Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-17-2019, 10:08 AM   #1761
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
No, saved games are on internal memory. You need a Nintendo Online account to have cloud saves, but you can just sign up for a month. And not all games support cloud saves, so for those you are SOL, unless Nintendo manages to save them for you.

I'd be a bit shocked if they had to wipe the system. It seems to be just a case issue. The system runs fine from the dock. It may be as simple as just putting the screws back in.
Edit - Still, I'll take it back home and back it all up before I send it to meet its maker.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 10:13 AM   #1762
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know a guy who's dog chewed his DS lite casing. He sent it in and they fixed it for free, so maybe you get lucky. I've sent a Wii and DSi for repairs and it has always been free. Nintendo is pretty great for service. No guarantees, but maybe if you include a funny story they will take mercy on you. And ask them to avoid wiping the memory if at all possible.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 10:23 AM   #1763
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I know a guy who's dog chewed his DS lite casing. He sent it in and they fixed it for free, so maybe you get lucky. I've sent a Wii and DSi for repairs and it has always been free. Nintendo is pretty great for service. No guarantees, but maybe if you include a funny story they will take mercy on you. And ask them to avoid wiping the memory if at all possible.

I had a similar experience years and years ago, no charge on an old DS.

I wonder if I hit them with the very true sob story of "was visiting sick family member in emergency and was exhausted" if they may take pity. Part of me thinks I should just pay the $100 so the pain of the stupidity of sitting on the damn thing stays with me

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 06-17-2019, 10:34 AM   #1764
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tell them Bowser was over at your place making a ruckus, and you accidentally fell backwards on it.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 10:44 AM   #1765
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
I'd be a bit shocked if they had to wipe the system. It seems to be just a case issue. The system runs fine from the dock. It may be as simple as just putting the screws back in.
Edit - Still, I'll take it back home and back it all up before I send it to meet its maker.
Sorry, yeah, I meant saves rather than games. And there's been the odd anecdote on Reddit about people sending in for external hardware faults and got wiped systems back.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 10:55 AM   #1766
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Sorry, yeah, I meant saves rather than games. And there's been the odd anecdote on Reddit about people sending in for external hardware faults and got wiped systems back.

Only save I care about right now is FFX, so as long as I can back that up a happy camper I'll be. Maybe if I suggest they complete the chocobo race for me to test it, it'll save me some struggle down the line.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 06-18-2019, 02:49 AM   #1767
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure how many people know this, but anyone with Amazon Prime can use it to get Twitch prime, then use Twitch prime to sign up for Nintendo Online for free for 90 days. After 60 days elapses on the 90 day deal, you can apply for an additional 9 months of free Nintendo online for a total of 12 months for free.

EDIT: I guess it was mentioned 4 pages back. My bad.

Last edited by DoubleF; 06-18-2019 at 02:52 AM.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2019, 10:38 AM   #1768
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ The only downside is that it doesn't apply to family account, so I can't benefit. But if you have an individual account, it is definitely worth doing!
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 12:58 AM   #1769
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, any other Mario Maker people around? I’ve already uploaded a quick level, just getting the feel for things but I think it turned out nice:

288-T22-MXF

Of course please play and like, and follow me as a creator. No troll levels, no auto-Mario levels, just trying to make good fun! I’ll be happy to play and follow up anyone from CP.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 07:34 AM   #1770
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Picking up my copy after work. I'll see about checking it out later.
Old 06-28-2019, 09:34 AM   #1771
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

I'll also be picking up my copy today. Trying out everyone's levels when Mario Maker 1 came out was fun so I'm looking forward to another round of that.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 04:54 PM   #1772
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Got another level up for you guys to check out once you’re playing. This one is a little more involved with three branching paths, I’d love for you to play it multiple times to discover everything!

YKQ-75T-DTG
Old 06-29-2019, 11:35 AM   #1773
cKy
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have SMM2 sitting in a bag. Wife wont let me open it. It was supposed to be a present to the kid for getting through school but he wanted Pokemon cards instead. Help me convince her to let me open it!!!

cKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 01:18 PM   #1774
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cKy View Post
I have SMM2 sitting in a bag. Wife wont let me open it. It was supposed to be a present to the kid for getting through school but he wanted Pokemon cards instead. Help me convince her to let me open it!!!

Can you convince her of the educational value? The physics and stuff.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 04:49 PM   #1775
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bowser Jr.'s Playhouse -- collect the keys in his 'play' rooms and try to escape! Spent quite a bit of time on this one.

9TW-Y59-3XF
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2019, 10:55 PM   #1776
burnin_vernon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Is the Mario Maker game worth it if you're not interested in actually designing levels?
burnin_vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 10:09 AM   #1777
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnin_vernon View Post
Is the Mario Maker game worth it if you're not interested in actually designing levels?
Yes, very much so. As long as you have Nintendo Online.

There's a whole single player portion with 100 Nintendo-created levels to go through. Then you have 'Endless Challenge' which throws levels at you and sees how many you can complete before getting a game over (you choose the difficulty) and has a ranking. There's also online multiplayer -- including un-ranked co-operative and ranked competitive. Competitive online 2D Mario is actually really fun, I've probably spent the second most amount of time there (after Creating). There are lots of unlockable costumes for your 'Mii' from these modes as well. Of course, there's also just playing other people's levels from the various lists and finding them online. There are global leaderboards for all of this.

So yes, as long as you have online there is endless content. If you don't have online, it wouldn't be worth it for just the Story Mode, as even though the levels are excellent you can burn through them pretty fast. If you're a Mario fan though, this is absolutely an essential game, maybe even moreso than Odyssey.
Old 06-30-2019, 10:34 PM   #1778
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Bowser Jr.'s Playhouse -- collect the keys in his 'play' rooms and try to escape! Spent quite a bit of time on this one.

9TW-Y59-3XF
I think I would have preferred the checkpoint to be after two keys, since it was super frustrating to die on the third key and have to do them all again. The crusher key was much tougher than the other two to safely navigate. Good challenge for this level though, but I would suggest making the areas a bit larger as it felt a bit claustrophobic in the main room especially.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2019, 10:58 PM   #1779
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
I think I would have preferred the checkpoint to be after two keys, since it was super frustrating to die on the third key and have to do them all again. The crusher key was much tougher than the other two to safely navigate. Good challenge for this level though, but I would suggest making the areas a bit larger as it felt a bit claustrophobic in the main room especially.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
I originally had the checkpoint after two keys — unfortunately if you die, it resets all the doors, so you come back in to the level and were just stuck there.

Thank you for playing though, and good feedback! I feel like a couple my my levels have felt pretty tight/claustrophobic like that, I’m working on an idea that’s a little brighter and more open.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:47 AM   #1780
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnin_vernon View Post
Yep. I designed all of four or five levels total for the first SMM, but put about 90 hours into it on the WiiU/3DS.