Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-04-2019, 09:12 AM   #2221
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a hole booked for this afternoon at Cottonwood for that Golf Alberta event. I'm assuming the rain isn't going to let up any in three or four hours. I need to figure out if we want to drive all the way out there for a rain soaked afternoon.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 09:23 AM   #2222
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I have a hole booked for this afternoon at Cottonwood for that Golf Alberta event. I'm assuming the rain isn't going to let up any in three or four hours. I need to figure out if we want to drive all the way out there for a rain soaked afternoon.
Is this the rent-a-hole thing?
Let me know how it is, and what you thought of it.

I was thinking it might be fun to get a few guys together and play a golf version of HORSE. eg) Longest drive, longest putt, closest to pin with misc trick shot attempts, putting with a driver, longest drive with a putter, etc.
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 10:05 AM   #2223
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubc80 View Post
Is this the rent-a-hole thing?
Let me know how it is, and what you thought of it.

I was thinking it might be fun to get a few guys together and play a golf version of HORSE. eg) Longest drive, longest putt, closest to pin with misc trick shot attempts, putting with a driver, longest drive with a putter, etc.
Yeah it is the rent a hole. It sounds like a great idea and would be fun to do with the family or buddies. I don't think it is going to happen though. It is raining steadily in the NW and I assume it isn't much better in the south. Don't feel like making the 45 minute drive each way.
Old 07-04-2019, 11:19 AM   #2224
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wouldn't you rather just play a round of golf?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 01:46 PM   #2225
EuKnoLikeMonny
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I emailed and cancelled this morning, no way my group was going to make it out. Also, you'd think they wouldn't want (presumably) a bunch of hacks out there tearing up the course either in this condition?
EuKnoLikeMonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 02:44 PM   #2226
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Wouldn't you rather just play a round of golf?
Not if you are doing an event that has the main goal of introducing new players to the game.
Old 07-04-2019, 05:50 PM   #2227
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

So we actually went down to Cottonwood today. The rain stopped at the University around noon so we took out chances down south. It was a great time. Not many families/groups showed up so we had the course pro out with us and he was trying to teach the kids a few things. It was well worth it and I'll certainly check it out if they do it again next year.
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2019, 11:10 PM   #2228
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hmmm, had an interesting experience at Water Valley today, wonder what you guys think.

I've been going to WV for years with some friends. We started with a foursome about 10 years ago and it has steadily grown to 12 last year then suddenly 16 this year.

Last year we were not allowed to book 3 tee times in a row. After some discussion, they allowed us 2 times in a row, then a third time 20 minutes later even though the slots were free. It wasn't ideal but we managed OK.

This year, when we had 16 wanting to go, we decided to use their "advanced booking" feature which allowed us our 4 times in a row and we could book earlier than a week in advance. Cost for the advanced booking is $18 more than the regular green fee per person, but comes with a small bucket of balls and a $10 pro shop voucher.

My friend and I worked it all out where we would use the vouchers for prizes along with several sleeves of balls that were donated. Another friend lives in Water Valley and offered to host a BBQ afterwards.

So after the guys finished their round, they handed us their scorecard so we could figure out prize winners, and headed out to the BBQ. The last round finished at around 6:45.

We spent about 15 minutes adding scores and figuring out prizes before we would head out to the BBQ. This is when my friend told me there was a huge issue - the pro shop vouchers were good for today only. Nowhere on the site or the contract was this specified. This was a huge surprise. They also told us the pro shop would likely close at 8pm. By this time it was after 7 and everyone but the two of us were at the bbq.

We went to the pro shop to see if they could extend the vouchers since we were never told they would expire that day. They would not budge. They called the manager and the owner. The manager claimed she told us (she did not), and the owner also would not relent. They agreed it is not written in the contract but simply said that it was a rule and they would not make an exception. In the end my friend had to use the vouchers to buy stuff for himself and we ended up giving out cash instead of vouchers for prizes.

