Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-28-2019, 03:26 PM   #1341
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
Forget the Guard of Honor, what I want to see is a trophy or shield presentation for the Spring League champions!

My understanding is that LigaMX has an Apertura trophy, Clausura trophy, and a playoff champion trophy. We should have the same, even if the Spring/Fall trophies are the equivalent of the Campbell Bowl and Wales Trophy. This league needs some hardware to get people excited.
Next year, when Forge or the Ottawa Fury win the first half; streamers, fireworks, a new trophy.

Maybe the CSA will have a disciplinary ruling by then, as I am sure the reason for the delay is that all the executive and board are spending the 2026 windfall on junkets to France for the entire month, nevermind the Canadian team is all back home, and the lesser ones on the CSA totem pole get to go down to the Gold Cup games for schmoozing there. Racial allegations and anything else to actually do with soccer being played in the country, can wait.
Old 06-28-2019, 03:30 PM   #1342
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it's pretty obvious that the whole racism incident is going to be swept under the rug.

The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2019, 03:31 PM   #1343
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd be curious to know how many nights the hotel is for, because for three nights that would be a banging deal, for 1 night it would be a total rip off.
Old 06-28-2019, 03:35 PM   #1344
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone priced out the Cavs/Caps offer?

Seems a bit high, but there certainly is value in doing it all in one shot.

Edit: looks like one night hotel. If its one room per person, it's high but about right, but I assume most people are going in groups.
Old 06-28-2019, 04:26 PM   #1345
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFanStrandedInEDM View Post

here is more info on the deal

https://cavalryfc.canpl.ca/road-trip-yvr
Old 06-28-2019, 04:39 PM   #1346
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

About $450 for the flights on Westjet - though you'd hope Cavalry could get a better deal than that. $40 + fees for the ticket, if you sit in the section Shermanator got set up. What, $15 round trip to take the Canada Line from the Airport? Hotels.com is showing a refundable room at the Sandman as being $375 after tax.

If you're travelling solo, its probably market price. Once you get into double occupancy, you're getting ripped off.
Old 06-29-2019, 12:41 PM   #1347
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ok, I am not a huge soccer fan by any stretch but am confused. When the Calvary play the Whitecaps, is it the full and actual Caps team that plays in MLS?

I actually would cheer for the Whitecaps, but it would be interesting to see how the Calvary do against them.
Old 06-29-2019, 12:51 PM   #1348
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulchoice View Post
Ok, I am not a huge soccer fan by any stretch but am confused. When the Calvary play the Whitecaps, is it the full and actual Caps team that plays in MLS?

I actually would cheer for the Whitecaps, but it would be interesting to see how the Calvary do against them.
It is. But I understand they don't play their stars because they don't view this tournament as important compared to the MLS Title and they want to rest their starters.

Soccer version of this:
https://www.si.com/nba/point-forward...purs-fined-nba
Old 06-29-2019, 03:36 PM   #1349
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulchoice View Post

1st leg = likely to be mostly bench players

2nd leg if leading after 1st leg = bench players

2nd leg if losing after 1st leg = more starters
Old 07-01-2019, 11:34 AM   #1350
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some interesting comments in the pregame show on the lousy performance by the Canadian NT and Herdman.

Commentators seem to think that Canada NT should be taking CPL more seriously and that there might be better defenders in CPL (Zator and Chung were specifically named) than what they took to Gold Cup.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Thunderball For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2019, 08:15 PM   #1351
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Foot Soldiers repping Cavalry in Victoria.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1145870484275257344

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2019, 09:50 AM   #1352
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would like to have another look at Brown's non goal. Just to be sure it wasn't in. All the same its good that there was only one meaningless game. Don't want this team to get complacent. Lots of work left to do.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2019, 09:58 AM   #1353
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
I would like to have another look at Brown's non goal. Just to be sure it wasn't in. All the same its good that there was only one meaningless game. Don't want this team to get complacent. Lots of work left to do.
It's always tough to gauge that from watching on TV, but it's exactly why goal line technology is a must for any top level league. It sure looked like players were behind the line though.

I can see CanPL waiting a couple years to do full VAR, but they need to do goal line as soon as possible.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:25 AM   #1354
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's always tough to gauge that from watching on TV, but it's exactly why goal line technology is a must for any top level league. It sure looked like players were behind the line though.

I can see CanPL waiting a couple years to do full VAR, but they need to do goal line as soon as possible.
I don't mind that they don't have video review yet. I'd rather they focus on making everything else successful, and once that has happened, they can implement a system that works properly on a clean slate. The fact that they never even replayed the goal is probably a good thing, let it be completely up to human error while they can.
Old 07-02-2019, 01:30 PM   #1355
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure if anyone scrolls through reddit here. Pacific FC has a strong tifo game, this one is from yesterday.

Spoiler!
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2019, 12:50 PM   #1356
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Some interesting comments in the pregame show on the lousy performance by the Canadian NT and Herdman.

Commentators seem to think that Canada NT should be taking CPL more seriously and that there might be better defenders in CPL (Zator and Chung were specifically named) than what they took to Gold Cup.
Agreed our back-line was an issue in the Gold Cup, but Zator is not at that level. No chance.
The Following User Says Thank You to MillerTime GFG For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2019, 01:59 PM   #1357
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Because I have been, let's say... critical of the club's pricing, let me bring to everyone's attention a promising sign. I just got an email from the club, and they are selling 5 and 10 game packs for the fall season (9 + Whitecaps and 4 + Whitecaps). The 10 pack works out to about $53/game all in, and the 5 game pack is about $59/game all in, in sections 104 and 106 - the $89.90 seats.

This is getting a bit closer to a) what other teams charge for comparable tickets, and b) what the market is willing to pay based on the demand (or lack of demand) in other sections and at other price points.

While this does somewhat undercut the really hardcore fans who bought in for a whole season at the higher price, let's be honest, most were outside of the 3 "caviar" sections anyway. What is promising is that this seems to acknowledge that there is an attendance issue at the higher price points, and although their options are limited at this point, the club has responded by finding a very reasonable and fair price point for those type of seats.

It doesn't seem to extend to single game prices, and it looks like 105 is still going to be mainly filled with comps, groups, sponsors, Foothills tracksuits, etc. (I know that isn't official, but let's be honest, 15x Foothills kids in an entire row didn't pay $100 a seat, and I'm actually OK with that - fill those seats, buy some sausages, etc.).

So there - a positive post about the club's pricing, and a promising sign that maybe next year (or later this year) we might get the 5-6k fans at games that I think more accurately reflects what the team should be pulling in if people weren't scared off by $90 and $100 seats.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2019, 02:10 PM   #1358
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

That's a wise move. Hopefully it translates into some extra sales.

They also have half season tickets now available in those middle three sections, at about $2 per game below what the full season seats were listed at: $46.95/$67.37/$75.54. A little surprised they aren't offering half season tickets in the $40 seats. They obviously expect to mostly sell those going forward. That might be a tad optimistic for enough games that it might have made more sense to try and get more season ticket holders.

BTW, since I'm a numbers nerd and am very interested in how the financial side of things goes, I've been watching the sales for the Whitecaps pretty closely. They are moving about 15-30 seats of those three super pricey sections a day right now. Current sales and reserved is safely over 5000. Edit: Actually, this makes things interesting. Some of the rows on offer are reported as unavailable on main TM. So I'll revise down to 'high 4000s'.

Last edited by Resolute 14; 07-03-2019 at 02:17 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2019, 02:42 PM   #1359
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime GFG View Post
Agreed our back-line was an issue in the Gold Cup, but Zator is not at that level. No chance.
I suspect you are probably right, and I wasn't endorsing that Zator is a Canada NT starter, just noting their comments.

That said, I don't think there's a dramatic talent gap between guys like Zator and Chung, and some of the more marginal call ups like Godinho and Morgan. Hell, Morgan bounced between TFC and TFC II, and Godinho played in Scottish League Two last season.

Their point was that Herdman needs to try these guys out in friendlies, etc. to at very least push the current guys. Really, until CanPL teams get regular games against other leagues, it's tough to say how they really stack up. Even these next few games for Forge, York, Cavs and HFX against MLS, USL and Liga Guatemala teams might not be indicative on their own.

With players individually, you'll never know if you don't play enough friendlies and try more players out.

To use a hockey analogy, if someone told you 10-12 years ago that Giordano would develop into a Norris trophy defenseman, you'd think that person was certifiable.

Canada has a relatively shallow player pool, so there isn't much to lose in trying them out. Playing Davies out of position like that was really quite silly. I get why it was tried (though should have been tried and shelved in a friendly), but it threw off the entire balance when they faced a good counter.

Last edited by Thunderball; 07-03-2019 at 02:46 PM.
Old 07-03-2019, 04:14 PM   #1360
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Because I have been, let's say... critical of the club's pricing, let me bring to everyone's attention a promising sign. I just got an email from the club, and they are selling 5 and 10 game packs for the fall season (9 + Whitecaps and 4 + Whitecaps). The 10 pack works out to about $53/game all in, and the 5 game pack is about $59/game all in, in sections 104 and 106 - the $89.90 seats.

This is getting a bit closer to a) what other teams charge for comparable tickets, and b) what the market is willing to pay based on the demand (or lack of demand) in other sections and at other price points.

While this does somewhat undercut the really hardcore fans who bought in for a whole season at the higher price, let's be honest, most were outside of the 3 "caviar" sections anyway. What is promising is that this seems to acknowledge that there is an attendance issue at the higher price points, and although their options are limited at this point, the club has responded by finding a very reasonable and fair price point for those type of seats.

It doesn't seem to extend to single game prices, and it looks like 105 is still going to be mainly filled with comps, groups, sponsors, Foothills tracksuits, etc. (I know that isn't official, but let's be honest, 15x Foothills kids in an entire row didn't pay $100 a seat, and I'm actually OK with that - fill those seats, buy some sausages, etc.).

So there - a positive post about the club's pricing, and a promising sign that maybe next year (or later this year) we might get the 5-6k fans at games that I think more accurately reflects what the team should be pulling in if people weren't scared off by $90 and $100 seats.
Looks like the club is including a jersey in that package as well. That should frustrate those who bought at full price. Doesn't necessarily frustrate me as my full season ticket, plus a customized jersey, plus the tickets to the 2 cup games were cheaper than that package.

Closed Thread

Tags
2xchamps , canadian premier league , canpl , cavalry fc , fc edmonton is no good , fuforge