Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2019, 03:30 PM   #741
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Spoiler!

Thats one of mine. It's cheaper than an AR, more accurate, shoots just as fast on semi auto, shoots a much larger and more lethal bullet, and it's non restricted. You could go down to Canadian Tire or Cabela's right now and get one for $600 with the most basic gun license. There's plenty of other examples of similiar guns too.

I'm absolutely pro gun control, I just find blaming one weapon or one class of weapons to be a lazy argument.
It will also just about melt if you tried to shoot a 30 round mag threw it quickly, and if you got caught with that 30 round mag you would loose the gun and your gun licence forever.

In the states most people wouldn't buy these style guns if was restricted to 5 rounds, in the end it's not the gun, it's the amount of rounds they can shoot in a hurry
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2019, 03:37 PM   #742
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
It will also just about melt if you tried to shoot a 30 round mag threw it quickly, and if you got caught with that 30 round mag you would loose the gun and your gun licence forever.

In the states most people wouldn't buy these style guns if was restricted to 5 rounds, in the end it's not the gun, it's the amount of rounds they can shoot in a hurry
Agreed on all points there.

Last edited by btimbit; 08-11-2019 at 10:36 AM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 03:37 PM   #743
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
First, it's not real, the sign on top was a prank.

Second, I'd guess that rifle ownership in Alberta is probably way higher per capita than in the United States.

Third, other than the mass killings, rifles are very rarely used to kill people. Handguns kill people at 20x the rate and for some reason everyone focuses on rifles:

Deaths by handguns in the US: 5,562
Deaths by any kind of rifle:248

Deaths by knives:1,567
Blunt objects:435
Hand,fists,feet:660
https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...tables/table-4

Edmonton had a rough year in 2014, when 35 people died of homicides in Edmonton. Per capita that would translate to 12,000 in the United states.

Calgary had 26 in 2014, which would translate to 7,280 in the US population.

Both of those numbers are way above the per capita rate that people are murdered with guns in the US, and are probably on par with the murder rate as a whole in the US.

The point? US's gun problem is hand guns. Guns in general need to be eliminated to make any kind of difference. Mass shootings get the headlines, but they are not even registering as a significant risk of death, nor are the weapons of choice used in those crimes.
Those numbers don't seem right to me, roughly 40,000 people in the USA die by guns each year now.

The USA is just plain crazy

Old 08-10-2019, 04:38 PM   #744
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Those numbers don't seem right to me, roughly 40,000 people in the USA die by guns each year now.

The USA is just plain crazy

It was 2014 numbers from here. https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s..._2010-2014.xls

Which is the latest it goes. Not sure why it doesn't match your chart for 2014, but things did go up from 2014-17.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 05:11 PM   #745
Red Potato Standing By
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Another big problem is, as soon as you say gun control a lot of gun owners automatically default to thinking it means banning guns or the government is going to come and take their guns.
Red Potato Standing By is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 07:58 PM   #746
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zethrynn View Post
Another big problem is, as soon as you say gun control a lot of gun owners automatically default to thinking it means banning guns or the government is going to come and take their guns.
Some do sure but I haven't seen many say that
Old 08-10-2019, 08:39 PM   #747
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Some do sure but I haven't seen many say that
The pure hicks say it over and over.
Old 08-10-2019, 08:52 PM   #748
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The pure hicks say it over and over.
Makes sense, I generally ignore the opinions of people with so few brain cells though.

What interests me is the politicians and so called educated people that rally against gun control while bringing up the worst points possible and sensationalizing everything. I can't stand hot button issues like this because nobody on either side wants to discuss it like adults, they just scream and yell
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2019, 10:37 AM   #749
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Somehow missed this part yesterday

they make a full auto version (although obviously not in Canada, and it's incredibly hard to shoot) and that's not a 30 round magazine, it's a 5/20, which means it's a 20 round magazine modified by the manufacturer to only fit 5 rounds. Perfectly legal, in fact it's the one the gun comes with. I prefer it because it's easier to get a grip on to rock in and out. Also looks better

Last edited by btimbit; 08-11-2019 at 10:43 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2019, 11:56 AM   #750
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Somehow missed this part yesterday

they make a full auto version (although obviously not in Canada, and it's incredibly hard to shoot) and that's not a 30 round magazine, it's a 5/20, which means it's a 20 round magazine modified by the manufacturer to only fit 5 rounds. Perfectly legal, in fact it's the one the gun comes with. I prefer it because it's easier to get a grip on to rock in and out. Also looks better
By modified you mean a rivet? lol
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2019, 12:08 PM   #751
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
It was 2014 numbers from here. https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s..._2010-2014.xls

Which is the latest it goes. Not sure why it doesn't match your chart for 2014, but things did go up from 2014-17.
Problem with the FBI is they rarely get all the local info unless it's a massive crime, for instance from your link they didn't know what type of firearm murdered 1959 people in 2014.

People who take the time to compile stats from sites like gunviolencearchive get true numbers
Old 08-11-2019, 12:28 PM   #752
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Yang broke down in tears for a moment while on stage in Iowa. He had just listened to a story from a mother who lost a child in a shooting.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 12:40 PM   #753
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

wrong thread..

Last edited by Thor; 08-11-2019 at 12:43 PM.
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 02:07 PM   #754
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Yang broke down in tears for a moment while on stage in Iowa. He had just listened to a story from a mother who lost a child in a shooting.
Looked like he was being compassionate, went to give her a hug, put himself in her shoes for a minute and just lost it.

I'm not sure if that is good or bad for him politically, but it seems to me anyone who is less likely to vote for him because of that reaction is a total a-hole. I'm really getting to like Yang.... I still don't think he can win, but as I said in another thread he may have some staying power as he's clearly very intelligent, has a lot of support online and is talking about totally different problems than the rest of the field.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2019, 02:44 PM   #755
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Haha, sadly those ones do exist. All mine are legit and can't be modified back to full capacity, but the amount of illegal ones out there that can be modded is disgusting. I love guns but am absolutely in favour of nailing people that own illegal parts to the wall
Old 08-11-2019, 02:44 PM   #756
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

I love that reaction, how its possible more people aren't reacting like this considering all these murdered children, and talking heads minus the rare few are just talking points and not showing any real human feelings.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:12 AM   #757
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I just spent a few days in Northern Idaho - guns are everywhere. AR rifles for sale at Walmart for $400-$500. I saw this ad from a local realtor:

troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 09:27 AM   #758
Envitro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
No, most STANAG magazines (i.e. for AR15 type semi-autos) in Canada don't have rivets, and are manufactured to physically not accept more than 5 rounds. There's an actual stop plate or crimp in the body.

Again, if someone wants to do an illegal act, they'll go and procure an illegal firearm with an illegal magazine.
Envitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 11:18 AM   #759
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 11:39 AM   #760
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envitro View Post
No, most STANAG magazines (i.e. for AR15 type semi-autos) in Canada don't have rivets, and are manufactured to physically not accept more than 5 rounds. There's an actual stop plate or crimp in the body.

Again, if someone wants to do an illegal act, they'll go and procure an illegal firearm with an illegal magazine.
lol, yeah because all criminals are masterminds that plan out their criminal activity days, weeks and months in advance to minimize any evidence left behind. And what criminal doesn't know a local gunrunner? Screw going to Wal-Mart with gunrunners so readily available. Not to mention most illegal guns start as legal ones.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote