Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 07-11-2019, 08:19 PM   #201
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I wouldnt get your hopes up. My wife and I were in Canmore when Hometown Hockey was there and all it brought with it was crowds, traffic jams and an overall logistical nightmare.

But if standing in the street being forced to whoop and holler at gunpoint or with Ron threatening your dog with a chocolate bar is your idea of a grand ol' time then fill your boots.
Isn't that a good indication that it meant something to a lot of people in the community?
Old 07-11-2019, 08:27 PM   #202
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jordan’s just reminding all of us how much more super cool it is down there than back in his lame podunk home town
It’s his shtick
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2019, 09:09 PM   #203
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Probably more people with the same first name down there. That makes all the difference.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:03 PM   #204
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Jordan’s just reminding all of us how much more super cool it is down there than back in his lame podunk home town
It’s his shtick
He tries so hard, but his love for strip mall based eateries betrays the weight one should put into his opinions.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2019, 10:36 PM   #205
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouw N Arrow View Post
American Hockey Broadcasts > Canadian Hockey Broadcasts

Easily
This is not true. A lot of american broadcasts are amateur hour. IMO there's TSN all alone at the top and after that it's a steep drop to RSN and NBC.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2019, 04:13 PM   #206
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I wouldnt get your hopes up. My wife and I were in Canmore when Hometown Hockey was there and all it brought with it was crowds, traffic jams and an overall logistical nightmare.

But if standing in the street being forced to whoop and holler at gunpoint or with Ron threatening your dog with a chocolate bar is your idea of a grand ol' time then fill your boots.

I fully get where people are coming from. Ron's dad-joke level puns are grating at best... but I've literally been watching/hearing him since I became a fan of hockey. Definitely not above going fanboy for a celeb... could be worse. Rather Ron than bieber or nickleback.
cracher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 06:34 PM   #207
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

While I dislike hometown hockey and think Ron McLean sucks I’m not sure how you can judge that event in Canmore. It was like -40 and nothing could go on as scheduled. I was in Canmore that weekend for other reasons but the cold really ruined the event.

Last edited by TheAlpineOracle; 07-12-2019 at 07:38 PM.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 06:24 AM   #208
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I doubt any of those took the time to email Rogers and say “good move”.
I don’t think email traffic would be what they were measuring.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 06:25 AM   #209
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
American Hockey Broadcasts > Canadian Hockey Broadcasts

Easily
One of the most objectively wrong things I’ve read on here in quite a while.

Last edited by Strange Brew; 07-14-2019 at 09:35 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2019, 09:24 AM   #210
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I don’t think email traffic would be what they were measuring.
Well, I meant all of the actual direct feedback they got, but how do you think they measured it? I just think people who are mad are way more likely to voice an opinion than people who like the move or just don't care.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:34 AM   #211
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Well, I meant all of the actual direct feedback they got, but how do you think they measured it? I just think people who are mad are way more likely to voice an opinion than people who like the move or just don't care.
Monitoring social media? Isn’t that how all companies try to gauge public perception in this age?
Old 07-14-2019, 09:36 AM   #212
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Monitoring social media? Isn’t that how all companies try to gauge public perception in this age?
Maybe their Facebook or twitter, but probably not forums like this. And there, what I am talking about would definitely happen. Look at any politicians twitter comments. No matter who they are the comments about stuff they do is always majority negative.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:14 PM   #213
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
WTF???!!!

I live down here and there’s no way that’s true, even if sports net has issues.

Holy hell.

Mods may I suggest a permanent ban?
He's a troll, always has been. Almost all of his posts are passive aggressive remarks towards the Flames, Calgary and Canada. He's the weakest fan there is - one that gives up allegiance (the Flames).

They tend to be the most vocal and trollish fans in general, across all sports, I find.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2019, 09:23 AM   #214
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

NBC hockey broadcast beats all Canadian broadcasts. How many posters on here seek the US feed when they can get it?

Hardly his most trollish post.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 09:57 AM   #215
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
NBC hockey broadcast beats all Canadian broadcasts. How many posters on here seek the US feed when they can get it?

I actually think there's no better PBP guy than Ball. But Cuthbert, Highson (when there's no Canucks involved) and Miller are all good. NBC's Emrick is a guy that a lot of people like but I don't really see it. His voice is old timey, so I guess if you want a newer version of Foster Hewitt or Ed Whalen, great.

And there's really not that many colour people that I like so it doesn't matter. Hrudey is fine as a tandem with Ball because they get along so well, but he has his faults. The US guys are no better. Eddie O on NBC is pretty good.

But NBC has McGuire (yuck), Milbury, (bah), Boucher (meh), Jones (nah). They do have Roenick, which is always good. They also have a lot of part time guys who also work for TSN, so there's no US v. Canadian broadcast advantage there.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:20 AM   #216
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The last time I remember watching the US version of hockey was back in 2003 when CBC did not have HD yet. The US guys like Pierre are obsessed with “so and so was an All-American bla bla...”. Who cares? The intermission guys like Roenick are weak.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 11:43 AM   #217
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
It’s his shtick
I actually firmly believe that. I flip to Sportsnet broadcasted games all the time. It’s amateur hour in all levels of the production. Even compared to Fox Sports local broadcasts.

But alas. I’ll cool it a bit..
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:13 PM   #218
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I actually firmly believe that. I flip to Sportsnet broadcasted games all the time. It’s amateur hour in all levels of the production. Even compared to Fox Sports local broadcasts.

But alas. I’ll cool it a bit..
If you are using a certain broadcast team including Quinn, Remenda, and Principe as your measuring stick for RSN then you may have a case but the other ones are better than your typical Fox broadcast.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:21 PM   #219
Kolbe31
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post

I can't say I've seen much of NBC's pre/post-game or between period coverage, but when it comes to PBP, I think NBC is much better. If it's Emrick or Cuthbert with the call, I'm in. I do think as Flames fans we're incredibly lucky to have Ball for the majority of Flames games. He's very good, especially with Hrudey.
Kolbe31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:38 PM   #220
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolbe31 View Post
I can't say I've seen much of NBC's pre/post-game or between period coverage, but when it comes to PBP, I think NBC is much better. If it's Emrick or Cuthbert with the call, I'm in. I do think as Flames fans we're incredibly lucky to have Ball for the majority of Flames games. He's very good, especially with Hrudey.
I agree that Ball is a world class hockey PBP guy, as for Hrudey, I like his disposition, but his insights are not always the best. As for any broadcast team I think that the less whinny they are the better. No tandem is perfect, but I like what the flames have had over the last few years. Sportsnet as well, for inter period filler it could be worse.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bring back howie meeker , edmonton is no good. , old man yelling at clouds