Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-04-2019, 06:04 PM   #1601
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Liked Spider-Man FFH. Didn’t totally love it but very entertaining. The “blip” was played for laughs mainly which is fine with me, as really these movies don’t know what to do with something so consequential beyond superhero related events.

Maybe it was the villain that was kind of lacking for me. Cool idea and execution but the backstory was a little eye rolling.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 08:19 AM   #1602
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Christopher McQuarrie (director of Mission Impossible movies) just announced on Twitter he went to WB/DC with a Green Lantern script which was turned down and a pitch for a Superman movie with Henry Cavill and they passed on both. Being a DC fan is just exhausting
Nadal Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 04:36 PM   #1603
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Liked Spider-Man FFH. Didn’t totally love it but very entertaining. The “blip” was played for laughs mainly which is fine with me, as really these movies don’t know what to do with something so consequential beyond superhero related events.

Maybe it was the villain that was kind of lacking for me. Cool idea and execution but the backstory was a little eye rolling.
Really? I loved Mysterio I thought they did him great.
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 05:04 PM   #1604
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Mysterio is a tough character to do well and I thought they did it perfectly. He wasn’t complete baths!t crazy but just enough to know he wasn’t right in the head.

I really enjoyed it. On par with Homecoming. I thought Holland and Zendaya were really good together.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2019, 06:10 AM   #1605
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spider-man was great. Fun, light hearted, and incredibly well paced with solid web slinging action. I can’t even complain about the excessive CGI because of the brilliant writing. Holland has become the definitive Parker/Spidey and I can only describe Gyllenhaal’s performance as delightful. Oh and the mid credits scene possibly gave me an erection. 9/10.
Old 07-06-2019, 05:28 PM   #1606
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Definitely enjoyed Spider-Man, was a great lighter movie after Endgame. The writing and acting had a few rough edges in places but it was super entertaining and I laughed more than I have in quite a while.

Really curious to see how central Peter is to the next few phases of the MCU.
Old 07-07-2019, 10:10 AM   #1607
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
Really? I loved Mysterio I thought they did him great.
I liked the movie but his little toast to introduce the back story and other supporting characters just seemed a little cheesy to me.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:31 AM   #1608
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is this the best year ever for superhero movies? I know we ask the question every year but I think this could be the best, Shazam, Spidey and Avengers were all top notch and Cap Marvel was good as well, just not in that elite level as those 3.

Joker is still yet to come which is my most anticipated movie all year. The director just confirmed that the movie will be a totally original else worlds story that won't follow any comic book origin.
Nadal Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:35 AM   #1609
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Unfortunately we also got subpar Hellboy, Dark Phoenix and disappointing Glass.

Shazam, Spider-man and Avengers were all great though.
Old 07-08-2019, 11:07 AM   #1610
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Loved far from home

That Berlin scene was awesome, showcased mysterio perfectly, in an updated version of what he does in the comics

The last fight when he got his Peter tingle back was great too

The mid credits scene was *chefs kiss*

I just have no reason to doubt marvel, even their so called misses, thor 2/captain marvel/Ultron arent bad, just not great

It's so fun seeing the stuff from previous movies pay off, or even stuff that seems a bit weird during the movie get paid off at the end

During the movie, I was thinking it was a bit weird how a certain character let another trick him for so long, and then the 2nd post credits scene completely explains it, and sets up future stuff for the next phase

Also agreed on Holland being the definitive peter parker now, he just nails it. I hope hes spidey for another 10 years

Also think its smart theres a bit of a break now, I assume phase 4 or at least a few films get announced next week at SDCC, I bet they have some major casting news, wouldnt shock me to see Keanu and maybe villian for black pnather 2 and something with as-gotg3, but no movie until next February
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2019, 11:14 AM   #1611
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can we perhaps leave allusions to plot points of Spiderman out of the general comic book movie thread?

Make a Far From Home thread and mark it spoilers
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2019, 11:18 AM   #1612
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Far From Home was great.

I thought it would be a tough spot post Endgame but they kept the momentum going with a great Spiderman movie.

Spoiler!

And yeah the mid-credit scene and post-credit scene were perfect.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 11:40 AM   #1613
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I will be interesting to see where Spider-man goes now that the Marvel/Sony deal has expired. They can't use Spider-man in their own universe if they have a deal with Marvel so will they extend it and keep things going as they are or stop using MCU characters?

Last edited by KTrain; 07-08-2019 at 12:18 PM.
Old 07-08-2019, 11:58 AM   #1614
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

My guess is Sony will renew the deal.

They get all the revenue from the standalone Spiderman movies plus access to MCU characters.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 11:59 AM   #1615
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
Loved far from home

That Berlin scene was awesome, showcased mysterio perfectly, in an updated version of what he does in the comics

The last fight when he got his Peter tingle back was great too

The mid credits scene was *chefs kiss*

I just have no reason to doubt marvel, even their so called misses, thor 2/captain marvel/Ultron arent bad, just not great

It's so fun seeing the stuff from previous movies pay off, or even stuff that seems a bit weird during the movie get paid off at the end

During the movie, I was thinking it was a bit weird how a certain character let another trick him for so long, and then the 2nd post credits scene completely explains it, and sets up future stuff for the next phase

Also agreed on Holland being the definitive peter parker now, he just nails it. I hope hes spidey for another 10 years

Also think its smart theres a bit of a break now, I assume phase 4 or at least a few films get announced next week at SDCC, I bet they have some major casting news, wouldnt shock me to see Keanu and maybe villian for black pnather 2 and something with as-gotg3, but no movie until next February
I would guess they get another movie or two out of Holland and then go younger with Miles Morales taking over.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 12:16 PM   #1616
TheyCallMeBruce
Likes Cartoons

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
I will be interesting to see where Spider-man goes now that the Marvel/Sony deal has expired. They can't use Spider-man in their own universe if they have a deal with Marvel so will the extend it and keep things going as they are or stop using MCU characters?
They will most likely renew. Sony is begging Marvel to incorporate Venom into the MCU and Kevin Feige is open to that idea. At this point, there's a good possibility that Universal may even start getting deals done with Marvel (since Amy pascal is heading over there), thus releasing Hulk/She Hulk movies.
TheyCallMeBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 12:36 PM   #1617
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
My guess is Sony will renew the deal.

They get all the revenue from the standalone Spiderman movies plus access to MCU characters.
I think Sony will look at how the rest of their spinoffs go before agreeing to anything overly long-term. Venom, with $850 million in box office on a $100 million budget was a huge win.

If they can replicate that success with some of the other side characters, it might make more sense to spin off their own universe. That being said, some of their upcoming side projects really don't look all that great. Lesser known characters like Black Cat, Silver Sable, Morbius, Kraven etc.. are going to be harder sells than Venom.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 06:56 PM   #1618
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Is Far From Home like the other new Spider-Mans where the real hero is Tony Stark for designing such amazing suits or do they actually give credit to Spider-Mans abilities?
Mr.Coffee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 07:02 PM   #1619
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Is Far From Home like the other new Spider-Mans where the real hero is Tony Stark for designing such amazing suits or do they actually give credit to Spider-Mans abilities?
He’s not even in his suit for a lot of the movie
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 08:36 PM   #1620
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
It's a lot of Spider-Man this time. We even get to see some development on an ability of his I've been wanting to see how they 'do it' for a while now.
WhiteTiger is online now   Reply With Quote