Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2019, 03:22 PM   #2361
thatguy
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moncton golden flames View Post
Completely relying on bad memory, but I remember hearing mid 7000 yds or so from the tips. Again, this course and clubhouse are being designed with the intent of luring the Canadian open.
I read 7685 awhile back. 7685 with our elevation doesn't really seem that long for pros though.
thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 07:16 PM   #2362
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FragileMind View Post
Visually,I found #10 to be spectacular.
Lack of yardage markers was a little irritating as I don't carry any aids in that respect.Understandable though.
May start calling it Delacour West as the wind was brutal for the 4 hole preview.Just strong for the 10.
I found it funny that my buddies couldn't pick the right club. One would guess a yardage and another something completely different.

I never use a range finder or GPS so I had no problem with club selection.

We played the tips on #10 because we felt it obligatory to try and GIR a 600+ yard par 5. I think the best score was a double.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 07:28 PM   #2363
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
I read 7685 awhile back. 7685 with our elevation doesn't really seem that long for pros though.
Not when they will be hitting it 380+.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:52 PM   #2364
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
Is it just me or does your handicap INCREASE at the end of the year? I was trending towards single digits a month ago, shooting low/mid 80's, and the last 2 weeks I've shot anywhere from 92 to 100 with no consistency whatsoever.

Irons are no longer pure, I've developed a laser beam 280 yard t shot that goes DIRECTLY left and out of play, and I'm putting like I have oven mitts on my hands.

This game is SO frustrating.
My handicap always goes down near the end of the year. The more I play the better consistency with my drives, irons, putting and short game. That doesn't mean there won't be a few hiccups along the way, just a lot less of them.
Old 09-05-2019, 11:30 PM   #2365
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Speaking of play getting worse, I remembered posting something about my slice in this thread years ago so I dug it up:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
Happy to report back that I fixed my slice on the range today.

Appreciate all the input.

I attempted every suggestion plus some common slice problem drills I found on youtube. Tilting my body, addressing the ball more midline in my stance, closing my stance, and turning my wrists over all ended up increasing my slice. Based on my range attempts last week I really don't come across the ball right to left.

After about 90-100 balls hit on the range I ditched every drill I was trying and went by feel. I was hitting an iron shot, followed quickly by a driver to try and tell the difference (since I never slice an iron). It ended up being rotation of my leading (left arm). For some reason, maybe the steeper angle due to the longer shaft, I was rotating the lead arm into pronation/internal rotation. When I swung my clubhead was rotating counter-clockwise to catch up, spinning the ball.

Obviously impossible to diagnose without seeing video. I'm just glad I found a solution after 2 years of a crappy driver. And the only reason I say it's "fixed" is because the last 20-25 balls I hit were all straight; I could even draw the ball if I wanted to.

Excited for next round!
From 2016. I'm about 50%-80% fairways hit now overall (with many being driver), with some misses being just barely in the rough.

But as a result of fixing my driver swing my weakness is now my irons. My GIR has worsened as I'm still trying to keep a distinct swing with the irons since I changed my driver so much.

That's golf for you.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
Old 09-06-2019, 04:31 AM   #2366
FragileMind
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
I found it funny that my buddies couldn't pick the right club. One would guess a yardage and another something completely different.

I never use a range finder or GPS so I had no problem with club selection.

We played the tips on #10 because we felt it obligatory to try and GIR a 600+ yard par 5. I think the best score was a double.
Sure it was your buddies having trouble with the yardages?
#10 is 383 from the tips.HaHa.
Upper and lower fairway,with a big bunker between the two.
FragileMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 04:37 AM   #2367
FragileMind
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggum_PI View Post
Any idea what the total yardage will be when the course is finished?
Championship-7372
Tournament-6832
Middle-6026
Forward-4938
From the scorecard.
FragileMind is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FragileMind For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2019, 06:24 AM   #2368
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Sure it was your buddies having trouble with the yardages?
#10 is 383 from the tips.HaHa.
Upper and lower fairway,with a big bunker between the two.
Oh touche. #11.

https://course.bluegolf.com/bluegolf...dscorecard.htm

#1 is as you described as well.

