Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: When will Tkachuk/Calgary get a deal done?
This week 3 0.87%
Before Camp 108 31.30%
During Camp 93 26.96%
Just Before Opener 49 14.20%
Week into the Season 24 6.96%
Month into the Season 31 8.99%
Before December deadline 26 7.54%
He will miss the year 11 3.19%
Voters: 345. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-20-2019, 11:06 AM   #21
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I doubt this gets done before Nov. Only chance I see that happening is Marner and/or a critical mass of these forward RFAs getting done.

I also think Tkachuk will be using some different comparable to build his case (1st line points, 2nd line/defensive line deployment, penalties drawn, intangibles, etc) that might make things a bit stickier from a negotiation point.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 03:13 PM   #22
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tkachuk does not strike me to be the kind of player who is willing to miss any hockey. The man practically lives at the rink from what I have heard. My guess is that BT knows this and is using the time to his advantage. I don't think that he misses a game, but will probably miss most of camp.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 03:21 PM   #23
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Tkachuk does not strike me to be the kind of player who is willing to miss any hockey. The man practically lives at the rink from what I have heard. My guess is that BT knows this and is using the time to his advantage. I don't think that he misses a game, but will probably miss most of camp.
I agree, but he also strikes me as a guy who wants to maximize his income, and won't cave just to play.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 04:27 PM   #24
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
I agree, but he also strikes me as a guy who wants to maximize his income, and won't cave just to play.
His Father Keith is I believe a top 5 NHL career earner of all time. I recall he had his fair share of holdouts and contract disputes. Now that he's retired, I doubt Keith has any regrets holding out for a better contract in some random year in his 20s for extra money. He always got what he wanted, and now that his career is over he's reaping those benefits.

I have no doubt Matt's father is well into his ear, telling him that one day hockey ends and you won't regret holding out for a couple extra million when you're retired and have a family to take care of.

I think this will all be over and done with before camp starts. But I also don't think Tkachuk's side is going to cave just so he can skate with the team. Money matters now more then ever.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2019, 05:10 PM   #25
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Did a search on his dad ... tough to find too much but this was interesting.

Points to flexibility at least

Quote:
Back in July, Pleau promised to negotiate a long-term contract if Tkachuk accepted the Blues' $8.3-million US qualifying offer, which he did.
He did sign an offer sheet with the Blackhawks while a Jet though.

Here was more trouble in Arizona

Quote:
Negotiations were tense, with the Tkachuk camp demanding a contract that would pay the forward $40 million US over the next five years.

At one point, then-Phoenix general manager Bobby Smith cut off all contact with the camp.

"I think we have a good enough team to make the playoffs without him," said Smith at one point. "All we have been able to do with Keith Tkachuk is make the playoffs and lose in the first round."

Tkachuk eventually settled on a deal that paid him $16.7 million US over three seasons.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2019, 05:22 PM   #26
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
His Father Keith is I believe a top 5 NHL career earner of all time. I recall he had his fair share of holdouts and contract disputes. Now that he's retired, I doubt Keith has any regrets holding out for a better contract in some random year in his 20s for extra money. He always got what he wanted, and now that his career is over he's reaping those benefits.

I have no doubt Matt's father is well into his ear, telling him that one day hockey ends and you won't regret holding out for a couple extra million when you're retired and have a family to take care of.

I think this will all be over and done with before camp starts. But I also don't think Tkachuk's side is going to cave just so he can skate with the team. Money matters now more then ever.

I think that who is father was is invariably going to be a factor. That said, Tkachuk's socio-economic background is very different from his fathers, and children, while getting advice from their parents are not destined to be their parents. I don't read to much into who is dad was, because while his dad wanted to be rich, Mathew is already the son of a millionaire. Also, who knows what his dads advice is, maybe he is telling him " son, I never won a cup, and that is one of my biggest regrets".

I guess the point I am making is that it is summer, and a little news would be nice because Jesus I need more hockey in my life.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2019, 05:35 PM   #27
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think he'll sign at the end of the preseason, and then be either very good to start off the year (playing fresh), or very bad (rusty).
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 05:37 PM   #28
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am expecting most of these RFAs to hold out going into the season.

Many will roll the dice and see how the team does without them. It's a gamble, but if the Flames falter without Tkachuk, the Leafs without Marner, the Jets without Laine, or the Lightning without Point, suddenly that player gains some leverage.

