Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 03:00 PM   #1561
StoneCole
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Who does Sherman roll with?
Shermantor was actually a founding member of the original Foot Clan dating back to the Hellard Field days.

Something went down in the early days that neither present-day Foot Clan nor Foot Soldiers like to discuss. Shermanator splintered off under a cloud of lies and deception, and took most of the original Foot Clan with him to form what's now known as the Foot Soldiers.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:26 PM   #1562
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

But he left Shredder in charge?
Old 07-11-2019, 06:38 PM   #1563
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Simply, I think the Whitecaps were physically gassed. Altitude or what have you, the Cavs wingers keep going up and down the sidelines while Vancouver eventually took a team approach to defense rather then risking continuing to be losing the 1 on1s (even in the middle of the park, where they were physically superior, stature wise) because of the fatigue.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:22 PM   #1564
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

If anyone wants to compare atmosphere, here's a vlog from the York 9 / Impact game. I want someone to do one of these for the Cavalry pre / post game...

Sidenote, I think that main stand at York Lions stadium is real nice. The rest...garbage...

Old 07-11-2019, 07:31 PM   #1565
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2019, 09:22 PM   #1566
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wednesday's game from the stands.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2019, 03:34 PM   #1567
Hockey-and_stuff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Cavs win with a late Minatel goal off a great run by Camargo. 2-0 in the new season.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockey-and_stuff For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2019, 03:54 PM   #1568
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

An ugly win, but a win nonetheless.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2019, 04:09 PM   #1569
Hockey-and_stuff
First Line Centre

Exp:

They looked pretty tired from Wednesday. It's not easy playing midweek then flying across the entire country to play in a tough environment.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockey-and_stuff For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2019, 10:03 PM   #1570
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whitecaps getting mauled tonight, lucky to be only 3. Also racking up the yellows with all of the defensive line accumulating one. Vancouver plays still 2 Mls games before the Cavs again, and the cards don't matter but the rest those guys have might.

Al Adnan with an own goal (technically 2 actually) and for every 1 good play he makes 4 terrible ones and like here, complains to the ref every time.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:35 AM   #1571
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice long form article on HFX Wanderers on Sportsnet.

Quote:
It’s a cold and drizzly afternoon. There’s not the slightest hint of sunshine, only grey skies above. And yet, there’s nothing but heat coming from The Kitchen, as members of the Privateers 1882 supporters group don’t let up for a single second. For 90 minutes, they scream, sing, chant and dance, and unleash canisters that pour thick clouds of blue smoke over the entire east stands. On the pitch below them, HFX Wanderers FC earn a 2–1 win over Forge FC in the home opener of their inaugural Canadian Premier League season before a sellout crowd of 6,113 fans.

Pro soccer has returned to Halifax after a nearly three-decade absence, and the city’s sports scene will never be the same.
https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/hali...s-fc-big-read/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2019, 09:15 PM   #1572
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

So in addition to Cavalry leading the CPL again...

...Calgary Foothills just won the NW division for the 3 time in the last 4 years after a 3-0 win over Victoria Highlanders this afternoon. I think they go to the usual four team Western Conference playoffs next weekend, but the USL League Two hasn't updated their website yet, so I have no idea who they play or where it is...and also...

...Calgary Foothills WFC are in the UWS national final next weekend against LA Galaxy Women, Indiana Union and Lancaster Inferno. At the game today Foothills announced that they would be hosting the UWS national final next weekend, although I cannot find anything to back that up.

The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2019, 10:14 PM   #1573
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Anyone know why the July 30th game against Forge at Spruce Meadows postponed? Just saw that on the schedule.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:17 PM   #1574
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post

This is in no way a put down on our supporters, but I definitely think Halifax is number in the league in supporters sections. With Cavalry in second, well above third.

Halifax has just really taken on CPL soccer like no one else. A perfect storm I guess, with the Maritimes booming like I've never seen in my lifetime while not having any professional sports to speak of, with grounded ticket pricing. It's so cool to see.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:22 PM   #1575
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Anyone know why the July 30th game against Forge at Spruce Meadows postponed? Just saw that on the schedule.

Forge are playing in the Concacaf League. You’d think that they would’ve picked a new date by now though.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:52 AM   #1576
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
This is in no way a put down on our supporters, but I definitely think Halifax is number in the league in supporters sections. With Cavalry in second, well above third.

Halifax has just really taken on CPL soccer like no one else. A perfect storm I guess, with the Maritimes booming like I've never seen in my lifetime while not having any professional sports to speak of, with grounded ticket pricing. It's so cool to see.
RUDE!

Kidding of course. I agree that Halifax has set the bar for the supporters section. I think Hamilton and Winnipeg have done very well also, although the atmosphere is hampered by playing in a CFL stadium.

I'm quite pleasantly surprised with how well the supporters scene has grown in Calgary during year one. Feels like a bit of a snowball effect right now, and that's a great thing for the rest of the year.

The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2019, 08:15 AM   #1577
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
RUDE!

Kidding of course. I agree that Halifax has set the bar for the supporters section. I think Hamilton and Winnipeg have done very well also, although the atmosphere is hampered by playing in a CFL stadium.

I'm quite pleasantly surprised with how well the supporters scene has grown in Calgary during year one. Feels like a bit of a snowball effect right now, and that's a great thing for the rest of the year.
Supporters sections "out-doing" each other is a win for everyone around. I get the sense that most teams want to have the best supporters sections. Fans see it on TV and it galvanizes them to attend games and get in the spirit - looks fun and is a raucous good time. The teams and league see growth in ticket sales and support.

I believe the supporters sections are just as critical to the growth of the league as the players and team management.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2019, 09:44 AM   #1578
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

We're getting big praise this morning on the CPL website:

Quote:
And, in any supporters’ section as intimidating as the Footsoldiers? That perch, behind the goal where the road team enters, the pitch, is loud. And intimidating. They were incredible through 90 minutes of Wednesday’s Canadian Championship match against the Vancouver Whitecaps. They’ve been known to heckle a certain Edmonton-based broadcaster (thanks, guys!). It’s the CPL version of the Kop.
https://canpl.ca/article/sandor-whic...-team-resemble

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2019, 10:08 AM   #1579
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

The punctuation on that second sentence is tilting tf out of me.
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2019, 10:09 AM   #1580
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Thanks for sharing, this was a fantastic read.

Since Sportsnet has purged their soccer staff I hope that CPL or Onesoccer picks some of these guys up. John Molinaro, Craig Forrest, and James Sharman are excellent at what they do and would be a huge boost to the league. That may be a pipe dream on my part but I’d love to see it happen
Closed Thread

Tags
2xchamps , canadian premier league , canpl , cavalry fc , fc edmonton is no good , fuforge