Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-07-2019, 10:39 PM   #1
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default The Richard Cup -- A 3 on 3 Hockey Championship Proposal

Ok, it’s the dog days of summer, so I thought I’d throw out an idea that’s been percolating in my head for the last few years and see what people think. A post in another thread got me thinking about it again, so here it is, the Richard Cup 3 on 3 Hockey Championship!

Basically, I propose that the NHL eliminate the All Star Game and the World Cup, and replace them with an annual 3 on 3 championship tournament, with all 32 NHL teams represented.

This double knock out tournament would take place over the first 10 days of the current training camp period and would feature 11 veteran players from each NHL team (9 skaters, 2 goalies). Basically overlapping with rookie camp and a few days of main camp. Because it’s a double knock out tourney, only a few teams would have players miss any of main camp, as most teams will be out in the first 6 days anyway.

I propose double knock out, because all games are either relegation or elimination games, and 32 teams is close to perfect for double knock out. I envision each game being two 10 minute periods, with sudden death overtime if needed. Ice is cleaned between each game, and thoroughly scraped between periods. Time between games should be similar to the time between periods in an NHL game.

There would be four host cities, two in the East and two in the West. Preferably cities close to each other geographically, so something like Vancouver-Seattle in the West and Toronto-Detroit in the East. Each conference would have a primary host and a secondary one, with the final three days of games being in held in just one of the primary host cities.

Each host city would start with the host team, and 7 random teams from their conference. The teams could also be seeded after the host team, but random is kind of fun. The first round matchups would also be random.

Here is how things would play out from there:

Spoiler!

Ok, that’s most of proposal in a (large) nutshell. The NHL gets 18 ticketed events to sell and lots of live action airtime for its broadcast partners. There is no need to extend the NHL season (in fact it’s shortened slightly with no All-Star break). For NHL vets, they get to skip the part of training camp where a bunch of rookies are running around trying to make a name for themselves. The early preseason games can probably run as usual in all but the primary host cities, and those usually feature very few of the star vets anyway. Only six teams miss more than a week of camp, and at most I would say the last two teams could miss 12 days (10 for the Richard Cup, a day after to travel and one day of rest) before joining main camp. All revenue would of course go into HRR, raising player salaries even for the players who don’t get to go.

A few more thoughts:
Spoiler!

I probably forgot some stuff, and I’m sure there are fans of the World Cup and best on best tournaments like that who will hate this, but I think it’s a fun idea.

TLDR; An Annual 3 on 3 hockey championships made up of the best players from all the NHL teams would be fun, and could replace the All Star Game and the weird every so often World Cups. It would overlap with the first part of training camp, so it wouldn’t impact the season length.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mikephoen For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2019, 11:31 PM   #2
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meh

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 11:37 PM   #3
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

the dick cup?
Old 09-07-2019, 11:50 PM   #4
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

The Dangler Cup.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2019, 05:50 AM   #5
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Really well thought out post and the type of tourney I could get excited about. A few considerations:

1. 11 games is too much. Most veterans currently play 2-4 preseason games. They also need to connect with their group and get ready for the season. Maybe change it to single elimination or single elimination after day 1.

2. Injuries may be a consideration for teams.

3. I am not sure you need PS instead of Penalties. I would also say that drastic changes like goalie without a stick is not required. Straight to the shootout. This is a gimmick tournament for purists anyways...so might as well maximize entertainment for those new to the sport.

4. I do think this format would be a good entry point for people new to the sport.

I think people would watch. 3 on 3 has high entertainment value for non purists and it develops the NHLs gambling stream which looks to be getting a lot of attention.
Old 09-08-2019, 08:17 AM   #6
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkflames View Post
Really well thought out post and the type of tourney I could get excited about. A few considerations:

1. 11 games is too much. Most veterans currently play 2-4 preseason games. They also need to connect with their group and get ready for the season. Maybe change it to single elimination or single elimination after day 1.

2. Injuries may be a consideration for teams.

3. I am not sure you need PS instead of Penalties. I would also say that drastic changes like goalie without a stick is not required. Straight to the shootout. This is a gimmick tournament for purists anyways...so might as well maximize entertainment for those new to the sport.

