Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-03-2019, 12:24 PM   #21
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Calgary is a winter city! Scooters may be great in Mogadishu, but they will never work here!

This is a driving city, we should be investing in raised freeways in Kensington and rebates for SUV purchases!
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2019, 12:47 PM   #22
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've seen them in various US cities and people just toss them and leaving them all over the place like garbage. Also never seen a single person wear a helmet as required.

https://www.apnews.com/33f376b91e5945efbcbb2c460b1d0dcc

Boom in electric scooters leads to more injuries, fatalities

“These scooters should not be available to the public,” Hardy said. “Those things are like a death wish.”

As stand-up electric scooters have rolled into more than 100 cities worldwide, many of the people riding them are ending up in the emergency room with serious injuries. Others have been killed.

“On the sidewalks of Paris, it’s a total madhouse. We pedestrians are totally insecure,” she told Le Parisien newspaper.

Bird, one of the largest scooter-sharing companies, dropped its scooters on the streets of Santa Monica, California, in September 2017 and within a few months riders were showing up at the emergency room, according to Dr. Tarak Trivedi, an emergency room physician in Los Angeles and co-author of one of the first peer-reviewed studies of scooter injuries. The following year, Trivedi and his colleagues counted 249 scooter injuries, and more than 40% were head injuries. Just 4% were wearing a helmet.

https://mashable.com/article/cdc-e-s...-head-helmets/

Nearly half of e-scooter injuries involve head trauma, CDC study says

The researchers identified 271 people with potential e-scooter-related injuries during the study. Further analysis of the report combined the number of confirmed injuries (160) with other probable injuries (32). Of those 190 injured riders, 48 percent experienced injuries to the head.

Furthermore, 70 percent of these riders suffered injuries to their upper limbs such as their hands, wrists, arms, and shoulders. Fifty-five percent experienced injuries to their lower limbs.

The study also found that about half of the injured riders suffered a severe injury, meaning bone fractures, severe bleeding, long hospital stays, or organ damage. Broken bones were slightly more common on riders' arms (11 percent) than their legs (6 percent), according to the study.

But what really stands out: less than one percent of riders were wearing a helmet when they were injured.

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 12:50 PM   #23
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ yeah I've used them a bunch of times and didn't have a helmet. I realise that's not particularly smart, but to be honest I barely gave it a second thought.

That said, I sort of keep track of people riding bikes on the pathway without a helmet and depending on when, it's shockingly close to 50-50. Let's face it...humans aren't that bright.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 12:51 PM   #24
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Probably won't be long until we get moped sharing too. Has just started in New York and they're having huge concerns over driver safety as it's not just get on an go like a bike for first time riders. They do provide helmets though, but I'm not sure I want to throw on a helmet someone else's sweaty head was just in.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 01:00 PM   #25
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Riders aren't the only people getting injured, pedestrians getting bowled over like pins of course. Nevermind the requirement for them to not be used on sidewalks.

Old 07-03-2019, 01:00 PM   #26
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Might put more traffic in the bike lanes which should further justify the need for cycle/alternative transportation infrastructure. Unfortunately, I'm picturing the bike lanes choked full of abandoned scooters in short order.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 01:05 PM   #27
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

If people can't be bothered to even just put a helmet on, I can't imagine them using bike lanes.
Old 07-03-2019, 01:08 PM   #28
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
^ yeah I've used them a bunch of times and didn't have a helmet. I realise that's not particularly smart, but to be honest I barely gave it a second thought.

That said, I sort of keep track of people riding bikes on the pathway without a helmet and depending on when, it's shockingly close to 50-50. Let's face it...humans aren't that bright.
Biking on a MUP around the river with no helmet is probably far less dangerous than riding a scooter on sidewalks without one.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2019, 01:11 PM   #29
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
If people can't be bothered to even just put a helmet on, I can't imagine them using bike lanes.
That would require actually walking around with a helmet all day in case you end up using a Bird.

Not exactly as un-bothersome as using a specific lane that's right there.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2019, 01:23 PM   #30
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Biking on a MUP around the river with no helmet is probably far less dangerous than riding a scooter on sidewalks without one.
Oh I agree, and I've gone and just plain forgotten my helmet so I'm not being hypocritical. But the reality is that we know so much more about head injuries and those issues, so I would figure the vast majority would wear a helmet. It's not what I see though.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 01:56 PM   #31
BigBrodieFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

The main reason I hate going to Austin TX is because of the E-Scooters. They are everywhere, and when you're trying to drive and someone on an E-Scooter is in front of you, it's pretty frustrating. Safety is a big factor of course, but since I don't ride one I just find them annoying.

https://www.consumerreports.org/prod...n-were-severe/

Quote:
A study finds that 160 riders were injured in a three-month period
Quote:
The study, from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the city of Austin's health department, adds to the growing research about e-scooters, which arrived in cities in late 2017 and have spread rapidly ever since. Research so far has found that a majority of riders don't wear helmets, and many of those who are injured face significant injuries.
(duh)
BigBrodieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 02:05 PM   #32
wireframe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
The biggest issue are not the scooters, it's that people suck and are dumb. Like this morning, I'm on the path going down the bluff and some moron left a Lime bike blocking half the pathway right at the top at a narrow section. It could have gone anywhere else, but no, dummy was done with it, so left it there. I've seen lots of them left in the most careless places. We don't deserve these things.
I think that bike in your way was probably an attempt at marketing by the Lime company.

I see a lot of those bikes left in the middle of the path. It doesn't make sense for someone to ride the bike halfway to their destination, leave it in the middle of the path, and walk the rest of the way.

I know that Lime picks lot so bikes up at night with a truck to move them to different parts of the city. I have no data to back this up, but I think that Lime is putting some of them in prominent locations for 'guerilla marketing'. it's so flipping annoying.
wireframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 02:12 PM   #33
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The biggest issue are not the scooters, it's that people suck and are dumb. Like this morning, I'm on the path going down the bluff and some moron left a Lime bike blocking half the pathway right at the top at a narrow section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrodieFan View Post
The main reason I hate going to Austin TX is because of the E-Scooters. They are everywhere
https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/11/1...-urban-transit

Helmets, nah.

The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2019, 02:25 PM   #34
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are already thousands of these where I live and they're incredibly annoying.

Most people drive them on the roads which slows down traffic. You don't have to wear a helmet here, so I think the logistics are more simple.

I don't know how Calgary will do this, because if I'm not mistaken, you need to wear a helmet in Calgary.

They all appeared seemingly overnight - just like in the South Park episode.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 02:46 PM   #35
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I can't believe you guys are annoyed by them. A company dumping a toy for you to use that'll cost a few bucks and can move you from A to B in the most fun way possible? That's awesome.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 02:55 PM   #36
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

leaving aside injuries and everything else, I think their CEO is full of it.
"customers will be able to use the machines at a cost of $1.15 to start and 35 cents a minute after, a rate which he says makes the service competitive with public transit."

how is that competitive with transit? if you have the scooter more than 6 minutes, you're paying more than you would to take the bus. how long is a transfer good for on a bus? at least 2 hours, isn't it?

might be a good idea if you're short trip bar hopping, maybe.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 03:35 PM   #37
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
"customers will be able to use the machines at a cost of $1.15 to start and 35 cents a minute after, a rate which he says makes the service competitive with public transit."

how is that competitive with transit? if you have the scooter more than 6 minutes, you're paying more than you would to take the bus. how long is a transfer good for on a bus? at least 2 hours, isn't it?

might be a good idea if you're short trip bar hopping, maybe.
They are almost as expensive as car2go.

Also I have to laugh at people who are annoyed by them. Have never even noticed them in the cities they are unless I’m actively looking for them.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 04:05 PM   #38
BigBrodieFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post

might be a good idea if you're short trip bar hopping, maybe

Funny you say that, because it's actually causing quite the controversy in Austin.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics...been-drinking/

Article May 2019

Quote:
A new study suggests another reason pedestrians perceive them as such a menace: Nearly 30 percent of the people injured riding electric scooters had been drinking alcohol, according to the Centers for Disease Control’s first-ever study of scooter-related injuries.

Quote:
The study covered 87 days last fall in Austin, where the number of scooters in the city went from zero to 15,000 last year. The CDC study reported that just in that short time frame, nearly 200 people were injured in scooter crashes, and many of the injuries were severe—in large part because virtually no one wears helmets while riding the things.

My guess is the state of Texas will soon impose some 'no-drinking and scooting' law with DUI-like punishments. Also, they will begin making parking places for scooters and charge them just like cars.
BigBrodieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 04:50 PM   #39
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

From the article:

“There may be the perception that a lot of the scooter riders were involved with collisions with motor vehicles. We didn’t find that,” Jeff Taylor, an epidemiologist who worked on the study, told Smart Cities Dive. Most of the injuries came from falls. Riders, Taylor said, “were losing their balance or hitting a curb or hitting a structure like a light pole.”

The CDC found that more than a third of the injuries happened to people on their very first ride, and it also confirmed the impression that scooters are a bro thing: Most of the injured riders were dudes. More than a third of the injured riders broke a bone, and 15 percent of them incurred a traumatic brain injury—a potentially huge hidden cost of e-scooters that’s likely to be borne by the taxpayers, not Bird and Lime, the biggest scooter companies.

Traumatic brain injuries are catastrophic and expensive. They can lead to permanent disability in the survivors. The CDC study didn’t address the health care costs, or who paid for them, in the injured scooter riders.
Old 07-03-2019, 04:50 PM   #40
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrodieFan View Post
My guess is the state of Texas will soon impose some 'no-drinking and scooting' law with DUI-like punishments. Also, they will begin making parking places for scooters and charge them just like cars.
Shoot to kill?