And if the team is desperate enough to overpay, it will work like a domino for the rest of the RFAs, potentially setting the bar high.

For this reason, I think there is going to be a lot of resolve and solidarity among these RFAs. None want to be the guy who caves in and sets the bar too low for the rest. And considering how many teams are in this position, I suspect one will falter and give in.

I say a month or a little longer will really put pressure on at least one team, and one is all it will take.
Old 08-20-2019, 05:43 PM   #29
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

I believe it will get done before the season starts. Matthew knows how important it is for this team to get off to a good start and wont want to drag the team down.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 05:47 PM   #30
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CsInMyBlood View Post
I believe it will get done before the season starts. Matthew knows how important it is for this team to get off to a good start and wont want to drag the team down.
It’s pretty tough to put that on the player. The organization wants the same thing too, if not more so.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 05:50 PM   #31
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whenever it does happen it'll happen on a Monday.

Its the Coyote in Treliving. You can take the Executive out of Phoenix but you cant take the Phoenix out of the Executive.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 06:16 PM   #32
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CsInMyBlood View Post
I kind of disagree. I don't know if it is more so than the past, but these players are independent contractors (mercanaries to a degree).

A poor start for the team while he misses out kind of plays into the player's favor. I also think that every contending team knows they have a defined window. Eating up a year while the core is locked in (in the flames case, key players hitting their prime, Norris trophy d that isn't getting any younger) is also another pressure point for the team/gm.

No doubt that there is a game of chicken being played by these RFAs and the team, but i think that the players have all the leverage here and can afford not to flinch.

Also, F the leafs... Mathews contract is definitely a major game changer. He got the salary AND the term, rather than the team gaining something for not extending into UFA year's (ie. A win-win for the player). That contract has changed the playing field and the general parameters of the modern day bridge deal.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 06:26 PM   #33
cowtown75
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

What is concerning to me is that Tkachuk's agent, Don Meehan said that their camp put together "set position" of what they figured was fair and relevant to both sides in early June. And that is where it sits. Meehan said they wanted to initiate the process early and not play the waiting game (eg. waiting for other RFA's to sign) and seeing the Aho offer sheet was a confirmation of where they figured where the market was at. This tells me two things for sure :

1) We can do away with the theory that they are waiting for other RFA's to sign first and

2) This number is most likely gonna start with and 8

Last edited by cowtown75; 08-20-2019 at 06:29 PM.
cowtown75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 06:31 PM   #34
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I vote for Before December Deadline and he signs any other time I'm still right!
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 06:37 PM   #35
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I am super surprised to see how optimistic everyone is ... 76% have him not missing a game.
I think the Leafs will try to avoid that scenario at all costs which if no other deals have been done by the time they strike that deal it will start the chain of events and likely all the holdouts start for their teams without missing games except possibly one of the two Jets players.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 07:49 PM   #36
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

The problem with things stretching into the season is that the longer it drags out, the higher the first season cap hit becomes on the same overall deal. They use a different calculation for RFA contracts signed midseason: https://www.capfriendly.com/faq#rfa-caphit

That's why Nylander's cap hit last season was over $10 million and is under $7 million the rest of the way. If he had signed the same 6 year, $45 million deal before the season began, it would have had a $7.5 million cap hit every year.

Last year, that worked out well for the Leafs because they had cap space to spare and it gives them an extra half million in cap space for the remaining years of the deal.

That would not be good for anyone with regards to Tkachuk because the first season of the contract is where the Flames have the cap crunch. They'll have a lot more flexibility in future years.

Allowing it to stretch into the season will ultimately just cost him money.
Old 08-20-2019, 08:11 PM   #37
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol — Ricardodw ‘He will miss the year’

Classic Ricardodw

Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 10:13 PM   #38
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm guessing well before camp starts.

One of the points that no one talks about is that the core have all signed on reasonable deals for the next 3+ seasons. I think Tkachuk gets 3 years at $6.5m. It seems fair AND workable for all sides. It also gives the core three more seasons together.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:32 AM   #39
UKflames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I said a week into the season, once Tre shifts some bodies out, creating more space.
UKflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:54 AM   #40
Dube
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

In the early days I thought Dr. Doodle would hold out for Lady Liberty. I think he’s going to be the first high profile RFA to put pen to paper. 9 min
Dube is offline   Reply With Quote