4. I do think this format would be a good entry point for people new to the sport.

I think people would watch. 3 on 3 has high entertainment value for non purists and it develops the NHLs gambling stream which looks to be getting a lot of attention.
It's only possible for one team to play 11 games (and a game is only the equivalent of 1 period of hockey anyway), and that is even a fairly unlikely scenario). Sixteen teams play 3 games or less, and another 6 teams only play 4 games. Most of the tournament would overlap with rookie camp for the NHL teams, so for the vets this tournament is really just replacing the pickup games most of them play at winsport anyway.

Injuries are possible, but they're also possible at camp or in pick up games the guys play anyway. Injuries in 3 on 3 seem pretty rare in the NHL, so I think the injury threat is low, and these games should generate significant HRR anyway, so both the players union and the NHL would probably be ok with them.

The other rule changes I mentioned are pretty unimportant to the overall idea, and I agree they're probably not needed. Although I do think almost everyone prefers sudden death to a shootout in an elimination game.
Old 09-08-2019, 01:44 PM   #7
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Perhaps it was my post that sparked this?

Quote:
3v3 Canada Cup.

Injury risk is miniscule, and could work either pre-season or during season. I'd favour pre-season - early part of training camp for higher level players is mostly about getting game shape cardio and 'touch'...which would be well achieved.

You'd have at least 3 Canada teams - Team West, Team Ontario, Team QC & Maritimes, and maybe 1-2 for US. Could have a round robin in each of these regions...then maybe semis+finals happen at the All Star Break. Could still do the skills comp and maybe a 'sticks in the middle' game for the other All-Stars.

It feels unlikely to get full passion 5v5 for anything outside the Olympics, but I think you would see tremendous skill displayed, and every country could be pretty competitive (still probably requires a version of Team World). 3 Team Canadas = more revenue.

The problem I see with your 32 team idea is that it doesn't have any 'hook' aside from 3 on 3. If more people will tune in for 3 on 3 than 5v5, then the NHL should be moving that direction regardless. The same diehard fans that follow every moment of the pre-season would do the same for this, but I don't see it attracting anyone new.

One of the reasons 3v3 OT is so good is that you see the very best players over the boards pretty much the entire time (unless you're the Oilers and only have 2 good players). Without real stakes playing time will be more evenly spread...I'm not super interested in seeing what Bennett Janko and Hamonic do every 3 minutes.

Canada Cup/World Cup is at least a bit of an established brand...certainly not to Olympic levels, but people will tune in to watch any group with a version of Team Canada on their jerseys. Elite depth and more interesting line combos...McDavid-Tavares-Subban? Sounds fun. Crosby-Mackinnon-Marchand out for a Nova Scotia special shift, because why not? Hall-Eberle-J Schultz...

Whatever version it is, the most important thing is probably a substantial cash prize to the winning team...
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 03:03 PM   #8
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think if you want players/people to take it seriously it would need to have an effect somehow. A new trophy isn't going to do it. Maybe if you made results in the 3-on-3 cup the first tiebreaker for playoff position?
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 03:33 PM   #9
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Putting it during rookie camp and involving the veterans would violate a few provisions of the CBA.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 03:34 PM   #10
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Perhaps it was my post that sparked this?

The problem I see with your 32 team idea is that it doesn't have any 'hook' aside from 3 on 3. If more people will tune in for 3 on 3 than 5v5, then the NHL should be moving that direction regardless. The same diehard fans that follow every moment of the pre-season would do the same for this, but I don't see it attracting anyone new.

One of the reasons 3v3 OT is so good is that you see the very best players over the boards pretty much the entire time (unless you're the Oilers and only have 2 good players). Without real stakes playing time will be more evenly spread...I'm not super interested in seeing what Bennett Janko and Hamonic do every 3 minutes.

Canada Cup/World Cup is at least a bit of an established brand...certainly not to Olympic levels, but people will tune in to watch any group with a version of Team Canada on their jerseys. Elite depth and more interesting line combos...McDavid-Tavares-Subban? Sounds fun. Crosby-Mackinnon-Marchand out for a Nova Scotia special shift, because why not? Hall-Eberle-J Schultz...