The wholr experience soured me on Water Valley and I honestly don't know if I want to go back though I love the course. What do you think?
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:05 AM   #2229
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Water Valley is a great course, but its run by some terrible people. From marshals to pro shop staff.. I only keep going back because its a good price and a nice course.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:09 AM   #2230
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

seems pretty chintzy of the WV pro shop to do that. But i guess you now know for the future.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:17 AM   #2231
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Water Valley is a great course, but its run by some terrible people. From marshals to pro shop staff.. I only keep going back because its a good price and a nice course.
Had an issue with the marshal there before. He kept hounding us to hurry up but we were waiting at each tee for the old folks in front of us.

We ended up ignoring him and he eventually found someone else to hassle.
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:26 AM   #2232
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianman View Post
Had an issue with the marshal there before. He kept hounding us to hurry up but we were waiting at each tee for the old folks in front of us.

We ended up ignoring him and he eventually found someone else to hassle.
Yah i've had the same issue. I guess he wanted us to hit into the group in front of us for reasons?
Old 07-11-2019, 02:15 PM   #2233
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

I would find a different course to play. With the economy where it's at there are plenty of options out there, and lots of courses are willing to bend over backwards to get people in. 16 guys is pretty decent, so I would even call around to the private courses and see what they offer. I know Cottonwood will bust out the kneepads to get tournaments in during the day, so maybe try that angle.

At the end of the day that's pretty chincy and a bad way to lose a bunch of business over $160 in pro shop vouchers on items marked up sky high to begin with. I know Golf Town actually owns a pile of the inventory you find in the pro shops, so you might want to message them and ask if they own WV's pro shop stock and explain what happened.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 04:04 PM   #2234
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone done a Scotland golf trip?

Looking for some tips as I am planning one for May next year.

Only thing really is we want to play the Old Course, so I will be going in the Ballot for that. And we don't want to drive around too much so thinking of sticking to the St. Andrews area and the East Lothian area. But I am open to ideas.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:45 PM   #2235
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm going around the end of May for a buddy's 40th.

We are balloting and booking around that.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:49 PM   #2236
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
I'm going around the end of May for a buddy's 40th.

We are balloting and booking around that.
Yah that is the plan we have too.
Old 07-16-2019, 02:57 PM   #2237
Voodooman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
It's been surly since day 1. The owners don't really seem to want anyone to play there, which seems counter intuitive to running a golf course, but they are Alberta farmers, so cash is not an issue. It's a beautiful track and could be a gem, but they are just such a nightmare to deal with. Take your money somewhere they'll appreciate it.
Voodooman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Voodooman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2019, 07:00 PM   #2238
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Does anyone else feel like golf skill has gone way down hill on courses this season? Maybe I just noticed less past years, but man it feels like almost every round isn't bogged down so much by the number of groups on the course but 2 or 3 groups of at least one "20 foot whacker", screwing up the whole flow.

To make it worse it seems so many guys hit it 10 feet left or right of the fairway and are only missing a safari hat to embark on their mission. I wish they had shorter pace of play times as the day goes on. 12pm on a Saturday afternoon should be a different pace of play than 4:50 on a Tuesday afternoon with mostly twoseomes on the course. But lately the latter seems to be just as slow.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:02 PM   #2239
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Does anyone else feel like golf skill has gone way down hill on courses this season? Maybe I just noticed less past years, but man it feels like almost every round isn't bogged down so much by the number of groups on the course but 2 or 3 groups of at least one "20 foot whacker", screwing up the whole flow.

To make it worse it seems so many guys hit it 10 feet left or right of the fairway and are only missing a safari hat to embark on their mission. I wish they had shorter pace of play times as the day goes on. 12pm on a Saturday afternoon should be a different pace of play than 4:50 on a Tuesday afternoon with mostly twoseomes on the course. But lately the latter seems to be just as slow.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:12 PM   #2240
2ArmBands
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post

Outside of league play I simply won’t tee it up after 8:30 on the weekends. I might play twilight but you won’t catch me out there between 9-2. Just not worth it. Not to say that every round is slow at those times but more often than not it’s a mess...

I’ve played in a league for 3 years now and you can’t beat it. Everyone seems to know someone and that really helps police pace of play. Also, it doesn’t hurt that most are enthusiastic golfers...
2ArmBands is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow