Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-03-2019, 01:26 PM   #61
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
To be honest, I wasn't really aware raising division bammers was a tradition. Is that true for all teams? I doubt Montreal does it.
Montreal doesn't. They just don't have room, considering both the cups and the retired jersey banners.

But other successful teams do:
NSFW!

Last edited by GioforPM; 09-03-2019 at 02:08 PM.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 01:29 PM   #62
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I get the disappointment of the early playoffs exit, but what was wrong with how the regular season ended? The Flames won top seed in the West with games to spare, and they played some excellent hockey down the stretch including a textbook road game in SJ to clinch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
People only care about playoff success in the NHL.

The NHL puts so much emphasis on the Playoffs that the regular season is pretty much a non-factor when it comes to measuring success.

IMO more of an advantage needs to be provided for division winners come playoff time, and there should be more of a celebration for winning the Presidents Trophy. IMO being the best team over an 82 game season is much more indicative of being the best team in the league than the randomness of a 7 game series.

The league being driven by playoff success is magnified by the fact that the NHL has allowed and even promotes that it pretty much becomes a different sport with different rules for the Playoffs vs Regular Season. Building a team to be the best over 82 games is much different than being the best in a 7 game series with the current NHL officiating standard.

The argument is always that the NHL product is so much better come playoff time because of the style of play being different but I think they need to find a medium of having the game be more intense while still following the same rules.

MLB playoffs are more exciting/intense than the regular season and they can still follow the same rules.
NFL playoffs are more exciting/intense than the regular season and they can still follow the same rules.
NBA playoffs are more exciting/intense than the regular season and they can still follow the same rules.

NHL is the only sport of the big 4 in North America that seems to have different rules for playoffs vs the regular season.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 09-03-2019 at 01:33 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 01:31 PM   #63
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default '2018-19 Pacific Division Champions' Banner Quietly Unveiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
If the event was meaningful enough to hang a banner it’s meaningful enough to have a 10 minute banner raising ceremony.

Gross. This is such an Edmonton thing to do. Celebrating accomplishments that aren’t really accomplishments. There shouldn’t even be a banner in the first place.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 01:42 PM   #64
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Detroit puts up WC regular season banners lol...in a year when the won the presidents trophy? wow they must have been butt hurt when the Flames beat them
Old 09-03-2019, 01:43 PM   #65
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
Gross. This is such an Edmonton thing to do. Celebrating accomplishments that aren’t really accomplishments. There shouldn’t even be a banner in the first place.
Division Championship is fine...they won it over 82 games

no need for a huge ceremony but banner is well deserved
Old 09-03-2019, 01:44 PM   #66
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Winning the division is an accomplishment, however.

And saying "it's such an Edmonton thing to do" when about 28 of 31 NHL teams do it is just a bad, bad argument.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2019, 01:44 PM   #67
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

"Regular Season ___ Conference Champions" wouldn't even be as bad if President Trophy winners didn't do it. What's that you say? You won the President's Trophy AND you were the best team in your conference? That's crazy!
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 02:07 PM   #68
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No, an Edmonton thing to do is to give Garth Brooks a banner.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2019, 04:04 PM   #69
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

I really hope there isn't a banner raising ceremony for this. That'd be gawd damn humiliating, especially for the players.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 04:20 PM   #70
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Technically, the Pacific Division Champions were the San Jose Sharks. The playoff format today is divisional, and no longer 1v8, 2v7, etc. There is literally 1 winner for each division, each season (there is only 1 season per year), and in 2018/19 that was San Jose.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 04:25 PM   #71
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
Technically, the Pacific Division Champions were the San Jose Sharks. The playoff format today is divisional, and no longer 1v8, 2v7, etc. There is literally 1 winner for each division, each season (there is only 1 season per year), and in 2018/19 that was San Jose.
Not really. The first two rounds are structured around the Divisional seedings, but the wildcards can come from anywhere. Hell, it is technically possible for a Central Division Wild Card team to beat two Pacific Division teams and to meet a Pacific Division Wild Card team who beat two Central Division teams in the WC Finals. The League has never recognized "Division Champions" by the format you suggest, and they likely never will. Since as long as I can remember "Division Champions" (I prefer "Division winners") have always been determined by the regular season standings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 09-03-2019 at 04:30 PM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 04:27 PM   #72
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
But then a team from the Central division could be crowned the Pacific division champion, or vice versa, thanks to the cross over.

So that makes zero sense.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 04:30 PM   #73
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
nope
Old 09-03-2019, 05:22 PM   #74
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
But then a team from the Central division could be crowned the Pacific division champion, or vice versa, thanks to the cross over.

So that makes zero sense.
I think the poster has a point here. It's like the CFL - the wildcards are considered cross over spots. Just like the Stamps could be represent the East in the Grey Cup.

Doesn't the NHL refer to the first two rounds as the divisional semifinals and finals? I believe they do.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 05:37 PM   #75
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I think the poster has a point here. It's like the CFL - the wildcards are considered cross over spots. Just like the Stamps could be represent the East in the Grey Cup.

Doesn't the NHL refer to the first two rounds as the divisional semifinals and finals? I believe they do.
I don't think so. I'm pretty sure the NHL has consistently followed the format of "First Round," "Second Round," "Conference Finals," and "Finals."

Just by looking at their own playoff coverage on NHL.com there is nowhere that I see this terminology used. Plugging a simple search string of "NHL division finals" into The Googles yields nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 05:48 PM   #76
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here are a couple of articles which I would not call definitive. But it is called a "divisional playoff system".

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carolsc.../#32c088d41d12

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl...ason-1.5083642

You're right, I only found one article using the term divisional finals and it was from 2017.

But when the playoff format is largely division based, I get the poster's point.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:35 PM   #77
TheRealPepman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1171587914280529920
It's official. And here's the modified banner below:
TheRealPepman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:19 PM   #78
JD
First Line Centre

Exp:

I like having a banner for it because it's an accomplishment, but the word "champions" seems a bit much to me. Maybe just say "winners"? "Title"? Or something.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:24 PM   #79
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
I like having a banner for it because it's an accomplishment, but the word "champions" seems a bit much to me. Maybe just say "winners"? "Title"? Or something.
"First Place."
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 06:55 PM   #80
TheRealPepman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Went to Saddledome today. The original banner on page 1 is more accurate. Just so you guys know...
TheRealPepman is offline   Reply With Quote