Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-02-2019, 06:48 PM   #1
TheRealPepman
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default '2018-19 Pacific Division Champions' Banner Quietly Unveiled

The Calgary Flames quietly unveiled their 2018-19 Pacific Division Champions banner last July 25th when the Backstreet Boys performed several of their hit songs at the Saddledome. As a fan of four years, there’s a few issues I’d like to discuss:

1. I’m surprised that they decided to unveil it in this fashion. You know - roll the banner, hang it, and call it a day. I always believed that you have to hang any kind of banner at your home season opener in front of your fans. No longer. (Thanks, CSEC.) Have the Flames always been like this? Take note that I only started cheering for them in the Spring of 2015. When the "2006 NW Division Champions" banner occurred, I wasn’t even into hockey let alone know who Iginla and the Flames are. I lived in the Philippines. It was and still is all about basketball. So it would be nice to know from you guys on the Flames’ stance were hang banners that are not the Stanley Cup.
2. I’m also surprised that the banner design looks dissimilar the previous Pacific Division Champions banners. I would have loved to see the Black C with the old design. The classic white C and the 1994-2000 white C had their exposures with the previous design. Oh wow, what could have been (see pic below).

Thoughts on the banner?

Last edited by TheRealPepman; 09-02-2019 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Original banner pic had an image that's sized too big.
TheRealPepman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 06:53 PM   #2
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Banner is fine...with the way the season ended its probably better to not make a big deal of it
Old 09-02-2019, 06:56 PM   #3
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would like to see more consistency in all the banners
That’s always been an issue
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2019, 06:56 PM   #4
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 06:57 PM   #5
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agreed. They didn't win anything. If you're not first.....
Old 09-02-2019, 07:02 PM   #6
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I think you unveil a division banner if you play even halfway decently in the playoffs. When you destroy the regular season and then flame out in disastrous fashion in the first round the worst thing you could do is celebrate that in the home opener.

It was a horrendous, embarrassing end to the season and thankfully the Flames recognize this and didn't try to hype the division win up for marketing purposes.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2019, 07:04 PM   #7
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like they didn't make a big deal about it. Unless they win at least the Western Conference Championship they shouldn't have a special unveiling of the banner. Sends a message to the players that the franchise is not satisified with the previous season.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 07:14 PM   #8
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Yeah. It’s a regular season banner. The meek playoff exit underscored how ultimately meaningless the regular season finish was.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 07:15 PM   #9
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Nice post to post consistency!
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 07:29 PM   #10
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Those three banners are 100% consistent. Same shape, fonts and colours with the current logos (team and NHL) at the time each championship was won.

What’s the problem?
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2019, 07:38 PM   #11
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Those three banners are 100% consistent. Same shape, fonts and colours with the current logos (team and NHL) at the time each championship was won.

What’s the problem?
The problem is that isn't what the new banner actually looks like. It looks like the first image posted.

It is consistent with the 2005-06 Division banner, but they are both inconsistent with the banners the team put up for the Division wins in the 80s and 90s.
Old 09-02-2019, 08:05 PM   #12
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphusk View Post
Agreed. They didn't win anything.
... Except those 50 hockey games.

I have never understood why the sport goes to such lengths to de-emphasize the meaning of regular season hockey games. Last season watching the Flames was generally a lot of fun and provided a lot of great moments of enjoyment, followed by some disappointment. That does not erase the preceding enjoyment. If all of those games meant nothing, then why pay to watch them?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 08:49 PM   #13
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't recall any team banners raised in a formal pregame ceremony in the past 15 years including 2005 for 2004, nor should it be. Unless you win the Stanley Cup, the rest is overkill for a ceremony. Prior to that too, their last division banner in the mid 90s, no ceremony IIRC. So this isn't a new thing.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2019, 09:08 PM   #14
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd prefer them throw a banner up in silence unless it's at least a conference playoffs win
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 09:10 PM   #15
JD
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
I don't recall any team banners raised in a formal pregame ceremony in the past 15 years including 2005 for 2004, nor should it be.
My memories are fading of that home opener in 2005 but I'm pretty sure you're wrong. I still have my mini banner I got from that game hanging on my fridge here in Abu Dhabi.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JD For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2019, 09:12 PM   #16
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
The problem is that isn't what the new banner actually looks like. It looks like the first image posted.

It is consistent with the 2005-06 Division banner, but they are both inconsistent with the banners the team put up for the Division wins in the 80s and 90s.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 09:15 PM   #17
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
I don't recall any team banners raised in a formal pregame ceremony in the past 15 years including 2005 for 2004, nor should it be. Unless you win the Stanley Cup, the rest is overkill for a ceremony. Prior to that too, their last division banner in the mid 90s, no ceremony IIRC. So this isn't a new thing.
They definitely did a ceremony in 2005 for the 2004 Western Conference banner. I remember the banner going up and being shocked that they somehow screwed up the logo on the banner, which was missing the bottom flame on the logo.

I'm pretty sure they did a banner raising the following year for the home opener against the Oilers.
Old 09-02-2019, 09:56 PM   #18
Press Level
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

They most definitely did have a banner raising ceremony in 2005. It felt a bit odd, since it was over a year after the play-off run, but it was still wonderful to celebrate a Flames team that had had so little to celebrate, for so long.
Press Level is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 10:12 PM   #19
TheRealPepman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
They definitely did a ceremony in 2005 for the 2004 Western Conference banner. I remember the banner going up and being shocked that they somehow screwed up the logo on the banner, which was missing the bottom flame on the logo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Press Level View Post
They most definitely did have a banner raising ceremony in 2005. It felt a bit odd, since it was over a year after the play-off run, but it was still wonderful to celebrate a Flames team that had had so little to celebrate, for so long.

Savour this.
TheRealPepman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheRealPepman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2019, 10:53 PM   #20
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, yes, but is Backstreet Back?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post: