Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-09-2019, 02:49 PM   #1381
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
I just picked up AC Odyssey and I'm not sure what to think. The character animations are old gen, the voice acting is quite lame, and it does very little to integrate you into the gameplay and story from the start. All that, and it feels super arcadey.

I really want to like this game because of its setting and open world, but wow does it just feel 'cheap'. I'm an hour in and not feeling it at all. When does the game get good, or does it?
Did you happen to choose to play as the guy? That voice acting and dialogue is like a made for cable movie with him compared to playing as the woman. It’s not Lawrence of Arabia either way but playing as the lady is a far more fun experience IMO. I played the hell out of that game and never got too bored.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2019, 09:21 AM   #1382
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
I'm not sure, but the reason why I play it is because my good gaming friend, and my brother are playing it, so its an easy choice for me. The game is a combination of 2007 runescape and lego, two things that I have sunken endless hours into.
I installed the game since its been so long since I played and they have made the game 100% more accessible for new players especially with the recipe book. I'm not sure which version that came in but its really nice. Are you playing the Microsoft version or the original Java version?
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:45 AM   #1383
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
I installed the game since its been so long since I played and they have made the game 100% more accessible for new players especially with the recipe book. I'm not sure which version that came in but its really nice. Are you playing the Microsoft version or the original Java version?
I am playing on the PS4, I am ot exactly sure what version that makes it, all the same, this game makes me wish I owned a PC, because the mods, and servers for PC look really cool.
TheIronMaiden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 12:29 PM   #1384
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Why is there such a huge increase in the popularity of Minecraft all of a sudden. I get it was always popular but its big on Twitch and youtube recently.

Minecraft is only as good as you make it, those expecting the game to create the narrative will be bored and disappointed, those with imagination and creativity can play forever.
I'm pretty sure it came out on Gamepass recently too. More exposure to those of us with a GP subscription account.
Huntingwhale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 01:02 PM   #1385
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
I am playing on the PS4, I am ot exactly sure what version that makes it, all the same, this game makes me wish I owned a PC, because the mods, and servers for PC look really cool.
Yeah the Java version is the best for modding and free skins etc. The new version I guess known as Bedrock the version you see on Consoles, mobile, Windows 10 is cheaper to buy but tons upon tons of micro transactions.

Apparently the resurgence with the streamers has to do with the "Hardcore" challenge or beating the game on hardcore so if you die the whole world is deleted and you restart. Seems like a challenge I might try after getting familiar with the game again. I fired up a minecraft server on my server just to mess around and try both versions the biggest difference is no hardcore on bedrock and no native controller support on Java.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 01:41 PM   #1386
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah the Java version is the best for modding and free skins etc. The new version I guess known as Bedrock the version you see on Consoles, mobile, Windows 10 is cheaper to buy but tons upon tons of micro transactions.

Apparently the resurgence with the streamers has to do with the "Hardcore" challenge or beating the game on hardcore so if you die the whole world is deleted and you restart. Seems like a challenge I might try after getting familiar with the game again. I fired up a minecraft server on my server just to mess around and try both versions the biggest difference is no hardcore on bedrock and no native controller support on Java.
Interesting. Hardcore sounds like it would be a lot of fun, but I am not nearly good enough for that. I found that I enjoy "the game" far less then I enjoy making contraptions. That said, purely creative is not a challenge enough. I think that I am going to have to learn how to properly make some red-stone circuits.
TheIronMaiden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 02:16 PM   #1387
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Why is there such a huge increase in the popularity of Minecraft all of a sudden. I get it was always popular but its big on Twitch and youtube recently.

Minecraft is only as good as you make it, those expecting the game to create the narrative will be bored and disappointed, those with imagination and creativity can play forever.
PewDiePie started playing it and has uploaded almost exclusively Minecraft for over a month. The meme was starting to make a comeback before that but when he started playing it I noticed it really blow up.

I must admit I’ve gotten sucked back in. I played years ago but I’m really enjoying the new updates.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2019, 01:14 PM   #1388
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Did you happen to choose to play as the guy? That voice acting and dialogue is like a made for cable movie with him compared to playing as the woman. It’s not Lawrence of Arabia either way but playing as the lady is a far more fun experience IMO. I played the hell out of that game and never got too bored.
I actually chose the female character. It's depressing to know it could actually be worse.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2019, 05:34 PM   #1389
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I really want to like this game because of its setting and open world, but wow does it just feel 'cheap'. I'm an hour in and not feeling it at all. When does the game get good, or does it?
Have you gotten the big boat yet? Once you get it, the game world opens up more and you get access to more of the (often over-powered) special abilities the game should get more fun.

If you stick to the plot missions or the gold colored unique side missions, you shouldn't see too much repetitive gameplay.

Last edited by accord1999; 08-13-2019 at 05:41 PM.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:37 PM   #1390
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I actually chose the female character. It's depressing to know it could actually be worse.
Welp then I wager it’s just not for you. I really liked it for what it was after accepting the direction AC is going in post-Origins. So long stealthy murder game, hello quasi stealth murder mayhem sailing simulator.

I’d prefer if future games were more like Syndicate but you can’t win em all.

Last edited by ResAlien; 08-13-2019 at 05:43 PM.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 11:18 AM   #1391
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just got the platinum playing as Alexios and I thought it was fun. What does the female assassin do differently that makes it more fun?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 02:35 PM   #1392
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I just got the platinum playing as Alexios and I thought it was fun. What does the female assassin do differently that makes it more fun?
Some people just prefer the voice work of the female character. I played through as Alexios as well and didnt have any problems with his his character at all.
RyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RyZ For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2019, 04:13 PM   #1393
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

No Man's Sky NEXT update dropped today. Added VR and a bunch of new features. Increased the ship size and now you can ride the fauna (as well as milk them). Excuse me while I go milk a flying cow snake

northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to northcrunk For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2019, 05:18 PM   #1394
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
No Man's Sky NEXT update dropped today. Added VR and a bunch of new features. Increased the ship size and now you can ride the fauna (as well as milk them). Excuse me while I go milk a flying cow snake

I'm too bitter with the garbage and lies they gave us when this game first released to give them a second chance.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:17 PM   #1395
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
I'm too bitter with the garbage and lies they gave us when this game first released to give them a second chance.
I've played it since the big update and still find it pretty boring and repetitive.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 10:38 PM   #1396
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
I've played it since the big update and still find it pretty boring and repetitive.
Same here. It was definitely a massive improvement, yet it still just meant it held my attention for 10 hours instead of 5
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 07:18 AM   #1397
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

It cost me $20 for a used copy, just to check out the VR update. I expect I'll get my money's worth, even if it is very repetitive.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 08:13 AM   #1398
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wrapped up AC Syndicate on the weekend which I thoroughly enjoyed. I definitely missed the crowd sizes found in Unity but the missions were a lot of fun and I liked the Fryes. I am actually kind of sad Ubi decided to move away from the direction Unity/Syndicate were going. I think a mix of the two would have yielded a really great game.

I am taking a break from AC after playing those two games back to back but does anyone recommend the DLC for Origins? I imagine I'll jump into it after I finish playing Darksiders 3.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 08:58 AM   #1399
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
It cost me $20 for a used copy, just to check out the VR update. I expect I'll get my money's worth, even if it is very repetitive.
That's a great deal. If you get to the Galactic hub there are a ton of players who have built up a civilization. They've built race tracks/arenas and a ton of cool stuff to do and check out. First time I encountered someone in the game was in the Hub.

northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:20 AM   #1400
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

EA NHL fans out there (regardless of how weak the game play can be ), here's the update for NHL 20's GM Mode features. It actually looks quite impressive as a big player of the mode:

https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/...=1565884370965
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote