Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of the trade after a week of getting your head around it?
Love it, think Lucic is an upgrade 109 16.80%
Like it, clears some cap space even if Lucic is no better 197 30.35%
Indifferent, both teams getting a failed project 187 28.81%
Dislike it, Neal needed another year to bounce back 107 16.49%
Hate it, Neal will be better in Edmonton 49 7.55%
Voters: 649. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-20-2019, 09:58 PM   #1741
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
My prediction for Lucic: $5 million Hathaway.
So our best penalty killer, top in hits, miserable to play against, relentless motor, unmatched work ethic, chip on shoulder, draws penalties, scrum after every whistle?

If Lucic can even match 3 of those Hathaway qualities we won the trade. James Neal couldnt come close to getting one.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CsInMyBlood For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2019, 09:59 PM   #1742
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I'm kind of obsessed with the idea of signing Pat Maroon all of a sudden.
Talbot, I’m curious about.
Lucic, I’m excited about.
But three Oilers? That’s where I put my foot down.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 10:03 PM   #1743
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Three seemed to be the sweet spot for former Hurricanes. Three times a charm and all that
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 10:05 PM   #1744
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CsInMyBlood View Post
So our best penalty killer, top in hits, miserable to play against, relentless motor, unmatched work ethic, chip on shoulder, draws penalties, scrum after every whistle?

If Lucic can even match 3 of those Hathaway qualities we won the trade. James Neal couldnt come close to getting one.
Well, Lucic isn’t any of those things. But even if Hathaway was other teams cheer when he was on the ice cause he wasn’t very good.

I can’t wait to read by the end of the summer how Lucic is going to turn his game around and be a good NHLer.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 10:11 PM   #1745
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Well, Lucic isn’t any of those things. But even if Hathaway was other teams cheer when he was on the ice cause he wasn’t very good.
Hathaway? He was very good last year for the Flames, a positive force in most aspects. Wasn't our best penalty killer but his line with Ryan and Mangiapane carried us at points down the stretch.

Quote:
I can’t wait to read by the end of the summer how Lucic is going to turn his game around and be a good NHLer
Look at you! Smart man discovers contradictory nature of sports fans!

Ladies, form an orderly queue.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rando For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2019, 10:13 PM   #1746
TheOnlyBilko
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Guys like Gaudreau calling Lucic tells me the Flames top to bottom really wanted Neal gone
How does Gaudreau calling Lucic, probably just to welcome him to the team, have any meaning "the Flames top to bottom really wanted Neal gone"?

Like I'm sure many Oilers called Jimmy Carson & Bernie Nicholls back in the day as well...

Last edited by TheOnlyBilko; 07-20-2019 at 10:16 PM.
TheOnlyBilko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 10:15 PM   #1747
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaMatt View Post
My guess is that folks who had hoped Neal could rebound are disappointed that BT essentially gave up on him. I imagine these posters are concerned that BT sold Neal at the lowest possible point (in terms of value).

There have been a number of Neal-for-Lucic trade suggestions over the course of the 2018/2019 season...none of these suggestions were met with a particularly positive response, even when a 1st round pick was thrown in.
I still think there is a good chance that Neal rebounds. One bad season isn't the best way to judge a player's overall ability, so yeah, that part of the deal bugs me.

But I also think Lucic brings a needed element to the Flames. As long as the move is a net positive, then I am happy. If it helps the Oilers too, that is unfortunate I guess but nothing we can worry about.

The whole NMC thing is something not even worth worrying about at this point IMO. Lucic seems like a team player and he knows the implications if he makes the Flames use a protection slot on him. No one wants to be the reason the team has to say good-bye to a good young player if there is no realistic chance you get selected in the expansion draft anyway. That would just be a dick move. It would put a cloud over him for the rest of his tenure.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 07-20-2019 at 10:30 PM.
FlamesAddiction is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 10:16 PM   #1748
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

[QUOTE=TheOnlyBilko;7165940][QUOTE=Bingo] Guys like Gaudreau calling Lucic tells me the Flames top to bottom really wanted Neal gone
Quote:

How does Gaudreau calling Lucic, probably just to welcome him to the team, have any meaning "the Flames top to bottom really wanted Neal gone"?

Like I'm sure many Oilers called Jimmy Carson & Bernie Nicholls back in the day as well...
I believe he called to help convince him to waive the NMC, meaning it was before the trade
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PugnaciousIntern For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2019, 10:34 PM   #1749
TheOnlyBilko
Scoring Winger

Exp:
icon54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racki View Post
It’s a long thread and I’m sure it’s been mentioned a bunch but what sticks out the most to me, despite my concerns about this trade is how excited the Flames (past and present) seem to be about adding Lucic.

I’m not sure if that’s really about the Lucic addition or the Neal subtraction? Maybe a little from column A and a little from column B ?
Huh? Your not sure if it's about the addition of Lucic? So guys like Iginla, McGratton and so on are saying they are excited about Lucic on the flames because they don't totally mean it, it's because Neal is gone as well? You really think that?

Edit- now that I heard about Johnny, you could be right haha ��

Last edited by TheOnlyBilko; 07-20-2019 at 10:49 PM.
Old 07-20-2019, 10:36 PM   #1750
TheOnlyBilko
Scoring Winger

Exp:

[QUOTE=PugnaciousIntern;7165942][QUOTE=TheOnlyBilko;7165940]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo
Guys like Gaudreau calling Lucic tells me the Flames top to bottom really wanted Neal gone
Quote:
Originally Posted by PugnaciousIntern View Post
I believe he called to help convince him to waive the NMC, meaning it was before the trade
Gaudreau called Lucic to convince him to waive his NMC?? WOW!!! Never heard that I thought it was Iginla!! That's really amazing then

Last edited by TheOnlyBilko; 07-20-2019 at 10:38 PM.
Old 07-20-2019, 10:41 PM   #1751
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

[QUOTE=TheOnlyBilko;7165950][QUOTE=PugnaciousIntern;7165942]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOnlyBilko View Post

Gaudreau called Lucic to convince him to waive his NMC?? WOW!!! Never heard that I thought it was Iginla!! That's really amazing then
It was both of them, and Giordano, and the coach and GM

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2019, 10:43 PM   #1752
TheOnlyBilko
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
I mean, they've won 1 playoff game in 3 years and 4 rounds in 30.

Oh wow why did you have to say that? How depressing...
Old 07-20-2019, 10:43 PM   #1753
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hmmm
Quote:

I'm kind of obsessed with the idea of signing Pat Maroon all of a sudden.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Three seemed to be the sweet spot for former Hurricanes. Three times a charm and all that
Put Bennett at Center and that’s one of the heaviest lines in the league though they would all be LH shots and I’m not sure how Lucic or Maroon play their off wing; plus the penalty trouble for that line is scary to consider.

Trade Frolik for pick/picks
Buyout Stone if u can’t trade for late pick
Trade Brodie + Jankowski + picks for a legit 2nd line RW
Trade Czarnik for a pick
Sign remaining RFA’s
If Cap space permitted Sign Maroon to a similar 1 year deal as last year

Not sure if the could be a cap compliant team but that 3rd line combined for 500 + hits last year.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Tkachuk - Backlund - Gallagher (example)
Lucic - Bennett - Maroon
Mangiapane - Ryan - Dube

Giordano - Andersson
Hanifin - Hamonic
Valimaki - Yelesin
Kylington

Rittich
Talbot

Last edited by Heavy Jack; 07-20-2019 at 10:46 PM.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 10:44 PM   #1754
TheOnlyBilko
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

It was both of them, and Giordano, and the coach and GM
Wow very interesting, I heard the others not sure how I missed Johnny, that says a lot I guess...
Old 07-20-2019, 10:50 PM   #1755
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Come to think of it, we could use a guy like Lucic since we've got Reaves and E. Kane to deal with (assuming we play them in the playoffs).
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 10:54 PM   #1756
My2Cents
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Imagine being that upset over trading a crappy overpaid winger for a crappy overpaid winger.

Treliving on the hot seat? Worst trade in history? Holy crap! I totally understand not liking Lucic, I don't either, but the levels some people have taken this is insane, and frankly more entertaining than the trade itself.

It doesn't make the team better or worse on the ice
From a player for player perspective I completely agree. Garbage for garbage. However we are saving 500k in cap space so that has to be worth something. This trade doesn’t move the needle much either way.

What I do really like, is that Lucic seems to have accepted he is a bottom 6 and embraces it and wants to do better but understands where he is at. He’s got the right attitude. Neal on the other hand is likely going into next season thinking he is a top 6 that wasn’t given a chance. So if he can’t stick in the top 6 they have a completely disgruntled player.
My2Cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 10:56 PM   #1757
Dajazz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

My main gripe is that Lucic has “proven” himself as potentially the worst contract in the NHL cap era. He has had several years to establish himself as the most overpaid player in the league.

Neal has one #### season and BT trades him for what every pundit, fan and writer calls an “untradeable” contract.

He’s betting on that Neal, in one single summer, after consecutive SC finals forgot to play hockey to a level that makes him as untradeable as Lucic.

12 months ago he ####ing signed the guy for a five year contract. Really? Where is the due diligence if he actually forgot to play hockey, or damaged himself beyond repair?

This is what pisses me off. I think he completely ducked up on the value side of the deal. Sure, last year both Neal and Lucic sucked, but that Lucic contract has been laughed at from day one. The Neal deal was actually praised league wide. One year later, BT trades Neal for the worst contract in the league. Ok Brad.
Old 07-20-2019, 10:57 PM   #1758
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post

I can’t wait to read by the end of the summer how Lucic is going to turn his game around and be a good NHLer.
The Oilers got James Neal who is dog#### though, so there is always that.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 11:00 PM   #1759
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajazz View Post
My main gripe is that Lucic has “proven” himself as potentially the worst contract in the NHL cap era. He has had several years to establish himself as the most overpaid player in the league.

Neal has one #### season and BT trades him for what every pundit, fan and writer calls an “untradeable” contract.

He’s betting on that Neal, in one single summer, after consecutive SC finals forgot to play hockey to a level that makes him as untradeable as Lucic.

12 months ago he ####ing signed the guy for a five year contract. Really? Where is the due diligence if he actually forgot to play hockey, or damaged himself beyond repair?

This is what pisses me off. I think he completely ducked up on the value side of the deal. Sure, last year both Neal and Lucic sucked, but that Lucic contract has been laughed at from day one. The Neal deal was actually praised league wide. One year later, BT trades Neal for the worst contract in the league. Ok Brad.
That's what leads me to believe there's something major going on behind the scenes. What else would cause Treliving to give up on Neal for what I'm assuming was the only offer on the table
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 11:00 PM   #1760
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

We were the second highest scoring team even with Neal playing terrible. Adding goals isn’t really a necessity. There’s limited ice time to go out adding a 20 goal scoring 3rd liner probably isn’t realistic nor needed. We need a Lucic. I still don’t like this trade though. Maroon would of been a better addition.
Patek23 is offline   Reply With Quote