Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-24-2019, 11:15 PM   #3501
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
The theaters make very little of the box office. The concession stand is where their profits exist
This is incorrect. In North America the BO is essentially shared between theatre owner and film distributor.

Calculating a films ultimate profitability is challenging as hell. Shared box office revenue (which work differently internationally), production costs, marketing costs and then future revenue streams like licensing to networks and streaming services. Disney needs content for their streaming service for example.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 12:32 AM   #3502
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why hasn’t this been posted yet? I’m so excited! I didn’t know it until now but a Jewish Maori playing Hitler is the one thing that has been missing from my life.

My only issue with the trailer is wondering how stupid society has become if an obvious satire needs to be marketed as a satire.
Old 07-25-2019, 07:31 AM   #3503
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This looks terrifying.

manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 08:18 AM   #3504
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post

Why hasn’t this been posted yet? I’m so excited! I didn’t know it until now but a Jewish Maori playing Hitler is the one thing that has been missing from my life.

My only issue with the trailer is wondering how stupid society has become if an obvious satire needs to be marketed as a satire.
Oh. My. Crap.

That looks brilliant.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 11:14 AM   #3505
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Loved the first one. Here's hoping #2 is on the same level.
Old 07-25-2019, 12:15 PM   #3506
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The first one was so brilliant, I'm looking forward to the sequel.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 12:18 PM   #3507
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
In North America the BO is essentially shared between theatre owner and film distributor.
Typically the initial split is 60-40 in favuor of the studio. The big blockbusters however? Those mega Marvel Movies? The first opening week(ends) are sometimes 90% for the studio. The split evens out the longer the movie stays. By week four, five, six, your local Cineplex makes more from Spider-Man than if you went the first week.

Movie theatres wouldn't survive on ticket sales alone.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 01:00 PM   #3508
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Typically the initial split is 60-40 in favuor of the studio. The big blockbusters however? Those mega Marvel Movies? The first opening week(ends) are sometimes 90% for the studio. The split evens out the longer the movie stays. By week four, five, six, your local Cineplex makes more from Spider-Man than if you went the first week.

I thought the discussion was about how film companies make their money and measure profitability of a film. Not how the theatre owner makes their money.

The splits are complicated and further impacted by various premium viewing options.
Old 07-25-2019, 01:09 PM   #3509
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I thought the discussion was about how film companies make their money and measure profitability of a film. Not how the theatre owner makes their money.
I responded directly to one thing "blankall" said, about how movie theatres make profits. You replied to that post. Message board discussions tend to splinter and go off on similar topics. Mine had clearly branched to talk about the profitability of the theatres specifically.
Old 07-25-2019, 02:02 PM   #3510
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I responded directly to one thing "blankall" said, about how movie theatres make profits. You replied to that post. Message board discussions tend to splinter and go off on similar topics. Mine had clearly branched to talk about the profitability of the theatres specifically.
Then you need to go back and read blankall’s post as he is talking about a film’s (Solo’s) profitability which has nothing to do with popcorn. He is not talking about the theatre in this case.
Old 07-25-2019, 02:16 PM   #3511
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Then you need to go back and read blankall’s post as he is talking about a film’s (Solo’s) profitability which has nothing to do with popcorn. He is not talking about the theatre in this case.
In discussing how movies turn a profit he said most of the box office goes to the movie theatre. I am saying no, that's not true. What he was posting about doesn't matter as I was just correcting that one sliver of detail.
Old 07-25-2019, 03:00 PM   #3512
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
For North American box office the studios only get about half of the box office, the rest largely going to the theatre. For international box office the share is typically less than half to the studios.

A movie needs to make over twice it's budget at the box office to break even. Solo was a huge loss. Especially as budget doesn't include marketing, and the marketing push was quite large for Solo.
Quote:
In discussing how movies turn a profit he said most of the box office goes to the movie theatre. I am saying no, that's not true. What he was posting about doesn't matter as I was just correcting that one sliver of detail.
No he was pretty accurate. Especially over time even if splits are different for opening tent poles.

I wouldn’t say theatres see “little” of the box office.
Old 07-25-2019, 03:06 PM   #3513
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

At least you followed along this time!
Old 07-25-2019, 03:14 PM   #3514
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
At least you followed along this time!
I was able to follow along pretty well the whole time but hey, enjoy your popcorn and back to the trailers.
Old 07-25-2019, 03:36 PM   #3515
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
This is incorrect. In North America the BO is essentially shared between theatre owner and film distributor.

Calculating a films ultimate profitability is challenging as hell. Shared box office revenue (which work differently internationally), production costs, marketing costs and then future revenue streams like licensing to networks and streaming services. Disney needs content for their streaming service for example.

Once you factor in that a lot of the expenses is just money being shuffled between companies owned by the same people, it basically turns into voodoo.

This image shows how you can cook the books to show that the last Harry Potter movie lost $167M, while actually grossing ~$1B (at least according to Wiki).

e: look at "Negative cost and /or advance" and "interest" for $316M and $58M, this was likely the studio lending itself money at enormous interest rates in order to help squash the net profits.

Last edited by Matata; 07-25-2019 at 03:54 PM.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 04:18 PM   #3516
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:

50% is the rough rule for the studios share. There have a been a few high end movies, where the studios have demanded 90% from theaters. However, foreign take is typically much less than 50%.

But yes, you're correct, front loaded movies tend to make more for the studios, than movies with legs.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2019, 11:47 AM   #3517
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

This looks great. I really like the trend of arty horror recently.

9.8 rating after 52 reviews following it's debut at Cannes.

Last edited by AC; 07-30-2019 at 11:49 AM.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2019, 07:41 AM   #3518
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2019, 08:29 AM   #3519
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
"The Irishman*"

*starring 3 Italians....

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 08:41 AM   #3520
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
"The Irishman*"

*starring 3 Italians....
I can't wait for the cries of cultural misappropriation.
you&me is online now   Reply With Quote