Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-16-2019, 08:16 AM   #1
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default NBA 2019 Off-Season Thread

The off-season is here. Here's what I'd like to see the Raps do specifically.

1) Sign Kawhi (no need for an explanation)

2) Deal Powell and Gasol. Powell didn't quite have it and frankly seems to have lost that potential he showed a few seasons back. Gasol is older and while he was good in spurts, it's still not what was expected. Who you would get back for them I have no idea, but I think you could look to Ibaka for veteran leadership.

3) Replace Danny Green with dirtbag JJ Reddick. Danny Green was such a good player to have for the regular season and at times in the playoffs, but the reality was he couldn't handle the pressure at times. JJ Reddick would be an improvement in my mind. Now, if Danny has to come with Kawhi, then you do it, but I think they'd be better off with Reddick for consistency.

A lot hinges on Kawhi, so we can only cross our fingers and hope he gives us two more years at minimum. I think a simple retool to get solid players could push the Raps to a back to back championship, but I do think some small changes need to happen.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 04:31 PM   #2
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pels are trading 4th overall and Solomon Hills contract to Atlanta for 8th, 17th, 35th and Clevelands protected 2020 1st (which is missing in the tweet below).

https://twitter.com/user/status/1141829773007761408

David Griffin is kinda good at his job.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 05:32 PM   #3
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So they just introduced a bunch of the draftees before the draft starts.
Manute Bol's son is one of them. His name: Bol Bol
Old 06-20-2019, 05:51 PM   #4
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
Pels are trading 4th overall and Solomon Hills contract to Atlanta for 8th, 17th, 35th and Clevelands protected 2020 1st (which is missing in the tweet below).

https://twitter.com/user/status/1141829773007761408

David Griffin is kinda good at his job.
Oh and they have some guy named Zion Williamson to build around too!
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 05:56 PM   #5
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

All these emo moments have me in my feels
Old 06-20-2019, 08:56 PM   #6
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't recall this much crying at a draft before. It was genuine happiness. It was nice to see actually. In years past the players were serious for the cameras. This was a nice change.
Old 06-21-2019, 11:28 AM   #7
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

In addition to Dewan Hernandez with the 59th pick, Raptors also acquired Sagaba Konate. Both are classic Masai picks, guys with potentially much higher potential who dropped due to lack of visibility. Hernandez was named in the Adidas recruiting scandal and missed all of last year, while Konate missed most of last year with a knee injury.

Konate in particular sounds like the sort of guy Raptors have had success with, similar mould to OG and Pascal: African born; never played basketball until 16, but played lots of soccer; long-armed, athletic specimen (a little undersized height-wise); defensive shot-blocking stud, with a promising outside shot.

Sounds like Bol Bol's medical report was really, really bad. Sucks for the kid having to go through being there and not get picked for so long.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to octothorp For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2019, 10:47 AM   #8
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I suppose this is the first domino

https://twitter.com/user/status/1143537674529193992
Old 06-27-2019, 10:01 PM   #9
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not sure that it's been linked to before here, but if anyone's looking to mess around with the cap numbers and see what teams can and cannot do, Shamsports Capulator is excellent.
http://www.shamsports.com/capulator

Select a team, then start resigning/renouncing guys to see what's possible for different teams. Note that the trade function doesn't restrict by forcing you to match salaries (like ESPN's trade machine), but beyond that it's really good.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 05:04 PM   #10
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Odd this year that the FA rumors are only swirling around NY, and the two LA teams. Every other team (aside from Kawhi/TOR) are just completely non-existent. I'm obviously not a fan of the NBA free-agent superteam signings.
Old 06-30-2019, 07:52 AM   #11
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
Odd this year that the FA rumors are only swirling around NY, and the two LA teams. Every other team (aside from Kawhi/TOR) are just completely non-existent. I'm obviously not a fan of the NBA free-agent superteam signings.
There are other rumours out there, like Kemba to Boston, but the major chatter is on Brooklyn, Knicks, Clippers and Lakers. This is the media effect. What are the big markets? Which teams are chasing, and therefore trying to use the media to manipulate?

This is also why it's hard to get a read on Leonard. Kawhi doesn't leak, Raptors don't leak. Everything you hear is either Woj pushing the Clippers narrative, Stephen A Smith pushing the Lakers, etc. Teams chasing using their media source, leaking tidbits to stoke the fire.

I don't see Kawhi being a 3&D, 3rd option on the Lakers. I think that is a smokescreen for when they go out and get a few players into cap space, to show they tried for Leonard, but wouldn't go 3rd max if not him.
Clippers are only an option IMO if they land another max player, like Butler or Durant.
I think these other teams are all leverage so Kawhi can get his exact terms out of Toronto, likely a 1+1. Get to the 10 years served, sign a mega deal and that next deal is injury insurance
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Imported_Aussie For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2019, 08:34 AM   #12
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

The major chatter the last few summers have been the Lakers and Knicks who have had max slots available for FAs. This summer it just so happens the Clippers and Nets do as well. As disgraceful as the superteam era has been, it's made the NBA offseason the ultimate soap opera, so the rumours and whispers will always be out of control, especially if the league's biggest market (NY) and it's most hated team (Lakers) are involved. This will be the last summer the Lakers are involved one way or another, but the with Knicks likely whiffing on everyone again they'll be front and center next summer.
Old 06-30-2019, 01:43 PM   #13
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Old 06-30-2019, 02:11 PM   #14
Dube
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Toronto the next super team?
Dube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 02:49 PM   #15
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

oh boy.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1145427218073628683
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 03:00 PM   #16
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

All the hubbub about a Kawhi/Durant team up out the window. Have to think Kawhi is staying in Toronto.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2019, 03:04 PM   #17
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
All the hubbub about a Kawhi/Durant team up out the window. Have to think Kawhi is staying in Toronto.
That was only for a few days. There was NO WAY they were going to the Knicks and KD was never interested in going to the Clippers.
Old 06-30-2019, 03:56 PM   #18
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually think this sadly increases the chances Kawhi heads to the Lakers more than it locks him into Toronto. And he becomes the new KD ruining the league, although he'll be far more hated than KD because of it being the Lakers.
Old 06-30-2019, 04:07 PM   #19
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I actually think this sadly increases the chances Kawhi heads to the Lakers more than it locks him into Toronto. And he becomes the new KD ruining the league, although he'll be far more hated than KD because of it being the Lakers.
KD is going to be out most of the year, if anything I think it helps Kawhi stay in Toronto.
Run it back this year, then opt out and either stay in Toronto or go west
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 04:12 PM   #20
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Does LA have the moolah though? Personally I think he’ll sign in Toronto for a couple years. But I do get mixed signals that are hard to read into. With Magic Johnson talking to him I’d think that means something to him as a kid growing up in the region (though in fairness Magic leaving has shown that place is a fine show). Then there’s Kawhi spending time in Niagara after the playoffs which could be seen as enjoying the area or taking it in before he leaves. Then you had the tweet someone posted where they came across his uncle in the airport and they got their kid to ask uncle about Kawhi staying to which the uncle responded to the kid, “where would the surprise be in that?” You gotta think his heart says LA but logically playing with LeBron is pure drama. I don’t see how that could end well unless LeBron retires.