Old 09-06-2019, 02:19 PM   #2369
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Championship-7372
Tournament-6832
Middle-6026
Forward-4938
From the scorecard.
Yikes, that's pretty much out for PGA then, right?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 01:13 AM   #2370
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Yikes, that's pretty much out for PGA then, right?
Not necessarily. They could play it as a Par 70 and then it might be long enough. Alternatively they could build some other tees to add length.
Old 09-07-2019, 06:49 AM   #2371
wpgflamesfan
3 Wolves Short of 2 Millionth Post

Exp:

Does anyone really trust Windmill to maintain a course up to tour standards?
wpgflamesfan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wpgflamesfan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2019, 01:14 PM   #2372
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgflamesfan View Post
Does anyone really trust Windmill to maintain a future housing development up to tour standards?
Fixed your post.

I really really really hope Totem buys Bearspaw.
Old 09-07-2019, 03:03 PM   #2373
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Shot an 86 at cottonwood. Seems that my pulled t shots were caused by over rotating my hips. Once I initiated my downswing with a hip slide it straightened everything out. Should have been closer to shooting an 80 but I managed 2 doubles and a triple bogey with some terrible course management but whatever.

This all started when I added one tiny fix in my swing plane to hit the ball a bit more pure. Crazy how one little change all of a sudden changes the mechanics of your entire swing. Same with the putter; one tiny change to strike the ball a little more clean and my putting average suddenly drops.

Such is golf.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tron_fdc For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2019, 02:46 PM   #2374
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Long shot, but does anyone know where I can grab some retro golf clothes in town?
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 05:41 PM   #2375
jayswin

Exp:

I've decided to take a bigger step next season and will be upgrading my irons. I typically shoot 90-96, with some decent mid to late 80's every so often. Obviously I'll be going to a couple places to get my swing checked and all that, but any recommendations on intermediate clubs? (Maybe I'm not even considered intermediate yet?)

I want a lot of forgiveness but want to start adding distance as well. It appears that Taylormade M4's come highly recommended for what I think I want.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:44 PM   #2376
jayswin

Exp:

I'm assuming boxing day (possibly black Friday) are the best times to buy? It doesn't seem golf stores do the big end of season sales anymore.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:50 PM   #2377
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you are buying from golftown, make sure you are getting measured and fit for your clubs.

It's free for most of the sets they have. It makes a huge difference no matter your ability and can change as your swing changes.

As an example, I was fit for my Titleist irons 8 or 9 years ago and have been using them ever since. My set was built with specs of Dynamic Gold s300 shaft 1/2" long and lie 2 degrees flat. I'm now in the market for a new set. The new specs are KBS tour x-stiff shaft 1/2" long, standard lie.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:55 PM   #2378
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh and if you get fit and find out that you are standard length and lie, then you can buy whatever set you want from wherever.
Old 09-12-2019, 09:47 PM   #2379
CarlLester
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I'm assuming boxing day (possibly black Friday) are the best times to buy? It doesn't seem golf stores do the big end of season sales anymore.
I think the sales are still out there - around this time of year, many pro shops (and golf town, etc) still clear out inventory to make way for the obviously better stuff next year ;-)

In general though, you are kind of right - the sales don't seem as good as they once were. That might also be because the starting price is much higher now than even a few years ago (low Canadian dollar, etc).

Some brands never really have great sales while some others you can get with a deeper discount. Follow the advice above - get fit! Also, don't get fooled by distance gains - many of the longer irons just have jacked up lofts.
CarlLester is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CarlLester For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2019, 06:24 PM   #2380
jayswin

Exp:

Thanks for the advice. Got a set of M4's on hold at golftown (just taking the weekend to shop around and research first).

Good news was he evaluated my swing and determined that despite being 6'2" a standard length is perfect because of my stance, with an assurance that my stance works for me and got results on the simulator (averaging 185 yards with 7 iron, with some nice 195-200 yards mixed in, which is way better than the clubs I use now).

4-pw M4 set was on for $650 right now. Take it or wait for Black Friday/Boxing Day?

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow