Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-23-2019, 12:11 PM   #1001
jeep991
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Anyone have recommendations for a Plex server? I've been using an old iMac but it's failing on me. Not looking to break the bank but want something reliable with options for expanding the storage.
If you want something affordable you could get a Raspberry Pi. I'm using a RPi 3 for my plex server and it has been working awesome. I've got my 2 x 2TB NAS mounted and I've got all my music, photos, movies and tv shows on that. I don't need transcoding as I download either mkv or mp4 only. Obviously I'd prefer a Nvidia Shield but for about $50, the RPi 3 works great.
jeep991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 12:59 PM   #1002
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Anyone have recommendations for a Plex server? I've been using an old iMac but it's failing on me. Not looking to break the bank but want something reliable with options for expanding the storage.
As mentioned above the first thing we need to know is if you will be transcoding and what files you plan on streaming (1080p, 4K, HDR ,H265 etc.) this will make a huge difference in what the suggestion will be.
Old 08-23-2019, 07:08 PM   #1003
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
As mentioned above the first thing we need to know is if you will be transcoding and what files you plan on streaming (1080p, 4K, HDR ,H265 etc.) this will make a huge difference in what the suggestion will be.
Video primarily MKV and MP4 files. Typically 1080p but might as well future proof for 4K.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 07:46 PM   #1004
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

If you want to future proof the best thing is a small form factor PC like a think center M720 or similar. I am currently using a Mac mini and was previously using a M93p with an 256ssd 12gigs of RAM and and 2 external 6tb drives. It honestly worked perfect for everything I threw at it including HDR files.

As more media moves to h265 I think it’s important to get a decent cpu because transcoding is becoming more and more cpu intensive.

The Nvidia Shield is a good option if you don’t have a lot of clients. 3 transcodes and it starts having issues. I don’t suggest getting a NAS because to get something that can transcode 4K and get a decent CPU passmark score you are playing big big money. 6000 on passmark can easily push 4 1080p streams transcoding.

Even the new dell Inspiron mini that’s $449 right now would crush anything thrown at it with the i3-9100.
Old 08-23-2019, 08:58 PM   #1005
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

What are you guys using for Plex clients? None of mine require transcoding, even with HEVC, so there’s little strain on the server. I don’t stream offsite much though.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 09:26 PM   #1006
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
What are you guys using for Plex clients? None of mine require transcoding, even with HEVC, so there’s little strain on the server. I don’t stream offsite much though.
I use 2 x APTV4k, 1x firetv4k and one APTV4. Transcoding Occurs on the APTV4 the most because alot of my files are 4K HDR. I also have about 8 others using my server.
Old 09-01-2019, 10:27 PM   #1007
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I use 2 x APTV4k, 1x firetv4k and one APTV4. Transcoding Occurs on the APTV4 the most because alot of my files are 4K HDR. I also have about 8 others using my server.
How do you find the firetv4k as a Plex client?
Old 09-01-2019, 11:04 PM   #1008
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilyfan View Post
How do you find the firetv4k as a Plex client?
Works perfect for Plex no issues there. The interface is smooth and streams 4K HDR
Old 09-02-2019, 12:12 AM   #1009
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Works perfect for Plex no issues there. The interface is smooth and streams 4K HDR
Thanks. I have been on the fence about trying one as a cheaper alternative to the 4KATV
Old 09-02-2019, 12:46 AM   #1010
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilyfan View Post
Thanks. I have been on the fence about trying one as a cheaper alternative to the 4KATV
I use it to plug into my mini projector and have no issues. Works perfect for that purpose.
Old 09-03-2019, 12:56 PM   #1011
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Looking to re-org my hardware a bit. Wondering if you guys think a tiny pc i have would be worth using.... I got this several years ago: https://www.newegg.com/zotac-zbox-b-...tent-_-text-_-

I also upgraded the ram to 6gb. Would that run ok as a plex server? So far I have just used chromecasts on the 3 tvs. I am just testing out a roku so I can finally cord cut, so that would be in the future plans as well potentially. In the short term we might add a 4th tv, but odds of more than 2 being used at a time are slim as well.

Let me know your thoughts. The source files are mp4. I have used the chromecast setting on handbrake to downsize the mkvs.

Let me know if theres any other info needed! Thanks in advance!
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 01:34 PM   #1012
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
Looking to re-org my hardware a bit. Wondering if you guys think a tiny pc i have would be worth using.... I got this several years ago: https://www.newegg.com/zotac-zbox-b-...tent-_-text-_-

I also upgraded the ram to 6gb. Would that run ok as a plex server? So far I have just used chromecasts on the 3 tvs. I am just testing out a roku so I can finally cord cut, so that would be in the future plans as well potentially. In the short term we might add a 4th tv, but odds of more than 2 being used at a time are slim as well.

Let me know your thoughts. The source files are mp4. I have used the chromecast setting on handbrake to downsize the mkvs.

That CPU will struggle any time it needs to transcode or play multiple streams that aren’t SMB protocol. I would look at upgrading as you will probably not be happy with the performance of that CPU in the near future. That chip pulls about 1400 on passmark. Without transcoding that CPU would hold its own just like a Pi3 does but the second it had to transcode fun would end.

If you want to look at performance the “suggestion” is a passmark score of 2000 for every 1080p transcoded stream. Even low range current i3 processors score above 9000 which is more than enough. Here is what Plex themselves suggest.

4K HDR (50Mbps, 10-bit HEVC) file: 17000 PassMark score (being transcoded to 10Mbps 1080p)
4K SDR (40Mbps, 8-bit HEVC) file: 12000 PassMark score (being transcoded to 10Mbps 1080p)
1080p (10Mbps, H.264) file: 2000 PassMark score
720p (4Mbps, H.264) file: 1500 PassMark score

https://support.plex.tv/articles/201...for-my-server/
Old 09-03-2019, 02:50 PM   #1013
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Thanks man. I got the box just to be my little web server file backup box and its served its role. I have been using my old gaming rig for the plex server thus far. Wasn't sure if I could shift the burden and at least not have 2 machines running 24/7. I think I will just stick with what I have for now.
Old 09-03-2019, 08:33 PM   #1014
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
I am just testing out a roku so I can finally cord cut

What are you using Roku for?

I have a tv with Roku built in and the only thing it's good for is Amazon TV.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:36 AM   #1015
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post

It would be my primary means of streaming. My TV is dated so it doesn't have connectivity or apps built in. I am just looking at a mix of the common pay apps like Netflix, Disney+ this fall, Hulu, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to dobbles For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2019, 08:03 AM   #1016
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post

I have 2 Roku's that are about 6 years old and since they still work fine I can't justify replacing them, use them for Netflix, Prime Video and Emby (there is also a Plex client). They work fine but I wouldn't replace them with Roku again as I've found that I like Android devices better.
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 06:41 PM   #1017
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

How can I easily, legally watch CFL games without cable TV? I’m willing to pay if it’s available on TSN.

Edit: found it on tsn. Any other options I’m missing?

Last edited by MoneyGuy; 09-10-2019 at 07:40 PM.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 05:59 PM   #1018
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
How can I easily, legally watch CFL games without cable TV? I’m willing to pay if it’s available on TSN.

Edit: found it on tsn. Any other options I’m missing?
TSN is the only legal way in Canada that I know of. That's how I watch, the quality is excellent.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:02 AM   #1019
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just realized netflix is up to $16/month and now i’m going to have to pay separately if i want to stream hbo, disney or sports? That’s ridiculous i’m going to be paying more than for cable. I was paying $50 for cable and i had all the good content and more plus it reduced my internet price because it got bundled.

Yeah but cable had a lot of shows you didn’t watch? - Well 95% of these streaming apps have unwatchable content.

How is cutting the cord a win?
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:02 AM   #1020
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
Just realized netflix is up to $16/month and now i’m going to have to pay separately if i want to stream hbo, disney or sports? That’s ridiculous i’m going to be paying more than for cable. I was paying $50 for cable and i had all the good content and more plus it reduced my internet price because it got bundled.

Yeah but cable had a lot of shows you didn’t watch? - Well 95% of these streaming apps have unwatchable content.

How is cutting the cord a win?
It’s not for everyone, as not everyone needs to watch $50+ worth of television a month, and it usually provides a cheaper way to get better content. So all price things being equal, you have more access to quality programming through streaming than you do through cable.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post: