. The Canadian won, we don't need lavish praise from the loser to make it any better.
Over the years, I've just come to terms with that's how Serena is, and that's her mentality. I admire her achievements, but humility is not her strong suit.

I'm with you. Bianca is my focus, as is all Canadian tennis. This weekend was a fantastic payoff. It's fun to ride this wave and see her everywhere.
Closed Thread