Whatever version it is, the most important thing is probably a substantial cash prize to the winning team...
It was your post, I just couldn't find which thread it was in when I looked again, or I would have linked to it.

I think you'd see better players than you're suggesting. For the Flames, I think you would see lines like:

Johnny Monahan Gio
Lindholm Tkachuk Brodie
Bennett Backlund Hanifin

No chance you'd get as deep as seeing Hamonic or Jankowski.

I think there could be 'real stakes' as well. As the years go by, I think this championship would gain prestige and with that you would see at least regular season level effort in these games and maybe something close to playoff effort for the last couple games.
Old 09-08-2019, 03:37 PM   #11
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
Putting it during rookie camp and involving the veterans would violate a few provisions of the CBA.
Obviously the whole thing would require some negotiation between the league and the union. But where there is money to be made, there is a way.
Old 09-08-2019, 05:31 PM   #12
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

It’s cool that you put that much effort into it, but I have to agree that it just doesn’t seem that interesting. Why would this be better than the all-star game or the World Cup? Those at least have some draw outside the usual, because you’re putting together players that don’t usually play together. This is just seems like a pointless preseason tournament between NHL teams. It’s like the playoffs, but with literally everything that makes the playoffs good removed, and some gimmicky rules added.

I think the main question is: what desire does this fill? I know why I’m tuning into the all-star game or the World Cup. Why am I tuning into this outside of it being hockey to watch? As said, you’d get the fans who will watch anyone (people watch the rookie games, so, you know), but how are you getting fans outside of this? How are you actually selling tickets to a meaningless preseason tournament?

Kudos for the effort though. Just can’t imagine it having any draw. Maybe as an additional throw in to the preseason, but it doesn’t come close to replacing even the all-star game, let alone that and the World Cup.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:54 AM   #13
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I think if you made 3 on 3 competitive, coaches would figure out how to stifle it and make it trap and wait.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2019, 12:05 PM   #14
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I think if you made 3 on 3 competitive, coaches would figure out how to stifle it and make it trap and wait.
60 second shot clock? Or a 'zone-entry' clock (half as long if you skate the puck out of the offensive zone)?

Only allow 1 coach on the bench. Or better yet, no coaches...it would probably back fire and coaches would do an online physio course so they could be classified as 'trainers'
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 12:53 PM   #15
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the hook should be a big cash prize and player created teams of six players and a goalie. Players play for the cash prize and bragging rights.

If there are more than 32 teams fan votes determine which 32 make it in.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 05:40 PM   #16
theinfinitejar
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
60 second shot clock? Or a 'zone-entry' clock (half as long if you skate the puck out of the offensive zone)?

Only allow 1 coach on the bench. Or better yet, no coaches...it would probably back fire and coaches would do an online physio course so they could be classified as 'trainers'
Over and back violation.

Into the Sun.
theinfinitejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 06:54 AM   #17
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

All star game is a huge corporate event for the host city.

And players do need a mid-season break.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:59 AM   #18
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Honestly, the thing about 3 on 3 is that it is a gimmick. One that will wear out its welcome in a damn hurry if we overexpose it. The ASG is enough.

Also, calling it the "Richard Cup" is just appealing to something old for the sake of it. There's no association between either Maurice or Henri Richard and 3 on 3. If anything, it should be the John Scott Cup.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 09:11 AM   #19
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Honestly, the thing about 3 on 3 is that it is a gimmick. One that will wear out its welcome in a damn hurry if we overexpose it. The ASG is enough.

Also, calling it the "Richard Cup" is just appealing to something old for the sake of it. There's no association between either Maurice or Henri Richard and 3 on 3. If anything, it should be the John Scott Cup.
Even the ASG 3 on 3 has aged rapidly. The first year it was fast paced and exciting. Last year everyone just plodded around.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2019, 09:25 AM   #20
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I guess my thought was that by making this an actual championship as time went on the event would gain in prestige and therefore players would take it seriously and that would help prevent the drop in intensity that the current All Star 3 on 3 has seen.

As for the name, that's pretty irrelevant. I'm sure if this actually came to pass it would end up with a corporate sponsor name anyway, like the Rogers Cup or the Scotiabank Cup.